Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Religion (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Religious or Spiritual? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=49720)

undomiel_perian 04-04-2013 03:58 AM

Religious or Spiritual?

I have often heard people say that they're not really religious and that they're more spiritual. I never knew what that meant until recently. I’ve always believed in God or at least there’s something out there bigger than us. I grew up Catholic but felt like I never belonged. I don’t agree with all of the Catholic Church’s teachings. When growing up, I never really went to church. I thought to myself, “Shouldn’t I be going to church more? Am I bad person because of this?” My mother was spiritual/religious teacher and she taught me well even though she didn’t have a formal education. She taught me you don’t have to go to church to pray to God or speak with him. My mother taught everything I needed to know about God. Just because I don’t go to church doesn’t make me a bad person. I believe that I’m a very good and giving person. For me, I think that I have a great personal relationship with God. That’s why I say I’m more of a spiritual person rather than religious because I don’t exactly a particular church’s traditions. Now I want to say, this is just my personal view and this is what works for me. This may not work for other people and that’s okay! If you feel more comfortable going to church by all means go! I just suppose that you’re more of a religious person if you go to a specific church and strictly follow their teachings. I believe whatever brings closer to God then you should go do it.

Absonite 06-04-2013 10:42 PM

For me, being religious is engaging a personal relationship with God - and being spiritual is both how I do that, and how I also lovingly, peacefully, and joyfully relate with others.

So I am both religious and spiritual - because of how the two are interconnected for me.

I do not confuse being religious (religiosity) with being a Churchian (Churchianity).

psychoslice 06-04-2013 11:44 PM

I don't like to call myself either label, I am what I am and that's simply it, I don't adhere to anyone's dogma or belief system. I have realized that I am all there is, call it god or whatever, its just a label, the label really means nothing, anything other than this, is just a made up story about what we cannot know, that is on a human level, what is beyond is a mystery and we are that mystery. we only need to live in that mystery, this way we are ever like a child continually seeing everything as new.

7luminaries 09-04-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoslice
what is beyond is a mystery and we are that mystery. we only need to live in that mystery, this way we are ever like a child continually seeing everything as new.

That's a wonderful way to be :)
I hope to live in this moment as often as possible :hug3:

Lynn 14-04-2013 02:52 AM

Hello

I see it more as being "one" with all things in the Universe. I have walked in many of the Light and Dark paths in what one would call Religion and Spiritual Paths to settle on nothingness as being it all as "one".

I am a child of Metaphysics is what seems to fit me best.

Lynn

It is all good 21-04-2013 07:11 PM

When I think religious I think of sitting in church on Sunday mornings which is the way I was brought up. When I think of spiritual I think of sitting in my garden, in the middle of a patch of sweet smelling earth, on Sunday mornings which is where I would rather be. I suppose that would make be more spiritual than religious?

Scattered Sheep 07-05-2013 07:19 PM

Our identity is in our Creator.:sign13: There, found the switch.

psychoslice 07-05-2013 09:30 PM

I hope you don't mean an old man in the sky lol.

Scattered Sheep 08-05-2013 01:59 AM

Well I certainly am not talking about :icon_evil: That's for sure:eek:

Native spirit 08-05-2013 12:35 PM

:smile: I have to agree with lynn im of the belief that if you want to pray do it it doesnt matter where either.in our out makes no difference,i know a lot of the older people think you have to go to a church but you dont,the same goes for any religion.

Namaste