Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Religion (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Is Ego and "I" the same thing? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129453)

Honza 13-05-2019 11:26 AM

Is Ego and "I" the same thing?

How do you see the relationship between the ego and the "I". In the West the ego and the "I" are often seen as the same psychological thing. In the East it is slightly different, whereby you can have the universal inner "I" which is very different from the outer ego.

I am slowly coming to understand that because of my fear of ego I have actually supressed my own inner "I". I was equating all "I" with ego. But in fact I am learning that there is a healthy "I" and there is a ego "I".

There is also the findings of modern psychology which understands that suppression of various parts of the ego causes illness. I think I may be a prime example of this case.

sky 13-05-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honza
How do you see the relationship between the ego and the "I". In the West the ego and the "I" are often seen as the same psychological thing. In the East it is slightly different, whereby you can have the universal inner "I" which is very different from the outer ego.

I am slowly coming to understand that because of my fear of ego I have actually supressed my own inner "I". I was equating all "I" with ego. But in fact I am learning that there is a healthy "I" and there is a ego "I".

There is also the findings of modern psychology which understands that suppression of various parts of the ego causes illness. I think I may be a prime example of this case.

Suppression of which parts cause illnesses?

JosephineB 13-05-2019 02:39 PM

I nearly didn't reply to this thread Honza. I felt I'd been harsh on you in your previous threads. Anyway, here I am again. Hopefully no nagging this time :-)

No, I think there is a separation, the character/personality/mask and the true self/spirit/soul. I think many may think the ego is being the great I am, big headedness but the ego doesn't have to be that. Could be a self deprecating ego and anything in between these two.

I agree that suppressed emotions can cause illness. Not being ones true self can create stress, in turn illness.

Honza 13-05-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky123
Suppression of which parts cause illnesses?

I'm not sure sky. One would need to read up on psychology.

Honza 13-05-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JosephineBloggs
I nearly didn't reply to this thread Honza. I felt I'd been harsh on you in your previous threads. Anyway, here I am again. Hopefully no nagging this time :-)

No, I think there is a separation, the character/personality/mask and the true self/spirit/soul. I think many may think the ego is being the great I am, big headedness but the ego doesn't have to be that. Could be a self deprecating ego and anything in between these two.

I agree that suppressed emotions can cause illness. Not being ones true self can create stress, in turn illness.

I have never found you harsh. I appreciate your input.

Honza 13-05-2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JosephineBloggs
the character/personality/mask and the true self/spirit/soul.

Both of these can be called "I". Is the difference that one is true and the other false?

JosephineB 13-05-2019 03:30 PM

Quote:

I have never found you harsh. I appreciate your input.

You are kind.

JosephineB 13-05-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

Both of these can be called "I". Is the difference that one is true and the other false?

To me yes. When I say "I" in general I mean my character. Otherwise I say true self meaning my actions from heart. Sometimes I don't recognise my ego initially if at all. Work in progress :biggrin:

sky 13-05-2019 04:05 PM

Quote:

The ego is a false sense of self.
You said,
" I think I may be a prime example of this case.[/quote] " but you dont know what illnesses are caused.
If you think your a prime example you would know why :confused:
I'm not sure what you talking about Honza, so I can't really converse with you...

JosephineB 13-05-2019 04:26 PM

Sky, I could be wrong but you can come across as accusatory, if that's the right word, I may think of a better one. Can put people on the defensive, again could be wrong in my assumption. I do this too at tmes. People will be reluctant in opening up.