Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Buddhism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Buddhist thoughts on... (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=122593)

SaturninePluto 11-05-2018 09:44 AM

Buddhist thoughts on...

Hi.

I very much enjoy a Buddhist awareness, silent meditation called zazen, and have been reading about Soto Zen when I find time.

I however, am pagan. A practitioner of witchcraft, but not Wicca.

I was wondering if I wanted to mix some Buddhism into my faith, which I do, if it is alright to do this in a Buddhist perspective?

I know already that the eclectic pagan perspective is that if it helps you and you respect and enjoy a faith, mixing of faith is fine.

But that is only the eclectic pagan side of the coin.

I was wondering Buddhists thoughts on this?

I practice paganism, but use a Buddhist meditation at times. It helps me center, focus, and brings me peace when otherwise my path is not the easiest, and there are times, I sorely need this rest and peace.

Thoughts?

sky 11-05-2018 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaturninePluto
Hi.

I very much enjoy a Buddhist awareness, silent meditation called zazen, and have been reading about Soto Zen when I find time.

I however, am pagan. A practitioner of witchcraft, but not Wicca.

I was wondering if I wanted to mix some Buddhism into my faith, which I do, if it is alright to do this in a Buddhist perspective?

I know already that the eclectic pagan perspective is that if it helps you and you respect and enjoy a faith, mixing of faith is fine.

But that is only the eclectic pagan side of the coin.

I was wondering Buddhists thoughts on this?

I practice paganism, but use a Buddhist meditation at times. It helps me center, focus, and brings me peace when otherwise my path is not the easiest, and there are times, I sorely need this rest and peace.

Thoughts?

Do what feels right for you as long as you don't hurt others :smile:

rainbow.sprinkles 11-05-2018 11:18 PM

I consider myself both a pagan and a buddhist and I find that they mesh very nicely. it feels very natural.

SaturninePluto 12-05-2018 12:35 AM

Quote:

Posted by sky123

Do what feels right for you as long as you don't hurt others

Thank you very much sky. :hug3:

Quote:

Posted by rainbowsprinkles

I consider myself both a pagan and a buddhist and I find that they mesh very nicely. it feels very natural.

Yes that has been my experience with zazen. The meditation I have learned and been practicing for years is very very much like zazen. I actually would not doubt if the book I picked up the meditation from, was using the zazen form, and had simply termed and marketed it by another name.

Actually the meditation from the book did not use a bell or a bow to the seat, but I find the meditation itself to be the very same.

I like to incorporate the bell because I use it along side my paganism already.

Soto zen feels very comfortable, and right in conjunction with my beliefs already.

So I understand very much what you mean when you say it meshes very well. Buddhism along with my own beliefs, works nicely. It adds that balance, the needed peaceful reflective time, and time to step back and think about my thoughts, and work through my emotional nature. As well as that, I find the principles in Buddhism very healthy. It seems to advocate a healthy thinking process. Which is desperately needed amongst the world these days.

Thank you both for your thoughts.

I was not asking in a way as one asks for permission, but rather, was seriously interested in the Buddhist perspective on the topic.

Thank you both for your kindness, and thoughtful responses.

Samana 12-05-2018 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaturninePluto

You need a teacher to practice Soto Zen and Zazen, so perhaps you might like to investigate the online Zen sangha "Treeleaf Zendo" and the Soto Zen teacher Jundo Cohen...

http://www.treeleaf.org/

Hope you find it helpful.

Sam _/|\_

Shaunc 12-05-2018 10:31 PM

I don't know if this will help you at all or not but taoism in China has been practiced hand in hand with buddhism together for many years. In some ways I would call it a nature based religion as well (sort of, indirectly). They don't seem to have a problem with it.

sky 13-05-2018 05:33 AM

[quote=Shaunc]I don't know if this will help you at all or not but taoism in China has been practiced hand in hand with buddhism together for many years. In some ways I would call it a nature based religion as well (sort of, indirectly). They don't seem to have a problem with it.[/QUOTE

Zen is a blend of Taoism/Buddhism. I know of Roman Catholic Priests who practice Buddhism, that's what I love about Buddha's teachings, if you only practice the core they blend in anywhere.

Gem 13-05-2018 06:23 AM

As far as a Buddhist is concerned, your Pagan beliefs are not particularly relevant, because Buddhist ideology concerns universal principles. For example, I'm Buddhist belief is different to Christian or Muslim or Pagan, but I breathe just as everyone does. Buddhism is really based on these universals, and it isn't based on individual beliefs, so people including Buddhists can believe what they want, though there is no room for that in the actual practice.

Eelco 13-05-2018 06:46 AM

It's perfectly fine to worship whomever you want in Buddhism.

The "power" of buddhism is that it isn't a religion per se, but can be used as such.
In the end. Shakyamuni Buddha has found a path through a lot of muck and misconceptions to attain a state of being which is outside of the religious paradigm all together.
In his teachings he does refer to gods and goddesses. Acknowledging them for who they are and teaching them to, there is a way out of samsara.

Even as a god or goddes you are bound by karmic conditions so look further..

As a buddhist that is probably the goal, but that doesn't mean we should stop paying homage to who we hold valuable. Gods, goddesses, life...
It just means we have to push further.

With love
Eelco

sky 13-05-2018 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eelco
It's perfectly fine to worship whomever you want in Buddhism.

The "power" of buddhism is that it isn't a religion per se, but can be used as such.
In the end. Shakyamuni Buddha has found a path through a lot of muck and misconceptions to attain a state of being which is outside of the religious paradigm all together.
In his teachings he does refer to gods and goddesses. Acknowledging them for who they are and teaching them to, there is a way out of samsara.

Even as a god or goddes you are bound by karmic conditions so look further..

As a buddhist that is probably the goal, but that doesn't mean we should stop paying homage to who we hold valuable. Gods, goddesses, life...
It just means we have to push further.

With love
Eelco

I have met many practitioners of Buddhism who come from different religious backgrounds and are able to use the core teachings of the Buddha to enhance their lives and the lives of others while still practicing their own personal beliefs.