Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Soulmates & Twin Flames (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   What are twin flames exactly? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5574)

Chrysaetos 01-11-2010 10:49 AM

What are twin flames exactly?

Do you believe they are two souls that have a special strong bond (continuing from a past life)? This is quite similar to the idea of soul mates, people you have bonded with strongly and you meet them again..

Do you believe twin flames were one soul that was cut in half, and now they have accepted the ''Search for my twin and unite again'' quest? Do you believe this to be the main goal of life?

Or do you believe (like me) that twin flames are just romantic feelings mixed with western spirituality? I mean, it's mostly western women who talk about twin flames.
Also, this is what wikipedia says about it:
''One story about soulmates, presented by Aristophanes in Plato's Symposium, is that humans originally consisted of four arms, four legs, and a single head made of two faces, but Zeus feared their power and split them all in half, condemning them to spend their lives searching for the other half to complete them.. ''

Old mythology mixed with romantic feelings = new mythology?
How come it's (mostly) western spiritual women who believe in twin flames..? It looks to be more a cultural then a universal idea.

I believe the human mind is extremely powerful, and if we want to believe our loved one is our twin flame, then we can strongly believe it, to the point where we accept it as an unquestionable reality.

Of course.. I could be wrong. I have no idea. But if we are eternal spiritual beings that have lived many physical lives, why would there be a special one? Isn't it all very relative?

Vote and let me know what you think.

Miss Hepburn 01-11-2010 11:20 AM

Well, I tend to believe what Sylvia Browne said - our soul mate/ best friend stayed on the other side to cheer us on and will be there
to greet us 'over there' -
they can incarnate here at the same time, but not usually.
Her advice was comical --So find someone you are compatible with
and make the best of it.
Just make it through this life already, bec it's hard.

My soul mate is my Beloved that I commune with often.
Now, that is the Divine Romance.
Human love? Been there, done that.
Cheers,
:smile: Miss Hepburn

Btw, where and what is NL, Chrys.

earthprowler 01-11-2010 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Well, I tend to believe what Sylvia Browne said - our soul mate/ best friend stayed on the other side to cheer us on and will be there
to greet us 'over there' -
they can incarnate here at the same time, but not usually.
Her advice was comical --So find someone you are compatible with
and make the best of it.
Just make it through this life already, bec it's hard.

Cheers,

Btw, where and what is NL, Chrys.

I agree with Sylvia, I agree with most of what she has to say and I like the way she says it, straight and point blank, she's harsh and a snot, I like that. There are so many posts on here about twin flames, i'm not sure what anyone is looking for but no one is going to automatically look in to someone else's eyes and "know them" as much as I have seen. Love is Love and it's hard and sometimes it doesn't work out, not because your twin flame didn't recognize you but IT DIDN'T WORK OUT. sometimes the "twin flame" you think it is could simply be another chance with someone from a past life to see if you can get it right this time. If you haven't found your "twin flame" give someone else a chance to give you love, don't block the world out for someone that might not show up. jmo :D

mystical 01-11-2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earthprowler
I agree with Sylvia, I agree with most of what she has to say and I like the way she says it, straight and point blank, she's harsh and a snot, I like that. There are so many posts on here about twin flames, i'm not sure what anyone is looking for but no one is going to automatically look in to someone else's eyes and "know them" as much as I have seen. Love is Love and it's hard and sometimes it doesn't work out, not because your twin flame didn't recognize you but IT DIDN'T WORK OUT. sometimes the "twin flame" you think it is could simply be another chance with someone from a past life to see if you can get it right this time. If you haven't found your "twin flame" give someone else a chance to give you love, don't block the world out for someone that might not show up. jmo :D

well for me this is just how it was , i never paid particular attention to eyes before and the day i looked thro my twins eyes i saw right thro to his soul , and he validated everything i told him .much to his horror , the eyes are the gateway to the soul and i looked right thro his , i have battled with this twin flameperception for tow years now , and i had neevr even heard of it , im a medium who was going thro an awakening at the time and i just knew this man was the other half of me born from the same soul , i knew we was two into one , that same i went on fb and for sum reaosn i found soul mates it wa sonly when i read sumone spost that it resonated with me , i thought could it be possible ?? i went out and bought sum angel cards tht week , funily enough the cards i chose had the card twin flame , and the crazy thing is , birds always led me to my twin , and so did the lady who introduced us , shes my swan funnily enough the twin flame showed pics of both

i have doubted this connection for two years but truth is i already KNOW he is ,everyione is entitled to their view and this is mine .so yes i do believe that thro the eyes u can know sumone because it worked for me and if it worked for me it can work for anyone

Dharma Employee 01-11-2010 12:45 PM

well, even before this experience, I once met someone at uni, who as soon as I looked into her eyes, I instantly thought, oh it's you again and she later communicated the same, to me, that I felt completely familiar to her, as soon as we met.

it was nothing like this, experience has been but yes, there was an instant recognition,

Miss Hepburn 01-11-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dharma Employee
well, even before this experience, I once met someone at uni, who as soon as I looked into her eyes, I instantly thought, oh it's you again and she later communicated the same, to me, that I felt completely familiar to her, as soon as we met.
it was nothing like this, experience has been but yes, there was an instant recognition,

I bet you'd love the movie "Made in Heaven", Timothy Hutton, Kell McGinnis - an oldie, but so good.

supernova 01-11-2010 03:12 PM

In fact all I believe about soul mates is an ideal state. This is our dream and fantasy and yet not an unreality

Kaere 01-11-2010 03:19 PM

The idea of twin flames is mentioned in mythology yes, but it's also mentioned elsewhere. In sufism, I believe a twin soul is referred to as a sister soul. I'm sure I've come across the concept elsewhere as well but I can't recall any specifics at this time.

I disagree with the idea that it's only western women who talk about twin flames - that's quite a generalization. There are western men who talk about them as well and if you don't mind me asking... how many eastern women do you come in contact with to ask what they think of the idea? Do you know for certain what Mongolian women think of it or people in remote parts of India or Indonesia?

As for what I believe, I'm not sure. I know what I don't believe - I don't believe a twinflame is a soul that has been split in two and must reunite. I don't believe that feeling obsessed with someone means they're your twin. I don't believe that just because someone doesn't feel the same about you means they're a runner. I don't believe a twinflame relationship has to cause anguish and pain (although quite often it does). Acceptance of a situation can make it much easier to bear and realization of self and that none of us are really truly separate provides peace.

In the end I guess I just believe in the love part :dontknow: and the rest of it doesn't really matter in the end.

I voted "other"

Chrysaetos 01-11-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaere
I disagree with the idea that it's only western women who talk about twin flames - that's quite a generalization. There are western men who talk about them as well and if you don't mind me asking... how many eastern women do you come in contact with to ask what they think of the idea? Do you know for certain what Mongolian women think of it or people in remote parts of India or Indonesia?

Hello Kaere,

I didn't say only western women, but mostly western women.
I haven't seen any accounts of non-western women who talk about twin flames, yet I've read about their beliefs about an afterlife, reincarnation, ethical codes and so forth.
But nothing about twin flames. If anyone has, please share..:confused3:

Quote:

In the end I guess I just believe in the love part :dontknow: and the rest of it doesn't really matter in the end.
I voted "other"
Thanks for explaining.:smile:

Anima 01-11-2010 04:20 PM

Partly recycled from another post of mine...

I used to try so hard to rationalise everything and take a "scientific" approach, but I found there are way too many coincidences for them to be accidental or imaginary. What really did it for me was that I can tell which body part of mine he is holding/caressing through distance without him telling me first. All of the things started happening to me before I even knew much about spirituality and theories out there - about soulmates and twinflames, soul merging etc. - so it is highly unlikely that my mind thought any of it into existance. And you can't explain everything by saying that only 5% of the brain is understood. This goes beyond mere body.

So for me, it is not the question if the bond exists... It is just a matter of what exactly it is and what label people want to throw at it. I try to judge things by seeing my soul's response to reading about it. Not ego projecting and wishful thinking - usually when something is "right", it resonates deeply within my body, down to my very core of being. I am not sure if twinflames are a soul cut in half or two souls intricately bound together somehow... Maybe they are the closest kind of soulmates or something else entirely. I just feel that there's some underlying truth inside the theory. I feel certain unity with my twin that I don't with anyone else.

But the label shouldn't really matter. Sometimes concentrating too much on what something is and if it fits the description someone else wrote down takes away from the experience and creates the "block", which just makes you doubt the connection more and unable to let go. I think sharing experiences and finding comfort in labels can help people, as long as they don't end up on a definition quest that makes them miss the point of the connection.

I voted for "Two souls that were cut in half and have to unite again" because that is the closest it comes to explaining the bond I feel, but I guess I also fit into the "Other".

Anima :hug:

Chrysaetos 01-11-2010 06:17 PM

Hi Anima,

But after you had your experience you searched about it, and you found out about the twin flame concept.. am I right?

Terminology is important, there are so many twin flame threads (also on the 'old' forum) and it's hard to tell what people actually mean when they use it.

I'm surprised to see most voters so far go for the soul cutting. I hope they realized that I made a mistake (two souls cut in half means four 'souls' coming into existence), and I meant 'one soul cut in half', unfortunately I can't edit the poll. :tongue:

If the soul is cut in half.. do you have any idea why it would be cut in half? I once read that it is part of a learning lesson ('to be separate'), however it didn't explain why such a spiritual surgery would be needed to begin with..

I am very open to the idea of soul mates, and I (like to) believe we meet loved ones that we knew in the past life..

muireannrose 01-11-2010 06:24 PM

I voted other simply because I don't feel that I relate to any of the options.

I don't think that twin souls are souls cut in half...I like the idea of the soul being whole and complete as I believe you have everything you will ever need to feel complete.

I guess I just refer to it as a connection of the soul, whatever form that may take. :)

LadyImpreza1111 02-11-2010 08:55 PM

At the dawn of creation, we started out as one ray of energy. However that ray was split into both feminine and masculine aspects. These aspects are twin souls (AKA twin rays or twin flames.) Each aspect incarnated over and over again over the span of multiple lifetimes to gain human experience. Often times when they meet, it is often traumatic and/or short-lived but they say that they reunite on their last lifetime on this earth, so that they can ascend when that lifetime is over. This isn't like conventional relationships where you get together and play house and everything is all wine and roses. They are brought together for the good of humanity and they have a purpose-whether it is together or apart.

Do you believe they are two souls that have a special strong bond (continuing from a past life)? This is quite similar to the idea of soul mates, people you have bonded with strongly and you meet them again..

Yup. It is an extremely intense connection--more intense than that of soulmates but like soulmates, you have some past-life history.

Do you believe twin flames were one soul that was cut in half, and now they have accepted the ''Search for my twin and unite again'' quest? Do you believe this to be the main goal of life?

Yes. I believe they are one soul cut in half. That is why you hear people say "They are the guy/girl version of me, there are tons of similarities and their lives have many parallels. However, I believe your task in this lifetime (if you are meant to unite with your twin) is to become whole within yourself, healed and focus on your own growth both PRIOR and upon meeting twin. If you seek out your twin expecting them to complete you, that goes against the purpose of the bond, its the ego and the ego will derail the relationship before it can ever get off the ground. No one searches for their twin. If the twin is meant to come into your life, they will when they are destined to and not a moment before.

Or do you believe (like me) that twin flames are just romantic feelings mixed with western spirituality? I mean, it's mostly western women who talk about twin flames.
Not even. The love you feel for your twin was predestined and only upon connected with them is it brought to the surface. The person is not someone you "choose." Rather, the connection chooses YOU--that is, if you are spiritually evolved enough. Those who have found their twin flame have one thing in common--they are all "old souls." And that means that they are more spiritually evolved thus they have the capacity for unconditional love and that is necessary in a twin flame relationship. Its not just "western women" that talk about this. There are men on this forum too.

Old mythology mixed with romantic feelings = new mythology?
How come it's (mostly) western spiritual women who believe in twin flames..? It looks to be more a cultural then a universal idea.

I think this is more a matter of opinion. Its not a cultural thing because twin soul love disregards racial/cultural barriers.

I believe the human mind is extremely powerful, and if we want to believe our loved one is our twin flame, then we can strongly believe it, to the point where we accept it as an unquestionable reality.

Also a matter of opinion. Once you've met a soulmate and then a twin flame, there is a HUGE difference and if someone wanted to believe just anyone was a twin flame, then those who find themselves in the midst of a soul connection with one would be able to move on and get over theirs. Its not that easy. Its permanent and even if you go a lifetime without ever seeing yours again after getting in touch with them, most can't get over theirs. And unless you have met your twin flame, you can't even FATHOM the depths of the emotions that arise upon meeting them. Anytime you have ever thought you might have "loved" someone prior to meeting yours doesn't even scratch the surface for what you feel for a twin soul. It is POWERFUL.

Of course.. I could be wrong. I have no idea. But if we are eternal spiritual beings that have lived many physical lives, why would there be a special one? Isn't it all very relative?

We might have many people we might be compatible with but we only have ONE that is our divine complement. Sometimes they incarnate the same time we do, sometimes they are "guardian angels" on the "other side."

Chrysaetos 02-11-2010 09:11 PM

Thank you LadyImprezza for your thoughts.

Lady wrote: ''At the dawn of creation, we started out as one ray of energy. However that ray was split into both feminine and masculine aspects. These aspects are twin souls (AKA twin rays or twin flames.) Each aspect incarnated over and over again over the span of multiple lifetimes to gain human experience. Often times when they meet, it is often traumatic and/or short-lived but they say that they reunite on their last lifetime on this earth, so that they can ascend when that lifetime is over. This isn't like conventional relationships where you get together and play house and everything is all wine and roses. They are brought together for the good of humanity and they have a purpose-whether it is together or apart.''

The dawn of creation? What was there before?
Two aspects that are 'one', yet have traumatic experiences. That sounds cruel to me, just like the idea of the split. Why was this ''ray of energy'' split in two aspects? (what's your source for this information?)

Lady wrote: ''Yes. I believe they are one soul cut in half. That is why you hear people say "They are the guy/girl version of me, there are tons of similarities and their lives have many parallels.''

''That is why..'' Perhaps there could be another explanation. There will always be people around that look like us physically, emotionally and mentally. Since the twin flame concept is not widely accepted and only few believe in it, these experiences of meeting that 'special one' could be coincidental.

Lady wrote: ''Those who have found their twin flame have one thing in common--they are all "old souls."''

What's an ''old soul''?

Lady wrote: ''I think this is more a matter of opinion. Its not a cultural thing because twin soul love disregards racial/cultural barriers.''

Sounds like a western and social Christian idea, where all humans are one and race is unimportant. It does relate to culture. And still it's mostly western women who believe in it. Why isn't there evidence of rainforest shaman, Inuit, or Taoists believing in it? We can find out about their beliefs, but so far I haven't found anything about twin flames.

Cheers.

LadyImpreza1111 02-11-2010 11:50 PM

Two aspects that are 'one', yet have traumatic experiences. That sounds cruel to me, just like the idea of the split. Why was this ''ray of energy'' split in two aspects? (what's your source for this information?)

I've read this in multiple articles. I guess there are people out there who always want to prove/disprove anything related to metaphysics or even religion if it isn't something they believe in. All I know is that what I've experienced is real. Definitely not something I've manufactured myself. My imagination was never this good.:D
And when I say "traumatic" what I am referring to is that those who have found their twin go through a roller coaster of emotions. We don't just feel our emotions. We feel theirs too. And when our emotions go to them and then come back to us, they are magnified. Be it good or bad. Thats probably where the term "twin flame/soul came from. Because just like identical twins come from one egg split in two, twin souls come from one soul split in two and the bond is just like that of identical twins-Telepathic and empathic.

''That is why..'' Perhaps there could be another explanation. There will always be people around that look like us physically, emotionally and mentally. Since the twin flame concept is not widely accepted and only few believe in it, these experiences of meeting that 'special one' could be coincidental.

Few believe in it because few experience it. I don't remember where the heck it was I read it, but I read somewhere that mayb 2% of the global population has experienced this. That could explain why few "believe" in it.

What's an ''old soul''?

An old soul is one soul that has incarnated multiple times and has learned the many lessons they are meant to learn. Think of each lifetime as a grade in school. Younger souls start out in kindergarten and each lifetime gives you so many karmic lessons you have to learn. If your lifetime ends and you didn't learn what you were meant to learn, that lesson carries over into the next lifetime and in that case, its like you "repeat" the grade. Older souls are those who are nearing "graduation." And they are closer to leaving this earth, without needing to return again. You can tell the difference between an older soul and a younger one. Younger ones are more focused on money or status. Alot of the way they live is ego-driven. Older souls are more focused on careers or jobs that might not be as financially lucrative, but they help other people.Older souls are more compassionate, and many have psychic gifts(I have abilities too though I'd say the visions I get are very sporadic.) and in my opinion, they probably just look at the world and life in general differently.

Sounds like a western and social Christian idea, where all humans are one and race is unimportant. It does relate to culture. And still it's mostly western women who believe in it. Why isn't there evidence of rainforest shaman, Inuit, or Taoists believing in it? We can find out about their beliefs, but so far I haven't found anything about twin flames.

I don't know what you mean by "western." Are you referring to the U.S.? Because I've talked to people both on this forum AND other websites from different countries worldwide who have experienced this phenomenon.
If you look at religious figures like H.H. the Dalai Lama, and maybe even historical figures like Mother Theresa.........some of those are called Botsivattas (and I'm sure I spelled that wrong because I almost always do.) They are the rare souls that have reached high levels of enlightenment and THOSE people incarnate with both souls within. And in that case, they don't experience earthly desires therefore they don't feel the need to seek love.

I USED to be Christian but I actually walked away from religion this year because it doesn't match my beliefs about what happens when this life is over.My twin is Catholic. With the twin flame belief, there is alot of focus on reincarnation and in Christianity, they teach people that when you die, you go to heaven or hell. Not reincarnate. So I'm pretty sure Christianity would go against the grain of the whole Twin soul phenomenon.
I happen to live in Alaska but I don't make a point of asking Inuits what their beliefs are because everyone is different and I hardly talk about it to even people I see on a daily basis because the bottom line is, if they haven't experienced it, they don't understand. So there is no way I'm going to seek out people I don't even know just to see what they believe. Just because you don't always find shamans, Inuits, etc. that believe in it, that doesn't mean they don't. It just means you probably haven't spoken to enough to get enough opinions.

7luminaries 03-11-2010 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysaetos
Thank you LadyImprezza for your thoughts.

Lady wrote: ''At the dawn of creation, we started out as one ray of energy. However that ray was split into both feminine and masculine aspects. These aspects are twin souls (AKA twin rays or twin flames.) Each aspect incarnated over and over again over the span of multiple lifetimes to gain human experience. Often times when they meet, it is often traumatic and/or short-lived but they say that they reunite on their last lifetime on this earth, so that they can ascend when that lifetime is over. This isn't like conventional relationships where you get together and play house and everything is all wine and roses. They are brought together for the good of humanity and they have a purpose-whether it is together or apart.''

Lady wrote: ''Yes. I believe they are one soul cut in half. That is why you hear people say "They are the guy/girl version of me, there are tons of similarities and their lives have many parallels.''

Lady wrote: ''Those who have found their twin flame have one thing in common--they are all "old souls."''

What's an ''old soul''?

Lady wrote: ''I think this is more a matter of opinion. Its not a cultural thing because twin soul love disregards racial/cultural barriers.''

Cheers.

Chrys, lighten up a bit mate, LOL...I will say as Kaere alluded to, there are multiple references to the concept of a greater soul, comprised of masculine and feminine, being split into two complete souls which are nonetheless bonded throughout the ages. The Vedic texts reference the concept extensively, as do mystical Islamic (Sufi) and Jewish texts (i.e., the Zohar). This same concept underlies Taoism, a philosophy or worldview considered foundational in the East. You can also find it in Hermetic texts from ancient Near East and Egypt, from which we see the later Greek variant which was mentioned earlier.

Now...having said that, I never gave it any thought aside from a passing awareness at the philosophical level, more in the sense of balance, as in the logical extension we see in much of Taoist philosophy. I in no way had a full understanding of the concept, and I didn't know what it was commonly "named". And I had no idea that there were many who'd experienced what I had. Nor did I go seeking it out for quite some time.

People generally just want to live in denial for a while, then they want to understand, and when they can't understand (LOL), then they just want to know they're not mad. :tongue: At least that describes me pretty well...

Anyway Lady's post was generally spot on. Including the metaphysical description, though mystical texts describe an "adam kadmon" of both male and female, later split into two complete souls which are bonded to one other.

We all just need to keep an open mind abt things we haven't experienced for ourselves.

Cheers!
7L

Rah nam 03-11-2010 02:07 AM

From what I know, and learned, souls can have multiple extensions, and the amount will vary depending on the soul.
Can those extensions meet?
They can. My mother and a great cousin of mine (the daughter of my cousin) are part of the same soul. They have meet once or twice, not sure if there was a particular recognition. But then, there are many ways to set up a life time, depending what the intended outcome might be.
The soul, having a romantic relationship with itself? Not sure what could be accomplished by it.
It would be much easier to unit energetically outside of this reality, and with greater rewards.
Only if we over emphasize the physical, can we come to the conclusion, a physical union of two aspects of the same soul could be of any importance.

Chrysaetos 03-11-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyImpreza1111

I've read this in multiple articles. I guess there are people out there who always want to prove/disprove anything related to metaphysics or even religion if it isn't something they believe in. All I know is that what I've experienced is real. Definitely not something I've manufactured myself. My imagination was never this good.:D
And when I say "traumatic" what I am referring to is that those who have found their twin go through a roller coaster of emotions. We don't just feel our emotions. We feel theirs too. And when our emotions go to them and then come back to us, they are magnified. Be it good or bad. Thats probably where the term "twin flame/soul came from. Because just like identical twins come from one egg split in two, twin souls come from one soul split in two and the bond is just like that of identical twins-Telepathic and empathic.

Hi,

I'm not here about proving or disproving stuff. I want to know why people believe in the twin flame concept, and I want to look at it from different angles. It would be boring if we would just accept every belief out there. You state it like twin flames are a fact (last sentence above), should it go unchallenged?
Quote:

Few believe in it because few experience it. I don't remember where the heck it was I read it, but I read somewhere that mayb 2% of the global population has experienced this. That could explain why few "believe" in it.
Possibly.
Quote:

An old soul is one soul that has incarnated multiple times and has learned the many lessons they are meant to learn. Think of each lifetime as a grade in school. Younger souls start out in kindergarten and each lifetime gives you so many karmic lessons you have to learn. If your lifetime ends and you didn't learn what you were meant to learn, that lesson carries over into the next lifetime and in that case, its like you "repeat" the grade. Older souls are those who are nearing "graduation." And they are closer to leaving this earth, without needing to return again.
But why is a soul meant to learn lessons? Again, you state all of the above as if it's a fact. Learning lessons, incarnating, graduating. It's very linear and I read it everywhere. However, never is there any explanation for this 'progress'. It's just belief.
Quote:

You can tell the difference between an older soul and a younger one. Younger ones are more focused on money or status. Alot of the way they live is ego-driven. Older souls are more focused on careers or jobs that might not be as financially lucrative, but they help other people.Older souls are more compassionate, and many have psychic gifts(I have abilities too though I'd say the visions I get are very sporadic.) and in my opinion, they probably just look at the world and life in general differently.
Sounds all nice and well (bit politically leftist though), but what you're basically saying here is that old souls are all goodness and pureness, and younger souls are egoistic. What makes a soul 'young' or 'old'? Don't you think a linear view on ''soul's progress'' is shaped by matter and time?
Quote:

I don't know what you mean by "western." Are you referring to the U.S.? Because I've talked to people both on this forum AND other websites from different countries worldwide who have experienced this phenomenon.
The west is the economically developed world. In the west, the most popular forms of spirituality are Christianity and New Age beliefs (mostly a mix of theosophy and Hinduism). I have not seen a rainforest shaman, Inuit or Jain talk about twin flames. I can find out about many of their beliefs, but nothing about twin flames.
Quote:

If you look at religious figures like H.H. the Dalai Lama, and maybe even historical figures like Mother Theresa.........some of those are called Botsivattas (and I'm sure I spelled that wrong because I almost always do.) They are the rare souls that have reached high levels of enlightenment and THOSE people incarnate with both souls within. And in that case, they don't experience earthly desires therefore they don't feel the need to seek love.

In Theravada Buddhism, Bodhisattva is the enlightened Buddha. In Mahayana Buddhism, Bodhisattva is one who aims for enlightenment. There is enlightenment or not, not ''high levels of enlightenment'', and I have found no information about these bodhisattva's having ''both souls''. In fact, Buddhism denies the existence of the soul. Of course they experience earthly desires (look at Siddharta Gautama himself), but they want to give it up because it only brings temporary pleasure and happiness.
Quote:

I USED to be Christian but I actually walked away from religion this year because it doesn't match my beliefs about what happens when this life is over.My twin is Catholic. With the twin flame belief, there is alot of focus on reincarnation and in Christianity, they teach people that when you die, you go to heaven or hell. Not reincarnate. So I'm pretty sure Christianity would go against the grain of the whole Twin soul phenomenon.

I used to be a Christian as well, but that doesn't mean that I gave up all Christian beliefs and concepts. You can't just drop every belief cold turkey. What I meant was that many Christians believe in one human race under one God. You said twin flames go beyond racial differences, this is a modern idea (which I support) but was not usual in the ancient world. I'm not saying Christianity preaches the twin flame phenomenon, but it can be compatible with Christian way of thinking.
Quote:

I happen to live in Alaska but I don't make a point of asking Inuits what their beliefs are because everyone is different and I hardly talk about it to even people I see on a daily basis because the bottom line is, if they haven't experienced it, they don't understand. So there is no way I'm going to seek out people I don't even know just to see what they believe. Just because you don't always find shamans, Inuits, etc. that believe in it, that doesn't mean they don't. It just means you probably haven't spoken to enough to get enough opinions.

Point taken. The fact remains that I can find out about many beliefs of communities and cultures all around the world, but so far I have found the twin flame concept (just as Indigos, Crystals etc.) are very popular among western women, and beyond that there's little to be heard about it.
I am not saying you are wrong, or I am right. I'm sceptical and I want to find out why people believe stuff.

Chrysaetos 03-11-2010 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7luminaries
Chrys, lighten up a bit mate, LOL...I will say as Kaere alluded to, there are multiple references to the concept of a greater soul, comprised of masculine and feminine, being split into two complete souls which are nonetheless bonded throughout the ages. The Vedic texts reference the concept extensively, as do mystical Islamic (Sufi) and Jewish texts (i.e., the Zohar). This same concept underlies Taoism, a philosophy or worldview considered foundational in the East. You can also find it in Hermetic texts from ancient Near East and Egypt, from which we see the later Greek variant which was mentioned earlier.

''The Vedic texts reference the concept extensively''

Please point me out which of the Vedas speak about twin flames being ''split into two complete souls.'' Where can I find this?
I'd like to see ancient sources that speak about the twin flame concept. New interpretations and additions of 20th century spiritualists won't do, as they are influenced by their own time and cultural beliefs. The Zohar speaks about different parts of the human soul, but not about twin flames, or a split. Besides that, the 'parts' of the human soul as described in the Kabbalah and Zohar relate also to earthly qualities like instincts and morals. Quite different from the idea of an independent, non-physical soul most of us believe in.
Quote:

Anyway Lady's post was generally spot on. Including the metaphysical description, though mystical texts describe an "adam kadmon" of both male and female, later split into two complete souls which are bonded to one other.
Which ''mystical texts''?
Quote:

We all just need to keep an open mind abt things we haven't experienced for ourselves.
Which is why we discuss it.

Cheers.

Falling Star 03-11-2010 10:33 AM

To my way of thinking....And experience, Twinflames have not been allowed to recognise each other in any previous incarnation prior to this one. So it is all very confusing. The only way to understand it is through acceptance, this will eventually bring understanding. It is an experience of the soul, an awakening of the soul if you like. It cannot be understood by logic.....only by the heart.

mystical 03-11-2010 10:59 AM

i wish i had all the answers for this but i dont i am still learning all this myself but i agree with falling star xx

Falling Star 03-11-2010 11:06 AM

It is not something that can be explained so much as experienced isn't it Mystical.

Chrysaetos 03-11-2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falling Star
It is not something that can be explained so much as experienced isn't it Mystical.

But how we translate experiences is a whole different thing. One might experience love, oneness and unity with another human being, but that doesn't prove that they are ''one soul'' or that there was a split and so forth. This is where belief and culture comes in to make sense of an experience we don't understand.

Falling Star 03-11-2010 11:16 AM

I don't know Chrysaetos. I know what you mean of course. But i personally believe that there has been a huge shift in conciousness and mass awakenings allowing the knowledge in so to speak.

It doesn't matter what you read......that is anothers definition of truth. What i am saying is that it has to be experienced to be understood. It transcends love in an ordinary sense. The two souls entwine......I actually felt and experienced this. I feel my twin within.....and he feels me. Almost like we merged with each other to become one.
The twinflames are the magic of the soul personified......The highest vibration of love.

7luminaries 03-11-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

''The Vedic texts reference the concept extensively''

Please point me out which of the Vedas speak about twin flames being ''split into two complete souls.'' Where can I find this?
I'd like to see ancient sources that speak about the twin flame concept. New interpretations and additions of 20th century spiritualists won't do, as they are influenced by their own time and cultural beliefs. The Zohar speaks about different parts of the human soul, but not about twin flames, or a split. Besides that, the 'parts' of the human soul as described in the Kabbalah and Zohar relate also to earthly qualities like instincts and morals. Quite different from the idea of an independent, non-physical soul most of us believe in.
Which ''mystical texts''?
Which is why we discuss it.

Cheers.

The Zohar does speak of it. I don't think you'll find the label "twin flames" anywhere, LOL...but you find the concept explained quite well. Adam Kadmon was originally male and female, back to back, and Eve was taken from the [back] of Adam. Commonly translated as "rib". At this point, the two souls were housed in their respective physical shells, so that Adam wouldn't be alone.

I think you can read many texts by Rumi, Hafiz, and other Sufi masters and find a parallel...I have, although these are typically collected writing and are "lumped" together under "Rumi's collected writings", LOL...and similar. It is a simple fact that the more esoteric Sufi works are harder to find in translation and are more closely guarded...this is in part a reflection of the climate in which they find themselves, as they are already considered "fringe" in Islam.

Similar to the Zohar (strikingly, LOL...), many of the Sufis' more esoteric works describe what we call twin souls as sister souls, which was simply their term of choice to evade the harshest critique of their often erotic description of the love between God and man (sic), which is also mirrored "below" in the human love of two souls connected by God at the origin. The purpose is to fully realise the divine in each of us through our love for the other...and then extend that outward in the form of universal compassion.

The Vedic texts...there are so many. This is the earliest wide-scale dissemination of the hermetic teachings of antiquity...the same themes we see in the hermeticism of ancient Egypt and the Near East. They are not all in the Bhagavad Gita or the Upanishads. Techically much of the esoteric teachings on twin souls is contained in the Tantrika Parampara, or the 92 sacred tantric texts. There are said to be parallel teachings in the Buddhist Vajrayana tantric tradition, but they are closely guarded so as not to be misused or misinterpreted.

Just very quickly, the traditions of Hinduism brought forth teachings that echo the Hermetic philosophy and the key mystical concepts of OM TAT SAT OM or I AM THAT I AM, and the Hindu Trinity - of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva and their counterparts the Mother Goddesses. Hinduism teaches that Avatars incarnate the Essence of this trinity and bring teachings for each culture, place and time. Hinduism also taught the sacredness of the Divine Masculine and Divine Feminine polarities of the Godhead, which are reflected in the divine union "below" of male and female twin souls.

Typically esoteric teachings are revealed by a teacher or a guru when the student is ready, and additionally many call for a different level or type of translation or reading of standard texts, in order to reveal the esoteric truths. You will typically only get a "taste" or high-level summary of these teachings translated into English. However, if you see that there is a call to grow and to serve in the love and union of twin souls that is stressed in all of these various traditions, you are correct.

Peace,
7L

LightFilledHeart 03-11-2010 04:43 PM

I think if you ask a hundred different people this same question (what are Twin Flames or Twin Souls) you will get a hundred different answers. Really no one knows for sure and no one has the market cornered on absolute truth... we can only offer our opinions, based on knowledge we've absorbed from others (books, channelers, our own teaching guides and even our own inner knowing :smile:). In my understanding, at the time souls were first cast from Divine Oneness (i.e., individualized aspects of Divine Oneness separating from the Whole in order that God might know itself in miriad forms and expressions), SOME souls chose to further divide in two, in order to go forth in a more expansive way and experience more of what there is to experience, and thus more quickly find their way back to conscious recognition of their oneness with All. Not all souls chose this path. More did not than did. Therefore the percentage of Twin Souls/Flames is rather small. Those who DID choose this and DO have a Twin out there seldom choose to incarnate in the same time/space.. after all, the purpose of dividing in the FIRST place was to increase the speed and expansiveness of experience, growth and learning! Usually they will be separate, but if one is in the earth and the other is not, the one remaining in spirit will often act as guide to the one embodied. On those rare occasions when the longing for union with the other portion of ones unified soul becomes too great to ignore, they will sometimes arrange to come into incarnation in the same time and space in order to facilitate meeting and joining as a couple. These relationships can be the most exquisite of pair bonds (I speak from experience) and also the most challenging, for who can challenge you and push you to the limits more than an aspect of yourself...! It is a relationship like no other, and when/if you experience it, there will be no denying who you are to one another.

(IMO :wink: )

Chrysaetos 03-11-2010 05:18 PM

Quote:

The Zohar does speak of it. I don't think you'll find the label "twin flames" anywhere, LOL...but you find the concept explained quite well. Adam Kadmon was originally male and female, back to back, and Eve was taken from the [back] of Adam. Commonly translated as "rib". At this point, the two souls were housed in their respective physical shells, so that Adam wouldn't be alone.

The Zohar speaks about the different layers of the soul. I haven't found anything about twin flames, or a soul that was split. Please show passages where I can find this. Adam Kadmon is about the 'father soul' of all human souls. What we see here is a cultural belief and a creation myth of a specific time and place, where only humans are beings with a soul. And there's also the idea of a original soul. Nothing whatsoever about the split of a soul that becomes feminine and masculine.

In the ancient world, it was also very common to see rationality as a quality of the soul. But in our time, we believe rationality is a quality of the mind. That's just to show you how the time we live in shapes our beliefs.

Quote:

I think you can read many texts by Rumi, Hafiz, and other Sufi masters and find a parallel...I have, although these are typically collected writing and are "lumped" together under "Rumi's collected writings", LOL...and similar. It is a simple fact that the more esoteric Sufi works are harder to find in translation and are more closely guarded...this is in part a reflection of the climate in which they find themselves, as they are already considered "fringe" in Islam.
''More closely guarded''? What's that supposed to mean? Have you read it or not?

Quote:

The Vedic texts...there are so many. This is the earliest wide-scale dissemination of the hermetic teachings of antiquity...the same themes we see in the hermeticism of ancient Egypt and the Near East. They are not all in the Bhagavad Gita or the Upanishads. Techically much of the esoteric teachings on twin souls is contained in the Tantrika Parampara, or the 92 sacred tantric texts. There are said to be parallel teachings in the Buddhist Vajrayana tantric tradition, but they are closely guarded so as not to be misused or misinterpreted.
Yeah there are many Vedic texts. You said they speak about a soul split, could you tell me the specific text where I can read about this?
I really like to see these specific texts (links, passages etc.) as eastern teachings usually speak about the existence of an individual soul (no split) or no soul.

Quote:

Hinduism teaches that Avatars incarnate the Essence of this trinity and bring teachings for each culture, place and time. Hinduism also taught the sacredness of the Divine Masculine and Divine Feminine polarities of the Godhead, which are reflected in the divine union "below" of male and female twin souls.
Hinduism's teachings, mythology and so forth is all about the Indian subcontinent. It speaks about Indian people, places, animals, rivers and plants. Muslims also say God brought prophets to all the people around the world, but that's not in line with their religious beliefs at all.
Texts may speak about 'divine' masculine and feminine polarities, but that's a whole different story then the split of a soul, don't you think?

Cheers.

7luminaries 03-11-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

The Zohar speaks about the different layers of the soul. I haven't found anything about twin flames, or a soul that was split. Please show passages where I can find this. Adam Kadmon is about the 'father soul' of all human souls. What we see here is a cultural belief and a creation myth of a specific time and place, where only humans are beings with a soul. And there's also the idea of a original soul. Nothing whatsoever about the split of a soul that becomes feminine and masculine.

In the ancient world, it was also very common to see rationality as a quality of the soul. But in our time, we believe rationality is a quality of the mind. That's just to show you how the time we live in shapes our beliefs.

''More closely guarded''? What's that supposed to mean? Have you read it or not?

Yeah there are many Vedic texts. You said they speak about a soul split, could you tell me the specific text where I can read about this?
I really like to see these specific texts (links, passages etc.) as eastern teachings usually speak about the existence of an individual soul (no split) or no soul.

Hinduism's teachings, mythology and so forth is all about the Indian subcontinent. It speaks about Indian people, places, animals, rivers and plants. Muslims also say God brought prophets to all the people around the world, but that's not in line with their religious beliefs at all.
Texts may speak about 'divine' masculine and feminine polarities, but that's a whole different story then the split of a soul, don't you think?

Cheers.

Yes, it is in the Zohar. I loaned my copy...look at D Matt's Vol 1 of Zohar on Berei****[Genesis]...this series is in English. If you wait a bit, I'll get my copy back and look it up for you. Apparently Berei**** is censored on the forum, LOL!

Yes, I have read Sufi texts in collected works of Rumi & Hafiz (and surely there are others) that speak of sister souls created together as one, as masculine and feminine souls. It's the concept of two in one. You keep focusing on term "split". Even the Zohar, which describes an emanation or creation of two souls from one, may not technically use the term "split". And you know what? It's not important to the overall concept, which remains the same whether you say 2 souls (complete) are created from one, or whether you use some other term.

There are many Tantric texts from Vedic & Buddhist traditions. It is very difficult to obtain Vajrayana tantric text in translation...I have only heard oral teachings.

For the Vedic texts, below is a link to get you started. I've read summaries and translations, so whilst you can find these just as easily, the best info is from a guru, or a master. That's how this knowledge is best transmitted in these traditions. And that's how I've received this knowledge as well.

The rituals described appear overtly sexual when lifted off the page outside the appropriate context, and as such they are often misused or misunderstood. However, a key here is that these rituals can be applied by the solo practioner or by partners, but they describe a union or partnership of the divine energies, where the ideal is the union of soul mates formed at the time of creation, which simultaneously both is and is mirroring the union occuring within one's own soul.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysticism - look for the Vedic & Tantric references.

Quote:

No that's just it...there is no contradiction, only different perspectives. Look at it from the other side, the reunification of both elements of one's soul. This reunification takes place internally on several levels but is catalysed so to speak by your connexions within and without of what we typically call our individual soul.

I will also say that all of this was of passing interest to me and it was all purely an intellectual exercise until I myself had certain experiences and a different perpective on this...my own perspective :). I had no teacher or guru until...well, until I came to this point, LOL...nor did I feel any impetus to go this route solo, although there are many who do. The only things I have had is my own experience and a desire to know self and divine. And the amazing love I feel for a certain someone. It's very difficult to speak of something so personal, so pls. forgive the dry analytic response.

So don't be lazy Chrys, you can look them up or check them out & read them yourself...but also understand that there is a time to everything, and everything to its time. Frankly if this is not your path then it may take years or lifetimes to comprehend this in the way that we have as a result of direct experience.

LOL...and most importantly I would say, don't get hung up on whether the text says paired, created, or split...LOL...don't let semantics, and yes, this qualifies...get in the way of your own search for truth. That's the main thing :)

Peace,
7L

LadyImpreza1111 03-11-2010 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falling Star

I agree 100%
People can search fanatically for written documentation but even then, it won't have any relevance unless they experience it themselves.

7luminaries 03-11-2010 06:19 PM

Quote:

I agree 100%
People can search fanatically for written documentation but even then, it won't have any relevance unless they experience it themselves.

Yes...agreed...all I can do is point to something that cannot be adequately described...only experienced.

Thanks ladies :)
7L

7luminaries 03-11-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightFilledHeart
I think if you ask a hundred different people this same question (what are Twin Flames or Twin Souls) you will get a hundred different answers. Really no one knows for sure and no one has the market cornered on absolute truth... we can only offer our opinions, based on knowledge we've absorbed from others (books, channelers, our own teaching guides and even our own inner knowing :smile:). In my understanding, at the time souls were first cast from Divine Oneness (i.e., individualized aspects of Divine Oneness separating from the Whole in order that God might know itself in miriad forms and expressions), SOME souls chose to further divide in two, in order to go forth in a more expansive way and experience more of what there is to experience, and thus more quickly find their way back to conscious recognition of their oneness with All. Not all souls chose this path. More did not than did. Therefore the percentage of Twin Souls/Flames is rather small. Those who DID choose this and DO have a Twin out there seldom choose to incarnate in the same time/space.. after all, the purpose of dividing in the FIRST place was to increase the speed and expansiveness of experience, growth and learning! Usually they will be separate, but if one is in the earth and the other is not, the one remaining in spirit will often act as guide to the one embodied. On those rare occasions when the longing for union with the other portion of ones unified soul becomes too great to ignore, they will sometimes arrange to come into incarnation in the same time and space in order to facilitate meeting and joining as a couple. These relationships can be the most exquisite of pair bonds (I speak from experience) and also the most challenging, for who can challenge you and push you to the limits more than an aspect of yourself...! It is a relationship like no other, and when/if you experience it, there will be no denying who you are to one another.

(IMO :wink: )

Beautiful post...:smile:
I've half a mind to chuck the prior posts where I'm trying to point to texts describing a mystical experience...because really it's just all about the love...I could give a flying flip about the intellectual aspects and such...LOL...

I just love him, heart and soul. That's it :hug3:
7L

LadyImpreza1111 03-11-2010 07:43 PM

Yeah. I think I've read about ARISTOTLE describing the whole experience but at the end of the day, it IS all about the love. Reading all the articles, all the books both written by authors alive today and historical figures won't mean a lick of anything if they haven't experienced it themselves--both the author and the person trying to seek "proof" that this phenomenon is real.

7luminaries 03-11-2010 07:53 PM

LOL! Me too..and somehow I made it back to the realm of sanity...at least for the time being...

mystical 03-11-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

LOL! Me too..and somehow I made it back to the realm of sanity...at least for the time being...

u nicked them words from my heart didnt u 7l lol :)

Chrysaetos 03-11-2010 09:45 PM

Quote:

I agree 100%

Written stuff doesn't convince me, as all writers are influenced by the culture, climate, and environment they live in. For me, it's not about believing it or not. There's an interest for old sources as they might give us clues how certain beliefs have originated, and have evolved. And they clearly do. The ideas we have these days about souls and spirituality is very different from what the ancient world believed.

What the New Age is doing is making all sorts of links and connections between stuff that isn't really connected at all. They usually do not look at the context in which ancient sources were written down.

I am interested why other people believe in it, and I also have an interest in looking at religious/spiritual belief from different angles. Just because people believe their experiences are genuine, is not actual proof.

Cheers.

LadyImpreza1111 03-11-2010 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxinggregger0
lol....a fellow (female) traveller ....ah ,i was so unreal it took me quite a while to start getting real :icon_eek: .............but i know ive got the ''real '' deal .......not just yet though , divine timing and all that stuff from above :smile: with faith and love.

Yeah, buddy!

LadyImpreza1111 03-11-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

I am interested why other people believe in it, and I also have an interest in looking at religious/spiritual belief from different angles. Just because people believe their experiences are genuine, is not actual proof.

Cheers.

Not actual proof? Just because you aren't living through this experience doesn't make it any less real for those that are.

mystical 03-11-2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

But how we translate experiences is a whole different thing. One might experience love, oneness and unity with another human being, but that doesn't prove that they are ''one soul'' or that there was a split and so forth. This is where belief and culture comes in to make sense of an experience we don't understand.

well all i know is what i feel i dont need to speak fancy words or understand them to know how i FEEL , the one thing god granted us was a heart , he also granted us gut instinct (trust) , and thats what im doing im trusting in me and so should others , peoples beliefs and opinions shouldnt make people doubt themselves ,there will always be sumone out there who disagrees with us , not just on this connection but on everyhting in life , doesnt mean they are wrong and we are right all we know is what WE BELIEVE thats all that matters isnt it?????? its all this doubting that creates all the confusion we have to face , everyone should listen to themselves rather than others we are all on our own pathway and are all her to learn about our true selves whatever that may be

Chrysaetos 03-11-2010 10:21 PM

Quote:

Not actual proof? Just because you aren't living through this experience doesn't make it any less real for those that are.

I'm not saying it's not real to those who experience it. I'm saying other people's experiences, even one's own experiences, aren't always trustworthy.

Chrysaetos 03-11-2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mystical
well all i know is what i feel i dont need to speak fancy words or understand them to know how i FEEL , the one thing god granted us was a heart , he also granted us gut instinct (trust) , and thats what im doing im trusting in me and so should others , peoples beliefs and opinions shouldnt make people doubt themselves ,there will always be sumone out there who disagrees with us , not just on this connection but on everyhting in life , doesnt mean they are wrong and we are right all we know is what WE BELIEVE thats all that matters isnt it?????? its all this doubting that creates all the confusion we have to face , everyone should listen to themselves rather than others we are all on our own pathway and are all her to learn about our true selves whatever that may be

So every feeling and gut feeling we have is telling us the facts? I'll tell you one simple example. I was listening peacefully to music yesterday, and at one moment I heard some strange sound which appeared to be voices. My 'gut' was that there was someone in my room, perhaps some sort of being I couldn't see.. But I re winded my mp3 player a few times, and found out that this odd sound was part of the song. It was interesting to experience, because again it showed me how the mind translates experiences. This is of course just a very simple example, but hey.

And about beliefs and opinions, we are not our beliefs and opinions. So we shouldn't doubt ourself, but doubt our beliefs and opinions!

Cheers.