Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Spirituality (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Meaning or symbolism of the sun and moon (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=118085)

Snashty 01-11-2017 08:53 PM

Meaning or symbolism of the sun and moon

In regards to spirituality, what do they mean/symbolize? Specifically in regards to people, their relationships, and souls/spirits. I've looked online and it all seems kind of vague. Even a point in the right direction would help (i.e. where to research.)

Anything else about sun moon symbolism is appreciated.

EndoftheRoad 01-11-2017 10:05 PM

Masculine/feminine. Ying/yang. One can't be seen without the other.

Chrysalis 01-11-2017 10:29 PM

Maybe you want to look at Deities associated with the sun and moon. Astrology might be another source to consider.

Shivani Devi 03-11-2017 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snashty
In regards to spirituality, what do they mean/symbolize? Specifically in regards to people, their relationships, and souls/spirits. I've looked online and it all seems kind of vague. Even a point in the right direction would help (i.e. where to research.)

Namaste.

The symbolism of sun and moon in esoteric Hinduism, is what we term "Ha" and "Tha" respectively as in "Hatha Yoga" (the yoga or union of opposite energies).

The sun represents the solar pathways within the body, as represented by the Pingala Nadi (Solar nerve) or the heating aspects of pranic vibrations, while the moon represents the lunar pathways, or the Ida Nadi (Lunar nerve) as it corresponds to the cooling aspects within the body...both must be in balance (Shushumna - middle pillar) for complete awakening and proper ascention to occur.

The sun represents Surya...it is the essence of the chi which flows through the right nostril, while the moon represents Soma...the cooling chi nectar which flows through the left nostril.

The associated deities are either Agni or Hiranyagharbaya/Savituh (sun) and Rudra/Shiva (Chandrashekara) as the moon.

I hope this helps you out.

iamthat 12-11-2017 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snashty

In esoteric astrology the three most important areas of the chart are the ascendant, the sun and the moon.

The ascendant (the sign which is rising over the horizon at the moment of birth) gives some indication as to the Soul purpose for the incarnation.

The Sun symbolises the personality through which the Soul will express itself for the incarnation.

The Moon indicates both the emotions and the areas of challenge, depending on which sign and house it is in. (There are twelve houses, each representing a sphere of activity).

So for example, Leo is the sign of self-identity, the assertion of "I am". The Moon in Leo may indicate that we have difficulties in asserting our identity. If this is found for example in the 7th house (the house of relationships) then that difficulty in self-assertion will manifest in our relationships with others.

This is a very simplistic overview, and it will all be modified by which planets are in which signs and the various aspects they form with each other.

Also regarding the sun/moon, we have to remember that the Moon does not have any light of its own - it simply reflects the light of the Sun.

Hope this is of some interest.

Peace.