Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Death & The Afterlife (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What happens to a total materialist when they die? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=122472)

Tomma 05-05-2018 11:21 AM

What happens to a total materialist when they die?

This is about my mom. She only believes in scientific "proof". She scoffs at people who experienced an NDE, she laughs about people who believe in a God or higher being (or whatever you want to call it). She is very judgmental. She thinks spirits do not exist. She believes when we leave this body our consciousness will be extinguished, and simply cease to exist.

She also is not interested in any kind of spiritual growth, meditation, healing, etc.

She carries a lot of anger, depression and bitterness in her, so much so that after spending just a few days with her I want to run away, I feel so exhausted and low. (Although short meetings or talks with her are generally sweet and loving.)

I read that people who carry beliefs like her will have a hard time when leaving their body because either they will not believe they are now 'dead' and refuse to move on, or they will create unpleasant or even frightening experiences for themselves.

I don't know if that is true, so wanted to ask here if anybody knows more about the subject. It pains me to think that she will suffer when passing on. I love her.

Back from the other side 05-05-2018 12:19 PM

Wow i am heavily into spirituality and so is my mum and daughter.. Sending empathy and healing your way x mum must have picked you before she came down here, if she goes thru a life changing event she may question the afterlife x good luck x

Tomma 05-05-2018 12:34 PM

Thank you Back from the other side, for your positive energy.

MARDAV70 05-05-2018 01:54 PM

I was pretty similar to your mom...accepted science as the only way to understand our world...that when you die, you're dead. Period. Well, guess what...? It IS the only way...to study our PHYSICAL world. However, consciousness...that which many of us call the spiritual ...can't be studied per the scientific method, leastwise yet. Physics may take us there some day.

So, you ask what happens to a total materialist when they die? With me, having had a NDE due to a heart attack, my true, inner being (consciousness) was freed from the ego (the physical brain...mind) and I learned/perceived the reality of existence. With some, because the ego has made such a strong imprint on consciousness, it may not be relevant at first, hence why some experience hell or some negativity. But I think for most, it will get there. Of course, none of this can be substantiated by the scientific process (at this time). That's why many who marvel at wonders of scientific research might scoff at all things spiritual. But I've found in the end, it's a homecoming...an epiphany...no matter what we "believed" or "didn't believe" in this life.

Tomma 05-05-2018 02:49 PM

Mardav that's wonderful that you had this experience and were able to accept its reality! I think some die-hard materialists, being confronted with life separate from the body, would simply not acknowledge it, then or later. But you did. :smile:

Knowing my mom I can imagine, if she went through something like that, that she would convince herself that it was just a crazy dream or something. If she would meet relatives who have already passed on she might get really confused or even scared and would refuse to engage with them.

However, if her spirit guides could first send her beloved cats to her she might open up a bit, at least reach out to them or find some comfort?

Haha, look at me, sending advice to my mom's guides! :wink:

I just hope she'll find her way "over there" and is quickly able to enjoy it.

Lerena 05-05-2018 04:20 PM

My dad is similar to your mother, except I don't exactly feel drained from being around him, not in the same way you feel drained after spending a lot of time with your mother. As an introvert, however, too much socialization can tire me out.

Of course, I'm not necessarily sure if being a materialist on Earth is the same as your level of spiritual development. Perhaps your mother's soul is more spiritual than her life on Earth would suggest. I could easily be wrong. I'm not exactly sure how much someone's life on Earth can differ from how they are as a soul. Either way, I'm sure your mother will be fine.

Rah nam 06-05-2018 02:29 AM

There are many variables in what will happen after....
How do we die, sudden or in a longer process.
In a longer process it takes about 3 days to disconnect, and plenty of time to adjust and remember.
In a more sudden death we arrive on the other side the same state as we where on this side plus the added confusion.

Dan_SF 06-05-2018 07:34 AM

I do not like to say this, but as it is asked:

It really does not matter what people think. If they are materialistic oriented, they probably will be 'recycled'.

It is not God doing this, but the Life can not be destroyed, so a change of form occurs - probably recycling.

If you would ask me, personally, i would tell you that:

"In her experience, she didn't died but was 'somehow' healed. And now she is living her life as if nothing has happened, even communicating with you, but has abandoned many of her beliefs. Not all, but many.
You will meet her when your beliefs matches. (alive ...) - just don't count on this ... if she died for you ... well the script may not, or ...
It is like switching radio or tv stations, different frequency, different program, but same actors with changed/adapted scripts. Of course you can not know what is happening in the previous channels without peeking into them, but you wouldn't want to do anyway"

But this thinking, is of course, only mine :p

Tomma 06-05-2018 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerena
Of course, I'm not necessarily sure if being a materialist on Earth is the same as your level of spiritual development. Perhaps your mother's soul is more spiritual than her life on Earth would suggest. I could easily be wrong. I'm not exactly sure how much someone's life on Earth can differ from how they are as a soul. Either way, I'm sure your mother will be fine.

Thank you Lerena.

Interesting viewpoint. But it confuses me a bit - isn't the soul always (intrinsically) spiritual? And the materialist's mind is blocking it, not letting it "shine through" so to speak?

Tomma 06-05-2018 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rah nam
There are many variables in what will happen after....
How do we die, sudden or in a longer process.
In a longer process it takes about 3 days to disconnect, and plenty of time to adjust and remember.
In a more sudden death we arrive on the other side the same state as we where on this side plus the added confusion.

Hi Rah nam, I was hoping you'd weigh in. :smile:
What you say makes sense.
I can see confusion for her ... I will do my best to help her understand and accept, once the day comes ...