Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Interfaith (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Which is your favorite explaination of the truth? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5823)

Honza 05-11-2010 08:58 PM

Which is your favorite explaination of the truth?

In this day and age of spiritual discernment and new age teaching, when people like us can learn about all the worlds religions, do you have a preference for the best teachings?

Out of all the spiritual teachings on earth which one explains the truth to you the best?

I must admit that the simple Judaic version of the truth still holds it for me. I still like the idea of a father God ruling over us.

Do you have a favorite version of reality? Which spiritual teaching is it?

Perry J 05-11-2010 09:30 PM

Anything that makes me see that I AM reality, is my favorite version of reality. No teaching covers the whole reality. But each one of all teachings may have some signs, some arrows pointing me further. A central idea is the Looking at myself . Every religion has their version of Jesus' word: See the beam in your own eye. And every teacher living today (Eckhart Tolle, Adyashanti, Byron Katie, Kim Michaels, Jed McKenna, John Sherman...), all have as their most central message: Look at YOU. Even Rumi, the Sufi poet (Islam!). It's all about looking, and the looking does the job. No, it is not about selfishness. You realize that that what sees, is Reality...

Reality is to be experienced. Reality is not about believing in a description of reality.

Here is John Sherman. Listen to him, and realize that the only thing he says is Look at yourself.
http://www.johnsherman.org/john_sherman_videos/

psychoslice 05-11-2010 09:34 PM

Be Still and know that I AM God.

Chrysaetos 05-11-2010 09:47 PM

I see all beliefs and religions as cultural phenomena, so I can't really say that I have a favourite one. I see fallacies and assumptions in all of them.
They are all limited by their culture, climate, environment etc.

Today, some beliefs somehow appear to be ''universal'' only because of the process of globalisation. None of them are really telling us the truth, but teach us to revere feelings and the subjectiveness of experiences. There isn't any spiritual teaching or religion to be found that really knows their stuff about life and the universe.

I'm trying to think about a tradition that is my favourite, but I can't think of one. ;D

eraser 06-11-2010 03:19 AM

I share much of my belief system with that of many aboriginal peoples -- that all living things have spirit, that all life is interconnected and must be respected.

inspirit 06-11-2010 04:53 AM

Jesus's teachings, but not necessarily biblical teachings.

sound 06-11-2010 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honza
In this day and age of spiritual discernment and new age teaching, when people like us can learn about all the worlds religions, do you have a preference for the best teachings?

Out of all the spiritual teachings on earth which one explains the truth to you the best?

I must admit that the simple Judaic version of the truth still holds it for me. I still like the idea of a father God ruling over us.

I have a soft spot for this version called life on earth ... it resonates like nothing else :hug3:

pre-dawn 06-11-2010 06:45 AM

The best teachings is Zen because it aims to, and eventually does, destroy all intellectualizations like this thread topic, for example.

Elijah 06-11-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pre-dawn
The best teachings is Zen because it aims to, and eventually does, destroy all intellectualizations like this thread topic, for example.

Yes, that can be handy..
I think non-dual teachings point the clearest to me.
A lot of the traditional stuff can be too muddy, it's good today that things are being watered down.

Summerland 06-11-2010 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eraser
I share much of my belief system with that of many aboriginal peoples -- that all living things have spirit, that all life is interconnected and must be respected.

Eraser expresses my beliefs more clearly and much more concisely than I would have done. May I adopt that phrase, eraser?:hug3:

eraser 06-11-2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summerland
Eraser expresses my beliefs more clearly and much more concisely than I would have done. May I adopt that phrase, eraser?:hug3:

Feel free, Summerland. :)

Gracey 06-11-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

my own experiences...........which later i learned fit well with judism and hindusim.

A Glass named Esther 11-01-2011 01:42 AM

Quote:

The G-d up in heaven is the G-d down here. This is easy to say but very difficult to see.

Sangress 11-01-2011 03:23 AM

My version of reality is simply living, surviving, following my instincts and gaining knowledge and understanding through personal experience. Natures way of being, nothing more or less.

psychoslice 11-01-2011 03:45 AM

You are already there, you are already Awareness, you only need to remember that you are that which IS..

ROM 11-01-2011 04:47 AM

But, haven't all religious teachings been misinterpreted, distorted, and revised like a billion times? How much Truth can truly be contained in them if that's the case. I like Buddhism, but I still think it lacks in some areas. But who am I to judge in these matters.

psychoslice 11-01-2011 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rom2014
But, haven't all religious teachings been misinterpreted, distorted, and revised like a billion times? How much Truth can truly be contained in them if that's the case. I like Buddhism, but I still think it lacks in some areas. But who am I to judge in these matters.

yea they can seem this way that's for sure but still they can be good pointers, you can never put the truth in a book or scriptures, the truth is found within, the scriptures can only point to the truth, its for you to Realize the truth for your SELF.

ROM 11-01-2011 05:13 AM

Yep I'm with you on that one psychoslice

Dilchannan 11-01-2011 06:09 AM

Christianity and Jesus's teachings is closest to the truth for me.

feralfae 03-04-2011 06:57 PM

All of them.

Nemetami 03-04-2011 07:14 PM

Mine is simple, All is Love. :love1:

Atma 04-04-2011 03:30 AM

There are four Mahavakyas, or great statements in the Upanishads, which have a profound significance as pointers to Reality.

They are:

(1) Prajnanam Brahma - Consciousness is Brahman;
(2) Aham Brahmasmi - I am Brahman:
(3) Tat Tvam Asi - That Thou Art;
(4) Ayam Atma Brahma - This Self is Brahman.

These Mahavakyas convey the essential teaching of the Upanishads, namely, Reality is one, and the individual is essentially identical with it. In the sentence, ‘ Prajnanam Brahma’ or Consciousness is Brahman, a definition of Reality is given. The best definition of Brahman would be to give expression to its supra-essential essence, and not to describe it with reference to accidental attributes, such as creatorship etc. That which is ultimately responsible for all our sensory activities, as seeing, hearing, etc., is Consciousness. Though Consciousness does not directly see or hear, it is impossible to have these sensory operations without it. Hence it should be considered as the final meaning of our mental and physical activities. Brahman is that which is Absolute, fills all space, is complete in itself, to which there is no second, and which is continuously present in everything, from the creator down to the lowest of matter. It, being everywhere, is also in each and every individual. This is the meaning of Prajnanam Brahma occurring in the Aitareya Upanishad.

‘I Am Brahman’
In the sentence, ‘ Aham Brahmasmi,’ or I am Brahman, the ‘I’ is that which is the One Witnessing Consciousness, standing apart form even the intellect, different from the ego-principle, and shining through every act of thinking, feeling, etc. This Witness-Consciousness, being the same in all, is universal, and cannot be distinguished from Brahman, which is the Absolute. Hence the essential ‘I’ which is full, super-rational and resplendent, should be the same as Brahman. This is not the identification of the limited individual ‘I’ with Brahman, but it is the Universal Substratum of individuality that is asserted to be what it is. The copula ‘am’ does not signify any empirical relation between two entities, but affirms the non-duality of essence. This dictum is from the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad.

‘That Thou Art’
In the Chhandogya Upanishad occurs the Mahavakya, ‘ Tat Tvam Asi’ or ‘That thou art’. Sage Uddalaka mentions this nine times, while instructing his disciple Svetaketu in the nature of Reality. That which is one alone without a second, without name and form, and which existed before creation, as well as after creation, as pure Existence alone, is what is referred to as Tat or That, in this sentence. The term Tvam stands for that which is in the innermost recesses of the student or the aspirant, but which is transcendent to the intellect, mind, senses, etc., and is the real ‘I’ of the student addressed in the teaching. The union of Tat and Tvam is by the term Asi or are. That Reality is remote is a misconception, which is removed by the instruction that it is within one’s own self. The erroneous notion that the Self is limited is dispelled by the instruction that it is the same as Reality.

‘This Self is Brahman’

The Mahavakya, ‘Ayam Atma Brahma’ or ‘This Self is Brahman’, occurs in the Mandukya Upanishad. ‘ Ayam’ means ‘this’, and here ‘thisness’ refers to the self-luminous and non-mediate nature of the Self, which is internal to everything, from the Ahamkara or ego down to the physical body. This Self is Brahman, which is the substance out of which all things are really made. That which is everywhere, is also within us, and what is within us is everywhere. This is called ‘Brahman’, because it is plenum, fills all space, expands into all existence, and is vast beyond all measure of perception or knowledge. On account of self-luminosity, non-relativity and universality, Atman and Brahman are the same. This identification of the Self with Absolute is not any act of bringing together two differing natures, but is an affirmation that absoluteness or universality includes everything, and there is nothing outside it.

Atma

nightowl 04-04-2011 03:41 AM

To me all statements of truth are but pieces in my personal spiritual puzzle.

Honza 04-04-2011 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoslice
yea they can seem this way that's for sure but still they can be good pointers, you can never put the truth in a book or scriptures, the truth is found within, the scriptures can only point to the truth, its for you to Realize the truth for your SELF.

Hi Robert, that may well be true. But may I ask you, have you ever wondered through town looking at all the people and the buildings and civilisation and been amazed by the God outside us?

The God outside us is just as amazing as the God within us. Don't be a hermit - come out and play.

Knowing I AM is very important. But to know that WE ARE love, that WE ARE one is equally valid.

Lady Valkyrie 12-04-2011 10:12 PM

I am not sure from which religion it comes, or indeed, whether it's not from an actual religion, but love is the only force that matters, love is life, we are all love, we are all God/Source/Universe/the I AM presence.

agiosotheos 13-04-2011 05:37 AM

Ancient Christianity seems the most reasonable to me.

unus supra 14-04-2011 05:32 AM

no explanation

breath 16-04-2011 03:57 PM

This.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es_inFeGnwk

unus supra 20-04-2011 10:48 PM

silent gratitude and awe.

Perry J 21-04-2011 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pre-dawn

This is happening right now. A new awareness of the compulsive thinking mind.
Just let this mind be as it is, then it gradually dissolves. A new consciousness develops.
Adyashanti was in Zen for 15 years, listen to hos satsangs. Eckhart Tolle speaks it too. Many others.

This is an awakening from the dualistic state of consciousness, which traps the mind into mazes of complexities, and we also identify ourselves into it. The identification with the thinking mind is the cause of all suffering.

This new awareness arising in so many people all over the world is part of the second coming of Christ, I believe.

A. Consumer 27-08-2011 04:39 AM

I find mine in a simple quote.

I find a really good explanation of truth in a simple quote:
"Your perception determines your reality." ---The Prophet of Life

Since truth is both individual and universal this quote tells me that one's individual percepption determines their individual reality, one's individual truth, if you will. It may go against what is univerally considered truth or reality (by a particular culture or even by physical laws) but it can still be true for that individual.

Elijah 27-08-2011 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoslice
You are already there, you are already Awareness, you only need to remember that you are that which IS..

This one.....

Luckymadon 09-11-2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

All worldly religions have at least ONE thing in common. They all suggest that there is a higher source or higher state of being and achievement than what we see as our physical 3D reality. None of the worldly religions teaches the 'ultimate Truth' as we would like to hear it. No one can tell you the Truth. Truth is something REALIZED at the end of our spiritual journey. Religion is only a 'Path' leading to that realization. All 'paths' will lead to the truth. Our mistake is in believing that the 'Path' IS the Truth. The path is not the Truth. It will Lead to the Truth.

Arcturus 11-11-2011 09:50 PM

the words of J Krishnamurti

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEFRI...eature=related

blackraven 17-11-2011 01:54 AM

Truth: If you don't tell it, it will come back to haunt you.

Blackraven

fallenboy 13-12-2011 07:50 AM

All the answers are inside of you. Truth is what YOU believe. Your beliefs create reality. In reality if you look for an answer, you see logic behind things. But logic is not the truth, logic is how you cope with reality. You believe you have found the answer, but you need to understand that you were the one who created reality in the first place!

How beliefs come to you? That's a good questions. When you try to understand something, you have already created it. But sometimes you just know! Like when you meditate, you are aware and all you do is observe, what sometimes seems to happen, if you ask a question etc, is that knowledge just flows into you. You KNOW how things are meant to be, you get the answers to your questions, problems, situations. You just know! And now, when you know something, you can manifest it into reality (my knowing you already have done it).

What i believe is that all the knowledge is inside of you. You deal with reality pretty well, so there is no need to find the truth, you're using it wisely. Already.

My 2 cents :)

Morpheus 25-12-2011 11:33 PM

Honza wrote:
Quote:

Hi Honza,
In the 21st century the very enlightening illustration of "The Matrix", to us, by the Wachowskis, rings true.
That, and the very many NDE's you may read today at www.nderf.org changed my understanding, and interpretation of the Bible, and, Jesus' words to us.

How many know that St. Paul was stoned to death, and returned, btw?

Gracey 26-12-2011 01:21 AM

Quote:

my own experience is my truth, different parts resonate with different religions.

Silver 26-12-2011 04:12 AM

I like Bart Simpson's version of the truth ~ "I didn't do it!"

Can't help it......I'm in a weird mood this eve!:D

Morpheus 28-12-2011 10:36 PM

TRUE?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenboy
All the answers are inside of you. Truth is what YOU believe. Your beliefs create reality. In reality if you look for an answer, you see logic behind things. But logic is not the truth, logic is how you cope with reality. You believe you have found the answer, but you need to understand that you were the one who created reality in the first place!

How beliefs come to you? That's a good questions. When you try to understand something, you have already created it. But sometimes you just know! Like when you meditate, you are aware and all you do is observe, what sometimes seems to happen, if you ask a question etc, is that knowledge just flows into you. You KNOW how things are meant to be, you get the answers to your questions, problems, situations. You just know! And now, when you know something, you can manifest it into reality (my knowing you already have done it).

What i believe is that all the knowledge is inside of you. You deal with reality pretty well, so there is no need to find the truth, you're using it wisely. Already.

My 2 cents :)

...But, what if... what you think you know, is wrong? :cool:
:rolleyes: