Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Paranormal (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Why don't people believe those who have paranormal experiences? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=118807)

baronesslucy 30-11-2017 02:10 AM

Why don't people believe those who have paranormal experiences?

Over the years I've had many experiences which were very unusual. None of them were frightening but they were strange or unusual especially to those who have never experienced them.

People in my family (none of whom have had these experiences) believe what I tell them (my brother has told me he would be afraid to sleep if he were me. To them, it is something that they are glad they have never experienced.

Some of my friends believe me but one friend told me that if she didn't know me she would question whether I was under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Other people who don't know me when I tell these experiences think I have mental health issues or that I must have been under the influence of alcohol or drugs. I rarely have a drink (sip of white wine) and I've never used or abused drugs. Another person thought that I had something wrong with my brain and urged me to see a neurologist or doctor.

For this reason, I try to be very careful telling anyone about these experiences. I wonder if others have been treated the same way I have when telling others about paranormal experiences.

seedoflight 30-11-2017 06:00 AM

Hello Baroness :smile:

As a child I would often tell people about the spirits I saw,
and about things that would happen... I was called names, I was ridiculed,
beaten up, and sent to talk to doctors and priests. So by my teenage years
I pretty much figured out not to discuss these thing with anyone.
I went into the Navy, and spent a few years in the Orient, I had the reputation for finding the best most interesting places to "relax" and had a reputation for always avoiding trouble. I started to open up about my sensitivities and "otherworldly guides" to some of my shipmates, and found out they were more curious and less hostile than the people I grew up around. These days people sort of hunt me down for "help and guidance"
because of those "talents" that caused so much grief for me as a child. I'm now 50 years old and those I grew up with are more accepting, but still very uncomfortable with my sensitivities. I think it disturbs their "Normalcy Bias".
They would be far more accepting of a total stranger who is psychic than someone "in their life" such as a family member or close friend... Heck they might even pay a psychic $100 an hour for advice, but might not want to hear what you have to say for free. Its because it would all become TOO REAL for them when its someone in their "circle". Suddenly ghosts, spirits and psychic phenomenon is real and in their face... Because they know you,
trust you, and it makes it real for them, harder for them to dismiss, and some people have a hard time realizing there is more "out there" especially if they cannot see it, hear it or touch it...
Just my two cents (opinion)

Goddessa 30-11-2017 08:07 AM

This has happened to me too and I honestly think that it is because they are scared that what you are telling them may be true. It is fear.

Dargor 30-11-2017 12:27 PM

Well, I even have a hard time believing my own few supposed paranormal experiences to be real.

dream jo 30-11-2017 02:53 PM

yepp
iv had it
its in my hed
or i gt tld wear go

blackraven 05-12-2017 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baronesslucy
Over the years I've had many experiences which were very unusual. None of them were frightening but they were strange or unusual especially to those who have never experienced them.

People in my family (none of whom have had these experiences) believe what I tell them (my brother has told me he would be afraid to sleep if he were me. To them, it is something that they are glad they have never experienced.

Some of my friends believe me but one friend told me that if she didn't know me she would question whether I was under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Other people who don't know me when I tell these experiences think I have mental health issues or that I must have been under the influence of alcohol or drugs. I rarely have a drink (sip of white wine) and I've never used or abused drugs. Another person thought that I had something wrong with my brain and urged me to see a neurologist or doctor.

For this reason, I try to be very careful telling anyone about these experiences. I wonder if others have been treated the same way I have when telling others about paranormal experiences.

baronesslucy - I have experienced all of the above. It wasn't until other people in the house started experiencing things that they then believed me. I was having a conversation with my parents one day about something that happened of a paranormal nature. My Dad laughed and picked up the salt shaker and said when he sees a real object like that float across the room by itself, then he will be a believer. I responded that it is his belief that Christ rose from the dead and yet he never witnessed that with his own eyes. At that point I was reprimanded for comparing a religious phenomenon to a spiritual or paranormal phenomenon.

There are some people that just simply don't believe there are any other dimensions or spirits existing on a different plane or wavelength and that some actually do make their presence known where current humans live. It can be frustrating when one is labeled as ill when he/she experiences paranormal events. Stay strong and know what you know.:smile:

Brucely 10-12-2017 06:46 AM

Some people just dont believe in spirits no matter how many stories or videos they see

wstein 10-12-2017 09:38 AM

Quote:

First, 'unusual' does not mean they are paranormal.
Second people are unreliable witnesses, they report lots of stuff that just never happened. Yes some are mentally impaired, drunk, on drugs, whatever, but it happen to ordinary people also.
Third, weird things frighten many people, so they do their best to deny those experiences, especially if they happen to others.
Fourth, there is so much fake evidence out there its easy to just dismiss all of it. This includes most of the 'ghost' videos on Youtube.
Fifth, most people are inexperienced and ill informed about 'unusual' happenings and so make claim of the unusual when what they experienced is real but just uncommon. Take for example the number of 'orb' photos on this site, most of which are clearly just ordinary lens flare. In these cases, its more a dismissal of 'unusual' than it didn't happen at all.

I know this does not fully explain why they don't accept that anything happened to you. Perhaps its easier then actually taking the time to listen and work through what really happened.

Busby 23-12-2017 01:11 PM

I don't think there is anything 'paranormal' or 'supernatural'.

For me everything that has happened to me that cannot be explained will, one day, be explained. I don't mean that science will explain these things but slowly as understanding is unfurled, we'll begin to comprehend how everything hangs together.
C.G. Jung started to understand how the universe works with his excursion into Synchronocities and the collective unconscious.
Anyone who has experienced a true synchronocity, as I once did, will get an overwhelming and even shocking glimpse into the information stored behind the thing we call reality. And I'm not talking here about co-incidences.

I have tried to talk to people about the things that have happened in my life but it is all to no avail. These are personal things anyway and if they get into the ears of the wrong persons it can be damaging.

lowlyservant 23-12-2017 04:33 PM

Quote:

People who have not had paranormal experiences themselves have a tendency not to believe us who have and tend to draw their own invalid conclusions.

SpiritualLee-Lea 24-12-2017 06:19 AM

Truthfully I envy those people that believe what you see is what you get. No 2nd guessing, trying to convince yourself that it’s all mental when it’s not, and fearing if this can happen then this surely can happen. Any and everything can be explained = A simple life.

mihael_11 24-12-2017 06:46 AM

For me, paranormal is normal. I would even miss it if it wasn't there.

The difference from normal is that you can sense it, it overhelms you and it feels more true that avarage feelings.

Others don't understand it and find it weird, becouse they don't experience it at least not that often that they would be aware of it.

When it becomes too strong, you can't deny it. But if you would ask me, what is the difference between normal and paranormal, and what is it all about, i still can't give meaningful answer.

blackraven 25-12-2017 04:59 PM

Para- (prefix): A prefix with many meanings, including: alongside of, beside, near, resembling, beyond, apart from, and abnormal.

I put the above definition of the 'para' prefix meaning here to just point out that in the context of explaining paranormal it would seem the later part of the definition (beyond, apart from and abnormal) apply to what is normal. In my opinion, from my personal experiences, paranormal is not para at all, but actually is quite normal. Just like having a 6th sense or intuition is normal. If one just opens his/her awareness to what exists, then its existence is no longer questionable.

freejoe 25-12-2017 05:17 PM

they feel challenged in there limited perception of reality
in a way they tell your story is true with there reaction
why else such strong reactions ? :-)
if you would have said you saw a real life Donald duck walking down the street
and now understood comic characters are real a far more lenient reaction is to be expected

and than there are also those that say such things cos they are energy stealers and are actually doing that
t bring the other down and steal energy is bringing down

Sugar-n-Spice 27-12-2017 06:43 AM

Because they have never had the experiences themselves or cannot empathise with the experiences because they never had one.

PoppyBlue 24-01-2018 07:30 PM

I'm 41 and still haven't told my parents. I think my mom would be extremely uncomfortable and my dad would say its **. My husband (and kids)support me 100% and love to hear my stories. When he sees a spaced out look on my face he waits then asks what happened.

I think the nonbelievers just never had experiences themselves or they're too scared to even think about it. I had one friend in high school that would close her ears and walk away if anyone even mentioned a ghost because her mom said it was "evil talk." :rolleyes:

Green.Heals 29-03-2018 09:27 AM

I try to be careful and get a feel for individuals in how far I want to explore the terrain with them, but sometimes I can be fooled. I think the reason I still care to share it is because I am still seeking acceptance from within.

Anywho,

The last person I shared some info with happened to be a TCM - I would have thought they would be more open to other idea's, but I was wrong. They practice out of a spiritual center, in which the lady at the front desk even does space/house clearings. They also offer a service to finding your soul path. Selling crystals, and yoga sessions. Also the house alone, blew me away, is built on a vortex of Love - I cannot remember in how she said it. All things I've had a great connection with. The TCM even spoke on the higher self, and connecting with my Angels, but at the same time, asked if I was seeing anyone when I brought up the shadows that were plauging (sp?) me for awhile.

Because with the health that I have, it is common that people with BPD see shadows, and that is a cause - what the Doctors believe - to be part of a deeper shock to the system - to be mentally unwell. Interestingly enough, those with BPD are also SUPER Sensitive - so there is no doubt in my mind that they're not just emotionally but spiritually very sensitive to their environments.

Be careful, not everyone is attuned to their sensitivities. I would always proceed with caution, and ask yourself, if you already know your own truth, why is it important to share - whether or not others believe or are open to it.

Golden Eagle 01-04-2018 11:58 AM

"Why don't people believe those who have paranormal experiences?"

Ego is skeptical , Ego is jealous , Ego is Ignorant , Ego ONLY understands what it has experienced even if all it has experienced is untrue ~

How can they understand!!??

They LACK the experience and attach there Consciousness to their own and collective ego ~

One can only Understand to the degree they have that Awareness within ~

Be Silent around Ignorance (ego) of what account is it? It has but illusions(beliefs/concepts) to draw upon~

girlsearching 05-05-2018 01:00 AM

Quote:

01-04-2018, 04:58 AM
Golden Eagle
Guide

"Why don't people believe those who have paranormal experiences?"

Ego is skeptical , Ego is jealous , Ego is Ignorant , Ego ONLY understands what it has experienced even if all it has experienced is untrue ~

How can they understand!!??

They LACK the experience and attach there Consciousness to their own and collective ego ~

One can only Understand to the degree they have that Awareness within ~

Be Silent around Ignorance (ego) of what account is it? It has but illusions(beliefs/concepts) to draw upon~

I agree with all you Typed.

LillyBelle 05-05-2018 02:00 AM

People don't believe those stories because

1. Some people don't believe in ghosts.

2. Often times the stories are just that stories

3. Usually, there's a rational explanation for what has happened.

Spirit bird 05-05-2018 04:06 AM

Most are driven by 3rd dimensional truths. What they actually perceive as the truth in this world. Most of these people are sleeping and have not awakened and may never awaken either. To try to prove anything or have them believe in your experiences is akin to banging your head on a wall, you'd have a much better response from that action because at least the drywall gives eventually.
I simply believe they don't wish to have anything take away from their 3rd dimensional world that they've built up because this would cause a crack in the hollogram and they just will not tolerate that. To think that there could possibly be more than what their bubble contains may cause fear or from what the society norms intend for them. Those who are still sleeping know nothing but what is told to them through dictates, television, news, etc....To accept someone who is sharing experiences that they can't understand or conceptualize simply makes their world as they know and accept less than they thought it was. Much better for the sleeping to ostracize someone who is awakened, taunt their beliefs or criticize them because nothing beyond what they know in the here and now exists for these types. Very sad, but also very true.

I consider myself very lucky in the sense that I was also given a gift of what I feel is the ability to not only recognize the signs and symptoms easily of those who are awakening but also to discern those I can help along the path from those who will never see the light and are to young in their development to even try to share with. I have to date successfully helped two people (friends) on their path to enlightenment in recognizing they were opening. And I feel very happy that I was able to help them and their development in recognizing what they were going through. And even though I'm not sure how spirit works in every aspect that somehow caused us to become spiritual linked or connected in many ways.

offthechain225 20-07-2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busby
I don't think there is anything 'paranormal' or 'supernatural'.

For me everything that has happened to me that cannot be explained will, one day, be explained. I don't mean that science will explain these things but slowly as understanding is unfurled, we'll begin to comprehend how everything hangs together.
C.G. Jung started to understand how the universe works with his excursion into Synchronocities and the collective unconscious.
Anyone who has experienced a true synchronocity, as I once did, will get an overwhelming and even shocking glimpse into the information stored behind the thing we call reality. And I'm not talking here about co-incidences.

I have tried to talk to people about the things that have happened in my life but it is all to no avail. These are personal things anyway and if they get into the ears of the wrong persons it can be damaging.

I find it fascinating that you don't believe anything is paranormal or supernatural, yet research the teachings of Carl Jung. Is it that you don't see it as "beyond normal" in relation to what society dictates, or do you believe it not to be true? I fully agree that things we cannot understand will be explained to us one day when we experience a different level of consciousness. I also believe that there are mysteries to the universe that we will never get the answers to.

Busby 21-07-2018 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by offthechain225
I find it fascinating that you don't believe anything is paranormal or supernatural, yet research the teachings of Carl Jung. Is it that you don't see it as "beyond normal" in relation to what society dictates, or do you believe it not to be true? I fully agree that things we cannot understand will be explained to us one day when we experience a different level of consciousness. I also believe that there are mysteries to the universe that we will never get the answers to.

There was no one better to catch a glimpse into the workings of the human mind than Jung.
My philosophy is simple. We live in a world of mind and matter and have yet to understand the power of the mind in which we live. Jung called this the collective unconscious, All those things which we define as paranormal or supernatural are, in real terms, actions or projections of the human mind held within the field of one great mind.
Natural or physical laws cannot be broken. There are no miracles, no walking on water, no manna from heaven. Only mind can create and only mind can imagine.

offthechain225 22-07-2018 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busby
There was no one better to catch a glimpse into the workings of the human mind than Jung.
My philosophy is simple. We live in a world of mind and matter and have yet to understand the power of the mind in which we live. Jung called this the collective unconscious, All those things which we define as paranormal or supernatural are, in real terms, actions or projections of the human mind held within the field of one great mind.
Natural or physical laws cannot be broken. There are no miracles, no walking on water, no manna from heaven. Only mind can create and only mind can imagine.

I do agree....to a point. The conscious human mind is a very low level tool for day to day function. Paranormal occurrences and supernatural events are well beyond (para) the levels of (normal) humanistic comprehension. These laws you mentioned are not being broken, they are a different set of laws that our measly brains cannot begin to interpret. It is only by enlightenment (unlocking) the doors to the universe via meditation, OBE, NDE, or actually passing into a completely different existence, that will we ever truly know.

FallingLeaves 22-07-2018 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by offthechain225
I do agree....to a point. The conscious human mind is a very low level tool for day to day function. Paranormal occurrences and supernatural events are well beyond (para) the levels of (normal) humanistic comprehension. These laws you mentioned are not being broken, they are a different set of laws that our measly brains cannot begin to interpret. It is only by enlightenment (unlocking) the doors to the universe via meditation, OBE, NDE, or actually passing into a completely different existence, that will we ever truly know.

i'm not so sure it is 'different' laws as much as basically being stuck in the 'prison' formed by believing in the status quo.

MissCreativeSpirit 26-10-2018 09:42 PM

I was watching a great video an interview of Jaime on the Moore Show today and it was on youtube. She said we need to get back to where we were before when consulting a seer was more normal in the past.

I also think fear is very religious brain washing based in this stuff Like in the tv show Paranormal. He believes in a certain demon so he manifests seeing and recording(Law of Attraction)things that Appear to be deamon-like to him on the show....even if they are simple ball lightening or something that science can and does explain.