Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Buddhism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   What brought you to Buddhism? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19304)

002 Cents 19-07-2011 06:07 PM

What brought you to Buddhism?

Faith being a deeply personal subject for most; each of us arriving at our own belief system in a different manner, I am interested to know what brought you to Buddhism. Weather you are devout or just passing through, how did you know this was for you? What in the teachings resonated with you most?

BlueSky 19-07-2011 06:14 PM

First it was Eastern thought and with that my journey began with Hinduism...that is until I read a line that said life is one big game....lol
Buddhism followed and I found myself interested in The Buddha's life and pursuit to understand suffering. From there over the years I began to grasp what I read about buddhism but not immediately. I look at that now as that I grasped only what 'they' grasped. It didn't mean there was something to grasp, such as 'truth'.
If I had to pick a religion it would be Buddhism but I am not a buddhist.
There is much about it that I think serves life very well.
James

002 Cents 19-07-2011 06:49 PM

So, you are a bit of a wanderer like myself? I can respect that.

BlueSky 19-07-2011 06:59 PM

Ha! I learn from multiple directions. Maybe someday I'll make a new religion that combines them all....lol

002 Cents 19-07-2011 07:12 PM

I am all for people finding their own path. Perhaps you could just share your experiences in a book to help others along their paths. I know someone who did that. It is such a beautiful book too.

BlueSky 20-07-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 002 Cents
I am all for people finding their own path. Perhaps you could just share your experiences in a book to help others along their paths. I know someone who did that. It is such a beautiful book too.

The thing there is I'm not convinced it was a "path" as much as I am convinced it was a "need".
James

Student4Life1975 20-07-2011 11:54 AM

the neutrality that comes with it. i like the idea of not committing to anything, because once you do, inherantly as a result, you define everything else as seperate. and that closes your mind somewhat.

plus i like a god that has a pot belly, it reflects inperfection, which is a integral part of life...

BlueSky 20-07-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Student4Life1975
the neutrality that comes with it. i like the idea of not committing to anything, because once you do, inherantly as a result, you define everything else as seperate. and that closes your mind somewhat.

plus i like a god that has a pot belly, it reflects inperfection, which is a integral part of life...

Love that belly to! The thing is, which I realized later on.........Buddha figures take on many forms. That one is called the happy Buddha. :smile:

earthy 20-07-2011 12:55 PM

plus i like a god that has a pot belly, it reflects inperfection, which is a integral part of life...[/quote]

I studied Buddhism as a part of my yoga training and have been studying it ever since.

Student4Life, Buddha was not/is not a God, Buddha was an ordinary person (well, okay a Prince) who attained enlightment under a fig tree. There have been many Buddha's since, but none of which are Gods.

002 Cents 20-07-2011 07:55 PM

I dunno, I never really cared for the big bellied Buddha rolling around on his mound of treasure... seemed very glutinous not so much an accurate depiction of what Buddha stood for. From my vantage point.

I think the emaciated Buddha struck me more. Representing his will and dedication to his spiritual journey to the point he starved himself believing that would bring him closer and perhaps it did. As it was his devastated physical state that led the young woman to give him food. Probably necessary as one of his lessons to enlightenment. Although he later determining it was a bad idea to have started himself for so long. But so few have that kind of commitment to their spiritual self. Like I am going to suffer, sacrifice and deprive myself the various simple pleasures that many take for granted. Who does that? I honestly can't think of any except for some Monks I had the pleasure of sitting with once.

Sorry, I do know a little about the History... Buddhism is one of the practices for which I have profound admiration.