Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Christianity (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   people speaking in tongues...? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31957)

shareunity 10-03-2012 10:36 PM

people speaking in tongues...?

Why does it happen ?
Have you witnessed it ?
Why do people speak in tongues as they pray or which ever?
Hmm...somebody care to explain ? Thank u bunches

- shareunity.

Native spirit 10-03-2012 11:27 PM

:smile: Hi Shareunity,

I have seen mediums speak in tongues i have done it myself i couldnt tell u what i was saying as it was a foreign language but the person who the message was for understood every word, i have seen this done many times,
i have also seen born again christians speak in tongues when they pray i have also seen them really shake. they say its because the holly spirit has come so close to them,
to speak the wordmakes it more powerful,

Namaste

CatChild 11-03-2012 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shareunity
Why does it happen ?
Have you witnessed it ?

- shareunity.

I have seen charismatic Christians speaking in tongues, falling down, shaking and waving their hands in the air. It just gave me the creeps and I just couldn't buy it.

That said- I have seen channellers who spoke in different languages, where there was some form of interpreter. During these channelings, there was no shaking, falling down etc. The only thing I have ever seen that was remotely physical, was the physical transformation of a woman in the next city from me who channels an Aboriginal Elder. When she channels him, her face changes, her posture and walk changes, and she is able to bring her arms and hands into the prayer position only on her back and shoulders blades. Also her voice and accent changed.

The only time I ever saw a 'New Age' channeling that had any semblance of charismatic feel to it, was when I saw Grandmother Chandra live in person. I went with my best friend, and we both picked up on a lot of falsity and felt awkward to vocalize it while we were at the event.

psychoslice 11-03-2012 05:13 AM

:confused2: :happy6: :happy6: :happy7: :icon_compress: I personally don't think talking in tongues is anything to do with being a holy roller, rolling around and talking gibberish. We all talk a new language when we are coming from our inner Being, its a language that the carnal minded don't understand. But there are many who think that they are special because they talk gibberish, they think that they are blessed by the holy spirit, they even make others in the church feel inferior because they don't talk this gibberish.

Its just all a misinterpretation of scripture which so many do, and hence, so many belief systems.

Newfreedom9 11-03-2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoslice
We all talk a new language when we are coming from our inner Being

I would agree with this. In church when I was a Christian I was "baptised in the holy spirit" and they said to just let it come and I would speak in tongues.. I had actually felt like speaking in tongues before that but hadn't because I didn't know if it was "real". But now I can whenever I want. I think it's like most things, we know other languages but we've forgotten we know. So if we find a way to believe we can and seek it, it comes. I do believe in channeling too, but I've never done that. I've never shaken and fallen down either, so I don't know what that is all about, but there's my experience with tongues...

shareunity 11-03-2012 09:47 AM

:( sounds scary. Does that mean that when I person is speaking in tongues
A higher power or spirit is in ya? Sounds like jibberish to me. But then again Idk..
About the whole shaking...voice change..body lang and all that ?? Eeek. It's not demons ?

I guess I can kinda understand if a person was channeling wit someone a person knew

Sigh.

Thank you evrybody xoxoxoxo

ciel_perdu 11-03-2012 10:01 AM

I believe that people can speak in tongues and that it is a gift of the spirit that anyone can participate in.

I think speaking in tongues is emotional communication to God. It is our spirit praying. When we give up control of our thoughts and words, we can let our spirit say the things that we truely want to say.

Most communication is more non-verbal than verbal, and I think that people that talk in tongues, generally tend to be better communicators.

Tongues doesn't have to be a mystical thing, it could be done in the privacy of your room. You just focus on a feeling that you want to convey to God, and you just start making happy loving sounds, whatever, just let go and let God take control. Most of us are afraid of letting go in this way.

Anyway, I like what Paul said, when he said that if would like people to speak in tongues, but he would rather they prophesie.

Newfreedom9 11-03-2012 05:26 PM

I think most the time it is our Self, our true Self. Our Spirits are much older then this lifetime and have access to all languages.

As for being a medium.. it could be "demons" someone is channeling or "angels". Really those are just terms, there are many beings out there that we know little of right now. Test the spirits. The message and the fruits of it will tell you all you need to know. If someone who is channeling is giving postive messages that uplift themselves and others.. it's from a positive being. And the other way round.

Gracey 11-03-2012 06:15 PM

my understanding of speaking in tongues in speaking more than one language that is already established, not gibberish.

Toolite 12-03-2012 12:41 AM

Quote:

Why does it happen ?
when the Holy Ghost falls on the person - the person begins talking in tongues its for edification of the person or the church if its a chosen speaking in tongues
Have you witnessed it ? Yes many timesWhy do people speak in tongues as they pray or which ever?
if the person is not in a trance then its not authenic.. all will be in tongues

speaking in tongues happens when the Holy Ghost has fell upon a person no different than trance mediumship. The Holy Ghost is edifying/correcting an individual- that individual.. the carnal ind does not understand but, the persons soul completely understands and does what the Holy Ghost is instructing.. The Holy Ghost Can also fall on your Prophet of the church and therefore it will be for edification/correcting of the church or giving a great praise on behalf of the church. One that holds the gifts of the Spirit will be speaking in english what is being said to and they two will appear in like a trance not paying attention to their surroundings and that will be because they too are in spirit..

Thats why the five fold is very important for any church.. you just have to know who they are..

- shareunity.

All The Glory Belongs To God Forever!

Uma 12-03-2012 03:49 AM

You can google it and see examples on YouTube. I have yet to see where someone speaks a bona fide language and not gibberish. (Not saying it can't happen but I have yet to see.) As with so many so called spiritual experiences for every 100 I'm sure there might be one that is legitimate and the rest are creations of the mind.

Lightspirit 12-03-2012 05:44 AM

Hi Shareunity

I would identify as a charismatic type christian at times.

Tongues as a believer is a bit of a spiritual language and something that is an outpouring of an inner inexpressible joy. it feels good to do itunless your in public then it feels weird.

Privatey it is a good way to pray to god because your spirit can pray for things your mind doesn't think of. It is a spiritual gift that sometimes comes as a result of a baptism of the holy spirit.

It doesn't mean you are less or more of a believer, it is just a spiritual gift like any of the other ones listed in Corinthians.

this is my favorite passage in the bible and talks about it.

1 Corinthians 13

1 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Footnotes:
1 Corinthians 13:1 Or languages
1 Corinthians 13:3 Some manuscripts body to the flames

psychoslice 12-03-2012 05:47 AM

Speaking in so called tongues, is when we are speaking from our inner Being, there are many of us right here on SF doing that, it doesn't mean talking gibberish, its just simply talking from Oneness in your own language.

Rin 12-03-2012 06:11 AM

Why would anyone find it desirable to totally lose control and on top of it not even have any recall of the experience?

Lightspirit 12-03-2012 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rin
Why would anyone find it desirable to totally lose control and on top of it not even have any recall of the experience?

i have never had that experience rin It always is just like normal prayer.

Whatever you are describing Rin can I order a big box full of it? It sure sound like fun lol.

Rin 12-03-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightworkerAu
i have never had that experience rin It always is just like normal prayer.

Whatever you are describing Rin can I order a big box full of it? It sure sound like fun lol.

Quote:

CatChild posted:
I have seen charismatic Christians speaking in tongues, falling down, shaking and waving their hands in the air.

I'd say this is a very common perception of what some might say is being overcome with the Holy Spirit.
What I am asking is what the purpose is beyond demonstrating that one had such an experience? Does it change a person's life? If yes, in what direction and how deep?

Uma 12-03-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Speaking in so called tongues, is when we are speaking from our inner Being, there are many of us right here on SF doing that, it doesn't mean talking gibberish, its just simply talking from Oneness in your own language.

When speaking from a space of Silence, we talk from Oneness, I agree.
However, just because a person thinks they are channeling speech, doesn't necessarily mean they are channeling from such a deep space. The mind can play tricks, especially if the person is egotistical and easily deluded. Such a one opens themselves up to all kind of energies, not necessarily Oneness. And it's easy to tell the difference - those who speak from Silence create harmony around them, peace, love and wisdom flow from them. Those who don't create the opposite.

Lightspirit 12-03-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rin
I'd say this is a very common perception of what some might say is being overcome with the Holy Spirit.
What I am asking is what the purpose is beyond demonstrating that one had such an experience? Does it change a person's life? If yes, in what direction and how deep?

Ahh I get what you mean. Have you ever wanted to have a spiritual experience where you think to yourself later "wow that was amazing"
Tongues is not that experience but you are talking about is. The direction after an experience like that is for me the is knowing there is more than belief. You hope there is a god and believe it but when a big supernatural moment happens to you it all makes sense what those people were talking about. Every time you meet the holy spirit the conviction it's all real goes deeper. It is a bit of a trip, It's a high of sorts. High on love and joy.

It's one of those things that explaining it does no justice to experiencing it.

psychoslice 12-03-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uma
When speaking from a space of Silence, we talk from Oneness, I agree.
However, just because a person thinks they are channeling speech, doesn't necessarily mean they are channeling from such a deep space. The mind can play tricks, especially if the person is egotistical and easily deluded. Such a one opens themselves up to all kind of energies, not necessarily Oneness. And it's easy to tell the difference - those who speak from Silence create harmony around them, peace, love and wisdom flow from them. Those who don't create the opposite.

Yes and that is what I am saying, your own language is your own words from the inspiration of inner Consciousness, but those who are completely in the mind cannot understand what has been said, this is why so many are trying to find Enlightenment, if they only listened with full convection to the one that has tasted Consciousness, and follow the words that have been uttered they would find themselves also tasting the pureness of Consciousness, then from there they to will speak a new language, and they also then can help another to find their way, and so it goes on.

Juanita 12-03-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rin

Meaning no disrespect, but I "have' witnessed this "so called" speaking in tongues and it "does" appear to be gibberish to me, but then they all went into another room and started gossiping about other members.....so no, it did not appear to change them for the better or change their lives........and it "was" creepy............

Lightspirit 12-03-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juanita
Meaning no disrespect, but I "have' witnessed this "so called" speaking in tongues and it "does" appear to be gibberish to me, but then they all went into another room and started gossiping about other members.....so no, it did not appear to change them for the better or change their lives........and it "was" creepy............

Gossiping is a very bad thing indeed. One thing to also consider that people forget any spiritual improvements we try to atatin may not be instant for all and some may be further along the path and are he good example you wish you saw.

Lol put 50 people together in just about anything and getting them not to gossip about something is as about easy as holding back the ocean tides.

Juanita 13-03-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Gossiping is a very bad thing indeed. One thing to also consider that people forget any spiritual improvements we try to atatin may not be instant for all and some may be further along the path and are he good example you wish you saw.

Lol put 50 people together in just about anything and getting them not to gossip about something is as about easy as holding back the ocean tides.

seriously, I don't think that this "speaking in tongues" means anything at all and is just part of their religious service.....Speaking ill of others behind their back doesn't show spiritual improvement in any way as they have been doing this their whole lives......but its kind of you to give them the benefit of the doubt......

Rin 14-03-2012 03:04 AM

Quote:

Ahh I get what you mean. Have you ever wanted to have a spiritual experience where you think to yourself later "wow that was amazing"
Tongues is not that experience but you are talking about is. The direction after an experience like that is for me the is knowing there is more than belief. You hope there is a god and believe it but when a big supernatural moment happens to you it all makes sense what those people were talking about. Every time you meet the holy spirit the conviction it's all real goes deeper. It is a bit of a trip, It's a high of sorts. High on love and joy.

It's one of those things that explaining it does no justice to experiencing it.

"wow that was amazing". What concerns me here is that this "wow that was amazing" seems to come from other people reporting back to the person. It doesn't seem to be created by a first hand experience which imo would require some kind of recall of the experience. Such recall seems to be totally lacking, people seem to go unconscious.

Lightspirit 14-03-2012 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rin
"wow that was amazing". What concerns me here is that this "wow that was amazing" seems to come from other people reporting back to the person. It doesn't seem to be created by a first hand experience which imo would require some kind of recall of the experience. Such recall seems to be totally lacking, people seem to go unconscious.

Actually being involved in it many times I just realised you guys are getting talking in tongues confused with being slain in the spirit.

They are very different.

Slain In the spirit is like a lightheadedness full of joy while you are totally conscious. You sorta go weak all over but you remember it all. You get overcome with something that comes on you thats really cool and irresistible.

A baptism in the holy spirit might happen while you are standing up or where ever you are in gods presence. It could make you have heightened emotions.

One time it happened to me I could not stop tears of happiness. For once in my life I felt acceptable in the presence of God for a little while.

Talking in tongues is just praying to god in spiritual gibberish sounding language. it feels good but is nothing like the other things I said above it could be the result of one of those things.

For christians The spirit baptism of the holy spirit at conversion or later on brings with it spiritual gifts from God and tongues MAY be one among many others.

I'll put some verses in to help you understand how as Christians we view this.

1 Now about the gifts of the Spirit, brothers and sisters, I do not want you to be uninformed. 2 You know that when you were pagans, somehow or other you were influenced and led astray to mute idols. 3 Therefore I want you to know that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus be cursed,” and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.

4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.

7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.[b] 11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.

Lots of gifts you could get, tongues is just a little least important one. Its great to pray to god with by yourself in private.

Rin 14-03-2012 05:29 AM

As the people who speak in tongues do not know what they are actually saying is it not just part of an emotional roller coasting ride? What I mean, isn't there something happening underneath, and the speaking in tongues is just a pointer to this happening?
If this interpretation is correct, why the emphasis on the speaking in tongues and nothing on what happens underneath?

As it is called a gift, let me use that imagery. Talking in tongues is the wrapping paper but not the real gift. Why get excited about and wrapped up in (pun intended) the wrapping paper?
And if it is not the real gift how is that unearthed?

Comments?

Lightspirit 14-03-2012 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rin
As the people who speak in tongues do not know what they are actually saying is it not just part of an emotional roller coasting ride? What I mean, isn't there something happening underneath, and the speaking in tongues is just a pointer to this happening?
If this interpretation is correct, why the emphasis on the speaking in tongues and nothing on what happens underneath?

As it is called a gift, let me use that imagery. Talking in tongues is the wrapping paper but not the real gift. Why get excited about and wrapped up in (pun intended) the wrapping paper?

Comments?

Ah Rin I like it you are full of questions.

I am going to have to answer you from a christians perspective on this, which is my only concept of tongues.

As it is called a gift, let me use that imagery. Talking in tongues is the wrapping paper but not the real gift.

The the big gift is salvation via christ. The external manifestation of the infilling of the holy spirit is the visible gifts, tongues being one of those gifts.

All gifts given by the holy spirit are others focussed. wisdom, teaching, helping, prophecy etc. They are given to help build other people up. which in turn always makes you feel better.

Why get excited about and wrapped up in (pun intended) the wrapping paper?

Lol I dont and most christians don't make a is a gift with a correct time and place for its application. its a tool for a purpose.

Why someone might be excited?

When it happens to a believer It may feel like a supernatural confirmation the holy spirit is real and therefore God is a living God.
For them Tongues might be a form of praise to god. they are worshipping the way they choose. Its a personal thing there.

The big gift- eternal life in the future and life with Christ now!

step 1-

You pray to God via Jesus and renounce sin and your old life and accept Jesus as lord and saviour who died in place of you so you can be put right with god through faith.

step 2- Soon after the holy spirit comes on you in a noticeable way which will be the first of many times and might give you a glow like you may have never known. most people I know enter a life changing positive supernatural real experience. Its much more than physical or mental. Lots of strange coincidences start to occur as God uses you and other people to make good things happen.

A transformation begins..

A new christian needs to be given gifts to undertake the journey. thats what the gifts of the spirit are and why they come when the holy spirit enters you either mildly or dramatically.

Its all kind of a constant reminder the holy spirit is accompanying you. It encourages the believer.

I guess this is why they call it the Good news of the gospel.

Rin 14-03-2012 09:23 AM

That is a fairly comprehensive reply. Thanks.

Juanita 15-03-2012 09:27 PM

well no disrespect intended, but it sounds like a form of mass hysteria........

Kaceykat 15-03-2012 10:39 PM

... I once heard a Southern Baptist church singing in tongues and it sounded like a choir of angels, all peace, and interlocking harmonies, and yet all unrehearsed. Just worshipping together, not hysterical at all. Beautiful. I was amazed.

I'm a New England Catholic so it's not like I'm rooting for my own team here :)

shareunity 16-03-2012 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaceykat
... I once heard a Southern Baptist church singing in tongues and it sounded like a choir of angels, all peace, and interlocking harmonies, and yet all unrehearsed. Just worshipping together, not hysterical at all. Beautiful. I was amazed.

I'm a New England Catholic so it's not like I'm rooting for my own team here :)

Sounds crazyyy!!!!! :)

Boldylocks 07-04-2012 02:33 PM

Speaking in tongues can be a gift from the Holy Spirit- in this case it is not gibberish, but is actually actual words of another language spoken through that person via the Holy spirit---be it another human language, or a language that does not exist on this earth. Some say that many who speak in tongues are speaking a language of the angels... or maybe another intelligent race on another planet , for all we know.

The key is, that these words honor the Creator-- and at the same time, they heal the person's soul when the Holy Spirit speaks them through a person.

Not all have this gift. Many think they are speaking in tongues, but it is not from the Holy Spirit- but from an entity or spirit using their mouth.
Also, God does not give this gift to the curious, which is why most of Christianity today doesnt speak in tongues.
It is a gift given only to those who sincerely have devoted their souls and lives back to God- out of love to Him and not for what they can get from Him as some form of "Santa Claus" provider.

I do not have this gift. Maybe one day at my death bed, the Lord may give it to me. The important thing is that He becomes the main focus of my life- and whatever He wants to give me is for Him to decide the "when & where". My pastor mentioned that some may never receive this gift until after they leave their body after death- God has good reasons for each individual.

Seawolf 07-04-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Why does it happen ?
Have you witnessed it ?

- shareunity.

I spoke in tongues because it's what other people did. Personally I didn't feel comforable with it, so I asked God to tell me what to do. I felt inspired to open the bible to a random page, put my finger on a verse and, no lie, it said 'Stop babbling.'

I was ashamed and stopped doing it. Not ashamed in a bad way, but in a God is awesome and I don't know as much as I thought I did kind of way.

jojo50 08-04-2012 05:37 PM

First many need to understand what speaking “in tongues” really meant. It meant speaking ANOTHER earthly language. It‘s not mumbling sounds only Jehovah God …or Jesus would know. That‘s just another trick satan uses to draw many away from the truth.(Ephe.6:11 -Put on the whole Armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles, (tricks), of the devil). Instead of following what many false ministers teach. Many don’t even wonder why Jesus NEVER did it, or taught others to do it. And why not even throughout the bible, before the Pentecost situation, (Acts.2:1-11), “speaking in tongues” were not mention.

If many wasn’t blinded by the false teachings satan planted into many ministers minds. They would understand clearly when reading Acts. These men were speaking a language of other men ,(verses 6-8 “Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born“)? there were NO gibberish going on.

Jehovah God wants us to learn the truth. he wouldn’t make any man speak gibberish, then allow them to say, this is Jesus speaking though us, or whatever. Knowing man can and does relate to the flock what he want them to believe. Many who’s like myself, would wonder if he’s just making this **** up. God isn’t for confusion, (1Cor.14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order. And verse 33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints).
:smile:

Enigmatic Spammos 08-04-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Why does it happen ?
Have you witnessed it ?

- shareunity.

I think that the majority of these people are possessed.
Speaking in tongues means people who don't speak your language would understand what you are saying. Google search St. Vincent Ferrer. He had a genuine gift of tongues; a supernatural gift of the Holy Spirit.

Lightspirit 08-04-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enigmatic Spammos
I think that the majority of these people are possessed.
Speaking in tongues means people who don't speak your language would understand what you are saying. Google search St. Vincent Ferrer. He had a genuine gift of tongues; a supernatural gift of the Holy Spirit.

lol possesssed by holy spirit I hope.

Typing in toungues.

hvhbguihuhiu hioushuiohufohpufh[ iuashfouihapuhfophfo ugui osugfiog iou

Enigmatic Spammos 09-04-2012 02:01 AM

Quote:

lol possesssed by holy spirit I hope.

Typing in toungues.

hvhbguihuhiu hioushuiohufohpufh[ iuashfouihapuhfophfo ugui osugfiog iou

No, I think they are possessed by evil spirits, demons. In doing so they make fun of Christinaity and confuse a great majority of people. These people think spirituality and the growth in sanctity is based upon such acrobatic body movements and spoken nonsense.

Zem 09-04-2012 02:41 PM

I don't think speaking in tongues is a bad thing. What I do think is a bad thing is the self-righteousness that often comes along with people who do it. A lot of people say it's a "special gift" that not everyone has. This is a bunch of bologna, and as a result of this "in-crowd" mentality, it causes a lot of people to just start spouting out crazy words in the hopes of being recognized as someone who is "chosen" by God to speak in tongues. It's like the story of the Emperors New Clothes where everyone pretends that the Emperor is not actually naked, because if they can't see his new clothes (which don't actually exist) it will mean that they are not fit for their role in society (according to the conmen who "made" the new clothes in the first place.)

It's fine for people to speak in tongues, as long as they're not doing it for the wrong motivation (i.e. to be seen by men/women). I think a lot of people pretend that when they speak in tongues it's entirely the workings of the Holy Spirit, and there is no conscious effort on their part. I also think this is a bunch of bologna. ANYONE can speak in tongues, and ANYONE can express their emotions towards God in the form of these words.

Mary Baker 09-04-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

I answered this previously but cannot find my post. Perhaps this happened in a Baptist church in the south, but not likely in a Southern Baptist which is a particular denomination of Baptist. There are several other Baptist denominations.
Having been a member of several Southern Baptist Churches as I moved from one town to another and changed membership to the Southern Baptist church near me. and having been a Southern Baptist for 64 years, I have never heard of either singing or speaking in tongues being a part of the worship service. I also have not heard of it being practiced in private worship but I cannot know about that.

The Baptist I know tend to believe that on the Day of Pentecost in the book of Acts a miracle occurred which enabled the hearers to understand the witness of the apostles, especially named is Peter, though there were people of various nations gathered there to celebrate Pentecost. (A Jewish feast day comemorating the Law being given to Moses.)

However, knowing quite well and being related to some Pentecostal Christians and attending services often as a guest I am convinced of the sincerity of people "speaking in tongues" though I do not know exactly what it is.
It seem likely to me it is abandoning control of the sounds one makes and allowing a spontanious flow of sounds to emerge in wordless spiritual praise of God.

However, I know nothing except the fact of my own existence. I consider it impossible to know anything else.

I do have strong faith in a number of things including a true and living, loving God and the guidance of his Holy Spirit.

Miss Hepburn 06-06-2012 06:35 PM

No offense to anyone, but I think the people to listen to are the ones that have been Baptised in the Holy Spirit
and now pray or speak in tongues.
Otherwise, it appears to only be speculation, interpretation and even emotional.

I looked from the outside for years with simple curiousity.
No emotion, no fear of the unknown, no creepiness....just 'what the heck is this and I would like to do that' ----
I mean, if it is a Gift of the Holy Spirit....I'd like it, too.

So, in July 2009 - I "did it", and am very happy I did.
It did make a difference in my life.

I may pray in tongues for 15 minutes as I drive to some gathering.
I am amazed at what a different person I am when I start interacting with people.
I'm all of a sudden more witty, funnier, clearer, more "on".
Like, who is this person?

I sure didn't feel that way getting ready to go to the group.

I have been cured within 5-10 minutes of severe heat stroke - severe - just praying in tongues alone
miserable on my bed as red as a lobster with everything from my neck
up throbbing...
knowing my entire day is ruined and this will take a day to recover from...
I'm Swedish and for some reason have never been able to take a sauna or the sun for too long without being miserable for maybe 6 hours.
So, I really know heat stroke.

I can't explain what praying in tongues is...it sounds like Korean,
Hindi, Cherokee gibberish to me, also... pretty gibberish,
but it just flows out of me.
I love it, whatever it is.

So scoof all you want, think or interpret the Bible whatever way you want - but
I do it in privacy and love it.

Nothing else I can say, I guess.

S-word 07-06-2012 05:05 AM

Quote:

:confused2: :happy6: :happy6: :happy7: :icon_compress: I personally don't think talking in tongues is anything to do with being a holy roller, rolling around and talking gibberish. We all talk a new language when we are coming from our inner Being, its a language that the carnal minded don't understand. But there are many who think that they are special because they talk gibberish, they think that they are blessed by the holy spirit, they even make others in the church feel inferior because they don't talk this gibberish.

Its just all a misinterpretation of scripture which so many do, and hence, so many belief systems.

I have witnessed certain individuals who, while in a state of deep meditation, or hypnosis, appear to relive a past life, which I believe is simply a merging of the present mind with the living mind of one of their apparent dead ancestors, where, through the senses of their ancestor in the past, they are able to experience the life and environment of that time, and while in their present apparent comatose state, they speak in the tongue of their ancient ancestor, a language which they of the present have never before heard.

It is my belief that the mind of the past, who has received a visitation of the mind of one of his far distant, and at that point in time, unborn descendant of the future, through the mind of his as yet unborn descendant, the ancestor receives visions of the future: visions for which in his day, the terminology to express that which he is seeing, had not yet evolved.

To him, a Black Hawk Helicopter would be seen as a grasshopper that spits fire from its tail, with wings above its head that roar with the sound of a mighty waterfall as it moves.

Perhaps one day, you may receive a visitation from one of your as yet unborn descendants of the future, and through the visions you receive while merged with their fourth dimensional mind, you may babble incoherent words in a language of the far and distant future, as you utter prophetic words of things that have happened in their already determined past, but which, are yet in your undetermined future.

Just as we, who are micro universal bodies, which are created in the image and likeness of the macro universal body, develop a mind/spirit, that is the controlling godhead to our bodies, so too, the macro universal body has evolved within itself a Supreme Personality of Godhead, which is the greater evolved "collective mind" of mankind, or the "Light of Man," who was the light and the life within the creative God at the beginning of this cycle of universal activity.

To the scientist, “Mankind” is the observable most high in the creation, and Lord of creatures, to the true religious mind, Mankind, who is the physical most high to have evolved within the macro body, is but the prototype of the Most High invisible Mind/Spirit to have evolved and he is “The Son of Man” who is Lord of all spirits and the supreme personality of Godhead and ruler of this created universal body.

Just as it is possible for you, the mind/spirit, to pass through the veil into the inner most sanctuary, which veil has now been torn, giving you access to the holy of holies within, and there, communicate with your seemingly dead ancestors in their own particular point in time, so too the “Son of Man,” who dwells in the higher and invisible dimension, can descend into his dead past, within his universal body, and communicate with his ancestral minds who dwell within him.

Come travel with me on a journey through time;
Not in some capsule, but in our minds.
To the inner most sanctuary will we descend,
To the single cell from which your body began.
In the Holy of Holies, where all is one,
Where all of space and time is joined.
We'll mingle there with other minds,
From other lands, in other times.
Minds of the past who seem dead and gone
And minds of the future, who are yet unborn.
For they in THEIR time, whether here on this world,
Or some distant planet to which they've been lured,
Will enter their inner most sanctuary too,
And there perhaps, they might merge with you.
Ah! To travel through space in the wink of an eye
Merged with your child from some world way on high,
And if this is but madness, then madness it be,
So come my mad brothers, come, fly with me....By S-word.

A two dimensional being, having width and breadth, but no height, could only experience a one dimensional world. All shapes to that being, whether they are square, circular, triangles, etc, etc, would appear as one dimensional lines, unless it was lifted up by some outside force in order to look down from above on his two dimensional world.

So too, we, the invisible fourth dimensional minds that are developing in these three dimensional bodies, are able to descend through time and visit our (Not dead) but living ancestors in their point in time, and while merged with our minds, they will speak in the tongues of angels/spirits, who ascend and descend on the heads of man.

There are of course, those actors who roll around the floor talking gibberish, like someone possessed of demons.