Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Films (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Strangest Movies (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=104997)

Adrienne 29-08-2016 10:54 AM

Strangest Movies

What is the strangest movie that you have seen ?

You are not limited to only one, as there are several that I think belong in this category. Taking into consideration, of course, that everyone has different likes and dislikes. :smile: share with us .....

"Effie Grey" is definitely the strangest movie I have ever seen !
A very slow moving movie, and it felt like one was always waiting for someone to say something. Definitely in the odd duck category !

Adrienne

ps just a fyi, lol .... I didn't choose the movie

knightofalbion 29-08-2016 12:33 PM

Picnic At Hanging Rock

Never did work out what happened in the end

Shivani Devi 29-08-2016 02:40 PM

Nothing - Vincenzo Natali (producer).

Quote:

Surreal buddy comedy about two crazed roommates (David Hewlett, Andrew Miller) who suddenly find themselves living in a void. Miller co-wrote the script with Andrew Lowery, who costars as Crawford. Directed by Vincenzo Natali.

My favourite movie due to the total strangeness of it!

taurmel 30-08-2016 03:20 AM

The Machinist with Christian Bale...psycho thriller, one of those you can only watch once because it'll be too predictable after that as it took all your emotions the first time :p

Sarian 31-08-2016 12:46 AM

Clockwork Orange for starters...

ralfy 31-08-2016 02:12 AM

About Picnic, check out the wiki entry on "The Secret of Hanging Rock."

H:O:R:A:C:E 31-08-2016 02:32 AM

Eraserhead (1977)

Shivani Devi 31-08-2016 04:53 AM

If I am not limited to one, let's also try Zardoz (1974).

The name comes from The Wizard of Oz.

If the sight of Sean Connery dressed in a skimpy flouro orange G-string with thigh-high leather boots don't freak you, the huge floating rock head with glowing eyes will!

I don't know what they were on when they wrote and directed that one!

Another will be any/ALL of the H.P. Lovecraft films, especially the Re-Animator series and that movie where a crazy guy traps people in a place and they have to kill each other to escape it. If I heard "Seven Nails Fails" one more time, I felt like throwing a brick through the TV set.

I also enjoyed A Clockwork Orange, in fact ALL of Kubrik's work too is pretty much 'out there on a limb'.

Then, there are my personal 'weird', but not totally 'strange' movies I like...Firestarter and The Langoliers (Stephen King), Jacob's Ladder, The SAW and Hostel series (I like my gore as well), Altered States with William Hurt, The original Lawnmower Man, Donnie Darko, Soylent Green....

Anyway, I'm pretty much 'strange movies R us' and I just like writers and producers with imagination leading to a totally unpredictable plot.

Somnia 31-08-2016 06:28 AM

One of the strangest movies I've ever seen is a French animated film made in the 1970s called Fantastic Planet...Just look up the trailer on Youtube and you'll get an idea of how bizarre the movie is...

Even though it's strange/bizarre, it's definitely one of my favorites for animated films...

Squatchit 31-08-2016 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H:O:R:A:C:E
Eraserhead (1977)

Yep, that's definitely strange.

H:O:R:A:C:E 31-08-2016 07:55 AM

Naked Lunch (1991)

rainbow.sprinkles 31-08-2016 08:45 PM

I just watched a new movie on netflix called Rebirth that was fairly odd, but interesting, and actually horrifying at the end lol. probably not in the way you'd think though.

also..... Tusk.

oh and Perfume: Story of A Murderer

Silver 09-09-2016 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taurmel
The Machinist with Christian Bale...psycho thriller, one of those you can only watch once because it'll be too predictable after that as it took all your emotions the first time :p

I got it from my library to watch - I thought it was wonderfully mysterious, and once I figured out what was really happening, I had to watch it a second time to bring all the pieces together. It was a great psychological study.

Squatchit 09-09-2016 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbow.sprinkles
oh and Perfume: Story of A Murderer

That's a great film. Watched it at least thrice. :smile:

Lynn 09-09-2016 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarian
Clockwork Orange for starters...

Hello

OMG yes I was going to so put this one down. Watched it like 10 times now still do not freaking get the point of it. Is there a plot line to it I am missing?

Lynn:confused: so confused LOL

Gracey 09-09-2016 01:25 PM

(Pink Floyd)The Wall. That movie was very strange.

donnie darko was a strange movie too.

Adrienne 10-09-2016 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn
Hello

OMG yes I was going to so put this one down. Watched it like 10 times now still do not freaking get the point of it. Is there a plot line to it I am missing?

You watched a movie 10 times ? :icon_eek: WOW !!

Just Because 10-09-2016 11:57 PM

Here Are Two

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrienne
[i]What is the strangest movie that you have seen ?

You are not limited to only one

Several others mentioned, "A Clockwork Orange." That is the first one I thought of too, but it fits in my "terrible category."

The first "strangest film" in the "excellent category" that came to mind is "Mystery Train" (1989). I first watched it in 1990 and absolutely loved it, or most of it, anyway. My best friend and I were flipping the TV channels one evening when we landed on "Mystery Train" just as it was about to start. My friend only liked/likes the simplest shoot-'em-up movies. He did not like most of the films I liked. He had the satellite "TV guide" that evening, so I asked him, "How many stars does this movie get?" He paused for a moment and said, "One." I thought, "Hmmm…" Normally, I would have stopped watching right then, but the beginning of this film intrigued me, so I kept watching. He got bored and left. It intrigued me more and more with every passing minute. I was really liking it. After a while I got suspicious and grabbed the TV Guide. "Mystery Train" had four out of four stars! When he came back later, I said, "I knew this movie was too good to have only one star!" He started laughing.

"Mystery Train" is a very, very slow-paced, almost action-less film (it is rated "R" for good reason in one short scene). It consists of three separate stories, but all of them take place in the same seedy hotel in Memphis, Tennessee, on the same night. They ever-so-slightly overlap. You have to pay close attention to notice some of the overlapping elements. The very moody, slow pace is what makes the film work for me. The very young Japanese man and woman (a couple) in the first story are a hoot, especially the woman. She is just a ton of fun.

The Elven Knight 11-09-2016 12:04 AM

" We are the strange " directed by M dot Strange

The Elven Knight 11-09-2016 12:06 AM

The Begotton is pretty weird too

Sarian 11-09-2016 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn
Hello

hahahaha, your post made me laugh!:biggrin:

Pulp Fiction was a strange movie to me and this will sound terrible but the scene where that guy in the back seat gets his head blown off accidentally, omgosh I laugh so hard...(now I feel terrible for admitting that)..

Adrienne 11-09-2016 05:49 AM

I will agree with you Sarian, on Pulp Fiction being a strange one. Not one I chose, but a friend with a strange sense of humor did. I couldn't even watch the whole movie !

Lorelyen 17-09-2016 09:02 AM

I found the black humour of (Terry Gilliam's) Brazil amusing if bizarre.

abhishekved 21-10-2016 11:20 AM

On my list, it is 'Predestination' by far!

At the end of the movie I was confused if I should be surprised, disgusted or thrilled.

ChibiFangirl 13-11-2016 04:49 AM

Has anyone else seen John Dies At The End? Now THAT was a weird movie. (and this is coming from a person who enjoyed Salo and has watched Cannibal Holocaust and the Funny Games, all noted to be very controversal and/or weird films)

The Elven Knight 14-11-2016 01:56 AM

Loved John does at the end, it's based off of a book series. Can hol was pretty bad, met the director at a con and he seemed evil.

Really! 07-01-2017 05:56 AM

Tod Browning's 1932 movie, "FREAKS" ...

"We accept you, one of us! Gooble gobble! Gooble gobble!"

Kine Lea 13-01-2017 11:04 AM

:icon_eek: Tideland :confused:

In the film's introduction Terry Gilliam says, there are pretty dark and weird things to see, but to keep in mind one thing and that is remember to laugh ...

Otherwise, this film is mostly unwatchable.

Gustavo Woltmann 13-01-2017 11:18 AM

I don't know about others but I really find Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy weird.

ocean breeze 29-06-2018 08:11 AM

Mother!

I was like "What the hell is going on?" Interesting movie though.

Opal_Moon 08-09-2018 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H:O:R:A:C:E
Eraserhead (1977)

word.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Gem 15-09-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChibiFangirl
Has anyone else seen John Dies At The End? Now THAT was a weird movie. (and this is coming from a person who enjoyed Salo and has watched Cannibal Holocaust and the Funny Games, all noted to be very controversal and/or weird films)

I just watched it, and how is this not the best movie of all time? All time.

Dan_SF 15-09-2018 01:32 PM

Fight Club.

I do not want to spoil it, but you should watch it unprepared. (do not read anything, before, about it)

It is about fighting (amateur street boxing), with a twist, which could be used (in a way) for a spiritual understanding of what is happening here on earth.

AutumnGold 19-09-2018 03:42 AM

Swiss Army Man
....weirdest film ever
....left the cinema feeling emotions that I never felt before

Altair 30-10-2018 05:23 PM

Hunger Games trilogy.. :confused:
The setting/world wasn't explained very well.. I mean how did that society came to be (in more detail) and what about the world at large? Is nothing happening outside of it or beyond the borders? The talkshows felt surreal. And then there were some weird costumes as well..

Dargor 30-10-2018 05:55 PM

A nightmare on Elm Street 6: Freddy's dead.

No Idea if it's meant to be a horror movie or a comedy parody based on the earlier movies.

pinkmatter7 30-10-2018 07:19 PM

One that comes to mind is Mulholland Drive. Great movie, but definitely bizarre!

SimpleMan 08-11-2018 12:02 AM

Altered States - Give it a try, it shows a different perspective about life.

OmDaath 08-12-2018 09:19 AM

Tetsuo: The Iron Man

The description is :

A "metal fetishist" driven mad by the maggots wriggling in the wound he's made to embed metal into his flesh, runs out into the night and is accidentally run down by a Japanese businessman and his girlfriend. The pair dispose of the corpse in hopes of quietly moving on with their lives. However, the businessman soon finds that he is now plagued by a vicious curse that transforms his flesh into iron.

lol

Serenity69 12-12-2018 11:26 AM

Donnie Darko