Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Astral Projection (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   UNCONTROLLABLE Twitching and jerking!!! :( (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=40563)

LucidNinja 05-09-2012 06:08 AM

UNCONTROLLABLE Twitching and jerking!!! :(

Hi
one thing is annoying me verry much when i attempt to AP, about halfway through my limbs usually legs suddenly feel like they are filling with energy and they try and twitch and jerk and its soo annoying, they arent tired at all and it always breaks my concentration and semi paralysis and they kick hard sometimes to, this also happens to my fingers!
so what do u think the issue is?
could it be that i didnt run around enough during the day, is there some malfunction in my nerve system or is my legs like sucking in energy because THIS ONLY HAPPENS DURING attempted APing?? thanks:redface:

earthatic 05-09-2012 06:37 AM

They're called hypnic jerks.

Pyro_Panda 05-09-2012 06:47 AM

I suffer from this problem too and it always happens at the worst times during meditation. However, I have found that listening to a guided meditation helps and if the twitching still occurs, I listen or meditate twice with minimal moving so that when you begin again, you're already nearly relaxed enough for it to stop.
I hope this helped even a little bit!

LucidNinja 05-09-2012 07:40 AM

ahaha noooooooo i suffer from something :(

Astral Explorer 06-09-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LucidNinja
Hi
one thing is annoying me verry much when i attempt to AP, about halfway through my limbs usually legs suddenly feel like they are filling with energy and they try and twitch and jerk and its soo annoying, they arent tired at all and it always breaks my concentration and semi paralysis and they kick hard sometimes to, this also happens to my fingers!
so what do u think the issue is?
could it be that i didnt run around enough during the day, is there some malfunction in my nerve system or is my legs like sucking in energy because THIS ONLY HAPPENS DURING attempted APing?? thanks:redface:

This is very very common and is actually a good sign. It means you are clearing up energy pathways that either laid dormant or are blocked. It happened to me in the beginning as well just do your best to power through it and sooner or later it will subside. It happens during deep meditation not just APing, it's likely you only meditate when attempting to AP though which would explain why it only happens then.

LucidNinja 06-09-2012 06:12 AM

hi i actually do meditate al little 20 mins a night, but it sometimes happens but not often only during APing the it is starting to subside over the past few days but its not gone, i started trying to Ap serveral months ago and i only recently joined the SF so thanks

JamesSilence 06-09-2012 07:55 AM

Theres something you could do,
You could amputate yourself..

earthatic 06-09-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astral Explorer
This is very very common and is actually a good sign. It means you are clearing up energy pathways that either laid dormant or are blocked. It happened to me in the beginning as well just do your best to power through it and sooner or later it will subside. It happens during deep meditation not just APing, it's likely you only meditate when attempting to AP though which would explain why it only happens then.

May I ask why you think this? " It means you are clearing up energy pathways that either laid dormant or are blocked."

I know that myoclonus (hypnic jerking) is more common with people who have irregular sleeping patterns, and often happens when on the verge of entering hypnagogia. While attempting to "AP" using this method, he might not lose bodily alertness before the mental state has set in. Fleeting/abrupt thoughts and feelings that come beforehand will often provoke a muscle jerk/twitch if your body is not yet relaxed (or paralysed).

Xanth 08-09-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earthatic
I know that myoclonus (hypnic jerking) is more common with people who have irregular sleeping patterns, and often happens when on the verge of entering hypnagogia. While attempting to "AP" using this method, he might not lose bodily alertness before the mental state has set in. Fleeting/abrupt thoughts and feelings that come beforehand will often provoke a muscle jerk/twitch if your body is not yet relaxed (or paralysed).

Yup, this is correct. I've experienced hypnic jerks for my entire life... it happens only once in a while, but it's always been there, mostly experienced while I've been falling asleep.

Personally, I've always attributed it "accidentally" consciously experiencing the body falling asleep. You unexpectedly feel a sense of "falling", which you then "jerk" in order to save yourself from falling. It's the same kind of motion you make to save yourself when you tip just a bit too far on a chair and believe you're going to fall over when you don't. Same thing.

No offense to Astral Explorer, but seriously, it has nothing to do with "energy pathways".

Astral Explorer 10-09-2012 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanth
Yup, this is correct. I've experienced hypnic jerks for my entire life... it happens only once in a while, but it's always been there, mostly experienced while I've been falling asleep.

Personally, I've always attributed it "accidentally" consciously experiencing the body falling asleep. You unexpectedly feel a sense of "falling", which you then "jerk" in order to save yourself from falling. It's the same kind of motion you make to save yourself when you tip just a bit too far on a chair and believe you're going to fall over when you don't. Same thing.

No offense to Astral Explorer, but seriously, it has nothing to do with "energy pathways".

We can agree to disagree then I had it happen for a couple months when I was 2-3 months into my meditation program. My teacher sat me down and explained exactly what I said, I am not saying he knows everything but it made sense to me. I have never had it happen accompanied with the feeling like I was falling, so obviously what is happening in your situation yet again does not apply to everyone. We seem to keep having this conversation where you think just because something happens to you under specific circumstances it applies to the rest of the world, I am sorry but that is never the case.

We are all different and the circumstances are different. The person asking the question said nothing about the feeling of falling so why does that mean what happens in your case is the same as his? I have also read that it happens at a certain point on our meditation regiment because it is clearing up blocked energy pathways or opening dormant ones in at least 3 books all written by different authors. Off the top of my head two of them being Robert Bruce & T. Lobsang Rampa. So while I have no doubt what you say it is probably is what you're saying it is in your case I will never agree that it is always the same in everyone elses. Personally I tend to believe people who have almost a lifetime of experience like Robert Bruce than one random person on a forum who claims to know all the answer's of every mystery of the Earth that applies to every single person alive. Robert Bruce offered more than one possibility, not just one single probability handed to you as the stone cold truth because in his case that's what it was. Sorry again but this is just how I feel and I am sure others can agree.