Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Love & Relationships -Friends and Family (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What should I say to church acquaintances who say they love me? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=117008)

SpiritualNovice 19-09-2017 06:12 AM

What should I say to church acquaintances who say they love me?

I go to church and when there a lot of people say they love me and I always respond back with I love you too. I am pretty sure that I don't love these people. They are basically strangers to me accept for the fact that I know they go to my church. What should I say say to these people when they say I love you because I think they expect for me to say it back? Should I just keep saying it to them even if I don't mean it to spare their feelings?

Clover 19-09-2017 10:44 AM

All churches are different and have different rules/protocols. Would you be open to explore a new one? Could be one option.

Saying "I love you", would seem awkward to say to strangers for me personally. I was with the Catholic church and we have a 'greeting' ritual where you shake hands with the people sitting around you and you say "Peace be with you". (hey, could be alternative words for you to say rather than love)? Still touching strangers really made me deeply uncomfortable and made me not want go to church but I found a strategy to just sit at the outside end on the benches, away from people. :D This way, I would just smile and nod at folks sitting close to me. To add, I really did enjoy mass even though church/religion is a thing of the past for me these days.

Brucely 19-09-2017 11:41 AM

"Peace and love" U could just think of hippie love when u say it. As long as someone is kind, it's easy to 'love' them in that context

Clover 19-09-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucely
"Peace and love" U could just think of hippie love when u say it. As long as someone is kind, it's easy to 'love' them in that context

That sounds like a good suggestion!

Miss Hepburn 19-09-2017 02:07 PM

Hi SN, for short,

Always be honest to yourself and God within, I say.
Your honesty will be a source of inspiration to all...esp to yourself.

We could brainstorm as to what you could say ...in your lingo...But,
I would say..."May God fill my heart so I may say be able to say the same thing back to you. You are so blessed."

"You are so blessed. May God one day clear the clutter out of my mind so that my heart
is filled like yours, enough, that I could truly say this to you some day."

Imagine saying different things with your eyes closed...see how you feeeeel.
What feeeeels the best in your heart...say that.:smile:

It's all about unblocking and being real and honest...this way you open the heart
to allow God's love in....but, at the same time never dwell on any lack in you...focus on what you want, rather than the lack of it.
Pray sincerely for God's Divine Love to enter your being.

Remember what Jesus said...(which happens to be true)...Seek the Kingdom of Heaven first and all else will come....what to say will come, see?
It is a fact...a law...give him your burdens, it is a law that all will fall into place.
(It can be no other way.)
:wink:

FairyCrystal 22-09-2017 08:49 AM

I know someone like that online. Not sure if she's a churchie, but she keeps sending messages to tell me she loves me. (not romantically mind you)
I find it awkward and weird too. I would never say "I love you" to strangers, instead think of something else, or go to another church where ppl don't make you feel awkward. Why try to fit into a crowd that isn't yours? Find your own flock.
If you want to keep going there you could say, "Thank you, bless you."
Remember, it's their choice to say "I love you". If they truly do they wouldn't want you to feel forced to say those words to them. If they really love you they wouldn't expect anything at all other than to express their own feelings and it wouldn't even matter what you say or how you feel. That's unconditional love, which is what they're likely trying to feel/experience/express.
So don't feel pressured to say the same. You have all the freedom in the world to express yourself with what you feel comfortable with. Love gives you that freedom. So if "Thank you, bless you!" feels okay to you, go with that and don't feel awkward about it anymore. Usually ppl like that will accept you as you are. Simply revel in that feeling with joy and be yourself.

Nature Grows 22-09-2017 01:22 PM

When i was way young at my first school (pre school), it was a catholic school and we said "peace be with you" we also had to sing songs in church and also do the confession stuff, i remember going up to drink the "wine" for my first time aswell, being all excited to get drunk but it was red cordial, was disappointed.

Gem 22-09-2017 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiritualNovice
I go to church and when there a lot of people say they love me and I always respond back with I love you too.

Gagsville

Quote:

I am pretty sure that I don't love these people. They are basically strangers to me accept for the fact that I know they go to my church.

What should I say say to these people when they say I love you because I think they expect for me to say it back?

Something along the lines of the above would be truthful - be tactful though.

Quote:

Should I just keep saying it to them even if I don't mean it to spare their feelings?

When they say honesty is the best policy they don't imply it'll popular.