Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Exercise (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Sleep Deprivation (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1727)

Enlightener 10-12-2006 01:42 AM

Sleep Deprivation

Sleep deprivation exercises the mind, as it is constantly in use and not being rested.
Sleep deprivation may not be that great for the soul, as it is stuck in the body and needs sleep to re-member itself with Oneness but it is an interesting excavation if you ever have the time to deprive yourself of sleep.
I suggest a 48 hour period without sleep is sufficient to expand the mind, go too long without sleep and you will start to become retarded.
Try this: Wake up ion the morning at your usual time, stay awake until 6:00 am the next morning and then go outside in the morning sun and lie down, you can even rest your eyes for a while, though don't fall asleep! Then start your day as usual, possibly entering a public space to experience the effects of the deprivation around others.
As it becomes nightime you will start to experience the more in-depth effects of sleep deprivation, such as strange colouring and mental clarity.
This is a time to conduct intellectual conversation with a friend or family member.

You may need to use a stimulant on the first night as you will tend to want to fall asleep; I suggest coffee or marijuana(out of a bong) if that is what keeps you awake, or you could try any stimulant which keeps your eyes open.

Enlightener

Enlightener 14-12-2006 03:00 AM

okay, I just tried this again last night and all I have to say is DON't DO IT.
I guess it was interesting the first time, but the second time you do it (in a short term period) it sucks.

:)

Enlightgened

BLAIR2BE 14-12-2006 03:19 AM

i agree. sleep deprivation does suck. i have a baby at home; while im not deprived to an extreme extent, i do not get to sleep like i did 8 months ago, and it is noticeable. i miss that sleep freedom, but its worth it! (also i used to dope alot which would rob me of sleep, it never felt good to "hit the wall")

Ascended Master 16-01-2007 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enlightener
okay, I just tried this again last night and all I have to say is DON't DO IT.
I guess it was interesting the first time, but the second time you do it (in a short term period) it sucks.

:)

Enlightgened

ROFOL!!! :hug3:

Ascended Master 16-01-2007 08:13 PM

Once stayed awake for 4 days, and kept getting tracks following everything that moved?!

Now that DID suck! lol

Mother Goose 18-01-2007 11:59 PM

Enlightener,

I believe too many people already suffer from sleep deprivation. Blair's right...those of us with kids already miss out on enough sleep! lol I don't think suggesting more sleep deprivation is the best way to go. I'd hate to think what might happen if someone decided to try it on a 'normal' day and they couldn't function well enough to stay safe.

tiltjlp 19-01-2007 01:25 AM

Normally I'd pull and possibly delete this thread, but I think, in light of Enlightener stating that this isn't a good idea, and everyone else agreeing, I'll leave it as a warning against making a game of it. And I'll even add my own personal experience.

I'm 60, overweight, diabetic, and have extremely severe arthritis. Because of these factors, I have suffered ongoing and worsening sleep deprivation for the past 10 years. I am never as alert or as attentive as I should or want to be. I have fallen asleep in front of my computer, and usually can only read for a few minutes at a time. Because I'm not always alert, I don't use the best judgment at times, and have injured myself many times, mostly from stumbling.

I used to average 2-3 hours of sleep a day, and not all at one time. Luckily, my situation has improved slightly over the past 6-8 months, and I now usually get 4 or 5 hours sleep most days, in one long nap. But my sleep isn't as restful or as deep as it should be, and if I'm awoken, it's impossible to get back to sleep. This is a serious medical condition, and IMNSHO, should not be toyed with.

John

Enlightener 19-01-2007 03:34 AM

The main reason I posted this thread was because of my fascination with the effects of sleep deprivation i.e. distorted vision, distorted mentality.

I was viewing it in the same respects as taking a drug.

ENLIGHTENER

tiltjlp 19-01-2007 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enlightener
The main reason I posted this thread was because of my fascination with the effects of sleep deprivation i.e. distorted vision, distorted mentality.

I was viewing it in the same respects as taking a drug.

ENLIGHTENER

Personally I think taking drugs as you've mentioned it elsewhere isn't a wise decision. That said, it's something everyone has to decide theirselves. I do wish you wouldn't promote it as much as you do, as I feel that's irresponsible.

John

peteyzen 01-02-2007 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiltjlp
Normally I'd pull and possibly delete this thread, but I think, in light of Enlightener stating that this isn't a good idea, and everyone else agreeing, that I'll leave it as a warning. And I'll even add my own personal experience.

I'm 60, overweight, diabetic, and have extremely severe arthritis. Because of these factors, I have suffered ongoing and worsening sleep deprivation for the past 10 years. I am never as alert or as attentive as I should or want to be. I have fallen asleep in front of my computer, and usually can only read for a few minutes at a time. Because I'm always, I don't use the best judgment at times, and have injured myself many times, mostly from stumbling.

I used to average 2-3 hours of sleep a day, and not all at one time. Luckily, my situation has improved slightly over the past 6-8 months, and I now usually get 4 or 5 hours sleep most days, in one long nap. But my sleep isn't as restful or as deep as it should be, and if I'm awoken, it's impossible to get back to sleep. This is a serious medical condition, and IMNSHO, should not be toyed with.

John

Just wanted to express my profound sadness for your condition john, tell me does vipassna meditation prior to sleep help at all?