Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Christianity (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Is Christianity the yardstick? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=32302)

Lightspirit 17-03-2012 01:10 PM

Is Christianity the yardstick?

Christianity is a constant fairly unchanging set of beliefs and practices. It cannot change because at its core is the Holy Bible and the characteristics of God which cannot change.

This is a fairly opportune thing to measure things against and I wondered if this yardstick mentality is why some people don't like Christianity because they measure themselves or things against it and get a displeasing result.

Wouldn't there be more happiness in not comparing if this is the case?

CuriousSnowflake 17-03-2012 01:37 PM

I think it's more that the vast majority of New Agers came from some sort of Christian background, and that tends to color their ideas no matter how much they try to avoid it. Also, Christianity (esp. evangelical) has a certain strident self-righteousness built into it's DNA. In their spiritual worldview, it all comes down to a very simple choice; believe that JC died for our sins and you are saved, deny it and you are hosed. If they truly believe this, then from their POV it is their duty as compassionate beings to try to "save" others.

Their hearts are in the right place, I just question their blind surety.

CS

SeaZen 17-03-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightworkerAu
Christianity is a constant fairly unchanging set of beliefs and practices.

Wrong. Fundamental christian beliefs and religions are a fairly unchanging set of beliefs and practices, not christianity. Many do not subscribe to the major religions view of christianity and have different interpretations and beliefs regarding christianity.

Quote:

It cannot change because at its core is the Holy Bible and the characteristics of God which cannot change.

The bible and the way it is interpreted by the major religions does not define christianity or god for that matter

Triner 17-03-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Christianity is a constant fairly unchanging set of beliefs and practices. It cannot change because at its core is the Holy Bible and the characteristics of God which cannot change.

This is a fairly opportune thing to measure things against and I wondered if this yardstick mentality is why some people don't like Christianity because they measure themselves or things against it and get a displeasing result.

I think it depends on what you think defines Christianity. Is it the exact words in the Bible? Or is it Jesus' message contained therein?

If you go with the first, then you're right, Christianity becomes a rigid set of beliefs. If you go with second, Jesus' message, Christianity become much more open, tolerant, loving and flexible. I choose the second.

Morpheus 17-03-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Aren't you referring to the misunderstanding of what Christianity is about? Not what it actually is?

The whole Bible speaks of the fallen state of the material world, and mankind, also. Which aligns with far eastern teachings, especially Buddhism.
The New Testament makes clear God's love for mankind, and, in relation to the sacrifice of God, in Christ Jesus, as was long prophesied through the ages of the writings.
But, we can see also how God was concerned about mankinds psycho-emotional situation, with respect to the ordained animal sacrifices throughout the Old Testament.
Also, He had been referred to as, "Savior", and, "Redeemer", throughout.

Both Christianity in the New Testament, and Buddhism, if one will see, speaks about the connections with, and Unity in God, also. Regarding ultimate, "Oness".
Jesus equated people with the angelic, and stated to His inquisitors, with stones in their hands...
"you are gods".

~> http://hiddenlighthouse.wordpress.com/category/descension/

Aesop 17-03-2012 04:55 PM

I'd also suggest that God, as shown throughout the Bible, actually changes his personality because people's needs change. As it says, he is omnipotent and all-powerful; perfect, but God changes from the OT to the NT in how he deals with people. Perhaps from a God who focuses on the Jews and is more jealous/legalistic/wrathful to a God of mercy/grace/peace.

One could argue that God encompasses all of these traits at different times and they're all perfect, but my main point is because God reacts differently or changes, Christians should not take the current religious dogma as truth without first thinking it through and studying it themselves.

Lightspirit 18-03-2012 11:04 AM

I think I should have explained it better what I meant. In christianity you cant just add or remove parts of the content of the books of the bible or it wouldn't be the bible as it always has been.

Besides individual worship and service styles christianity's central core of the bibles authority cannot change It is the foundation of the faith. The bible contains the teaching of Jesus and our understanding of God is usually based on the concepts we learn from the bible. Thats what I meant in terms of a consistency amongst all different denominations. Interpretations and worship styles are the flexible part.

It just concerns me why people hate us at times and I was wondering if this is one reason or we just annoy them if someone gets over zealous spreading the gospel message.

Wisa'ka 18-03-2012 12:51 PM

On my spiritual path, there is no concept of hell. A horrible place of punishment that prompts me to ask - Why would a loving god send people to such a place ?

Triner 18-03-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

I think I should have explained it better what I meant. In christianity you cant just add or remove parts of the content of the books of the bible or it wouldn't be the bible as it always has been.

What's the problem with that though? We now know that slavery is wrong. Yet the Bible still contains passages on how to handle your slaves. The Bible still contains passages that say homosexuals should be stoned to death. We know now that that is wrong.

If you think that the whole Bible is the basis for Christianity, you're saying that those awful things the Bible tells people to do are OK. So when a Christian tries to spread the word of the Bible as "God's word". That Christian is trying to tell us that God told people at one point to stone homosexuals, to burn villages to the ground, to handle slaves.

Quote:

Besides individual worship and service styles christianity's central core of the bibles authority cannot change It is the foundation of the faith. The bible contains the teaching of Jesus and our understanding of God is usually based on the concepts we learn from the bible. Thats what I meant in terms of a consistency amongst all different denominations. Interpretations and worship styles are the flexible part.

It just concerns me why people hate us at times and I was wondering if this is one reason or we just annoy them if someone gets over zealous spreading the gospel message.

For me, it's not the over-zealousness, it the actual message. The bolded above part is what I see is a huge problem. If one is trying to spread the idea that God is hateful and judgmental and bigoted enough to tell a people to stone homosexuals, or to burn villages of non-believers to the ground (as the OT seems to indicate), then I think the message is wrong worthless.

I'd sum it up this way, if one wants to spread Jesus' message, the one of loving God and loving one another, then cool. But if one tries to spread the message of a hateful God, then just STFU. That message is simply wrong.

I guess you could put it this way. If you don't want people to hate you, don't spread a message of God's hate, send one of Jesus' love.

SeaZen 20-03-2012 12:07 AM

Quote:

People don't hate you in particular but they do hate what you are doing which is telling them there is only one way to god (jesus christ) and if you dont follow it your damned to suffering for all eternity at the hands of a devil in a place called hell when you die.

That whole fear based exclusivist doctrine of a tyrannical, judgmental, needy god of conditional love is ABHORRENT and people do not want to hear it!

That whole absolutist nonsense of "this is the way it is and everyone else is wrong" especially when it comes to matters spiritual that cant be proven, is EXTREMELY OBNOXIOUS on both a personal and professional level.

If you wish to help people, SHOW AND DEMONSTRATE your love in practical helpful ways instead of trying to convert them to your personal religious belief system. There is nothing wrong with talking of your religious beliefs with those who are genuinely interested in hearing them, but if you see any sign of disinterest or unwillingness or discomfort on their part STOP and change the subject. I hope this helps.

You need to ACCEPT and realize that no matter what you say or do, the majority of the people on the planet will refuse to convert to your religious belief system and I proudly, confidently and without hesitation include myself in that category forever and ever more and there is nothing you or anyone else can do to change that.