Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Science & Spirituality (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The Metaphysics of Quantum Mechanics (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=32938)

seekerscientist 27-03-2012 10:29 PM

The Metaphysics of Quantum Mechanics

The three major metaphysical aspects of quantum mechanics are:

1. Particle-wave duality.
2. The role of the act of observation in creating reality.
3. Nonlocality (spooky action at a distance).

Particle-wave duality and nonlocality, as metaphysical as they may seem, are aspects that have been observed experimentally and so would seem to be definitely a part of our physical reality.

But what about the quantum mechanical formalism that the act of observation actually creates reality? The central problem, of course, is who is the observer?

What do you think?

Kepler 27-03-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seekerscientist
But what about the quantum mechanical formalism that the act of observation actually creates reality? The central problem, of course, is who is the observer?

What do you think?

This is an interesting issue. It's worth pointing out in the beginning of the discussion that there are interpretations of quantum mechanics that do not require wave function collapse. For example, the Many-worlds interpretation, or consistent histories interpretation.

UndercoverElephant 28-03-2012 08:38 AM

The one interpretation of QM I am absolutely certain is wrong, is MWI. :smile:

Kepler 28-03-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UndercoverElephant
The one interpretation of QM I am absolutely certain is wrong, is MWI. :smile:

Care to share some more details?

SpiralNature 28-03-2012 05:33 PM

I'd say its like trying to see a boggarts true form :tongue:

They say you create your own world, in some aspects it may be but to a certain extent only.

Boundary penetration is more mind boggling to me personally, those crafty particles!

Kepler 28-03-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiralNature
Boundary penetration is more mind boggling to me personally, those crafty particles!

If you are viewing this on a laptop, consider this: your laptop gets so warm partially because of quantum tunneling. The electrons in the semiconducting computer chips "leak", and it's called a leakage current. :cool:

SpiralNature 28-03-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kepler
If you are viewing this on a laptop, consider this: your laptop gets so warm partially because of quantum tunneling. The electrons in the semiconducting computer chips "leak", and it's called a leakage current. :cool:

Their still crafty ;) Hot crafty things LOL!

I've actually spent the last 2 weeks going over this topic in my QM lectures, the maths i get, its just the idea :icon_eek:

UndercoverElephant 28-03-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kepler
Care to share some more details?

Not without going all spiritual...

It isn't something I can prove with either science or logic. My reasons are based on personal experience, which isn't much use in a debate about the metaphysics of quantum mechanics. Well...apart from maybe the fact that there's any such thing as "personal experience" in the first place.

Kepler 28-03-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UndercoverElephant
Not without going all spiritual...

It isn't something I can prove with either science or logic. My reasons are based on personal experience, which isn't much use in a debate about the metaphysics of quantum mechanics. Well...apart from maybe the fact that there's any such thing as "personal experience" in the first place.

Fair enough.

Kepler 28-03-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiralNature
I've actually spent the last 2 weeks going over this topic in my QM lectures, the maths i get, its just the idea :icon_eek:

Nice. It's good you understand the maths - they are generally not easy. Which course is it?

I think having an understanding of the math gives one an advantage. It doesn't fully illuminate some of the philosophical matters, but it definitely demystifies many of the common concepts (e.g. "wavefunction", "uncertainty relation," etc).