Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Music (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Why music is inane and no one listens to it (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=126102)

Lucky 1 07-11-2018 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astro
Gem,

I think a lot of electronic music allows people to let go & forget about there worries & stresses.

That's what Jimmy Buffet's music is for!!!!! Lol!

sandalwood 07-11-2018 12:48 PM

Music doesn't have to always be intellectual works
Music can just be for dancing
Or just for atmosphere
Or just for fun

EndoftheRoad 07-11-2018 02:07 PM

Like many forms of "entertainment", there are music genres/artists/songs who perpetuate the ability to disconnect from thinking. Alternatively, you have music out there with depths that speak to the human experience in ways that only the listener can comprehend. But most likely, you're at a gym, and the music is selected based on a BPM model to increase your heartrate, and it appears to have worked beyond just the gym :)

Kioma 07-11-2018 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandalwood
Music doesn't have to always be intellectual works
Music can just be for dancing
Or just for atmosphere
Or just for fun

Enigma - Amen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM7eQ0lKrB8

Great album, BTW.

Astro 07-11-2018 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gem
I don't kick back to Tchaikovsky with a copita of sherry either, but it is objective virtuosity.

Fine, but I made a point about what is inane, which seems to be relative to individual taste.

Gem 08-11-2018 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astro
Fine, but I made a point about what is inane, which seems to be relative to individual taste.

People think what is good depends on what they like, but it doesn't. Aesthetics are intrinsically connected to virtue, and the great misinterpretation is subjectivity being relative to personal subjects who discern merit as their pleasures, and where that fallacy predominates, all expression is disingenuous.

Astro 08-11-2018 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gem
People think what is good depends on what they like, but it doesn't. Aesthetics are intrinsically connected to virtue, and the great misinterpretation is subjectivity being relative to personal subjects who discern merit as their pleasures, and where that fallacy predominates, all expression is disingenuous.

Aesthetics are only a part of music; pleasure is only one benefit of listening to music. Being objective about the merits of music is subject to perceptions. The meaning of music can be personal or cultural.

Gem 21-11-2018 08:52 AM

As I adulated the Black Eyes Peas earlier in the thread, in the interest of balanced critique, I will now denigrate them.

A while ago BEP produced a lackluster song called 'My Humps'. It was an empty industry gimick that exploited sexuality for consumerism - and that is precisely the message of the song.

Alanis Morissette covered the song by making a parody of it, which wasn't only in 'good fun', and wasn't in honour and respect for the original artists, but contrarilty, it made mockery of the original (which was indeed laughable), while tastefully adding a tinge of feminism in protest of reducing the female form to sex meat to be exchanged for goods - which is what the BEP original did.

See what I mean?

siebenraben 21-11-2018 08:59 AM

I just had a look into it - well it could be interpreted like this - children just don't care about what the adults say (blah blah blah) - they are not even listening - they just say Yes (ja, ja, ja) to keep them quiet and go on partying and enjoying live. And that is all it says - just stop thinking for a moment, let go and let your body get to be moved by the beat - Excellent song for a gym, I think.
Not everything needs to be deep.

Astro 26-11-2018 12:03 AM

Gem,

Yes I did understand your point...