Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Crystals & Gemstones (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Help with Stone Please (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=118279)

SaturninePluto 08-11-2017 10:18 PM

Help with Stone Please

Hi everyone.

Recently I came across this stone, looks plain enough. I have been trying to determine if it is a possible Geode or not. I have looked up images online, but it isn't very helpful.

Can anybody here help me out with this? Does anyone have an idea if this stone could be a geode or not? I am unsure, and have been trying to figure it out. The sure-fire way is to smash it, but I do not want it to come to that quite yet, I would like to determine this without destroying/smashing the stone just yet. I have been using it as a makeshift pestle. Here are the images.

Thank you very much to anyone here who can help determine this. Much appreciated.

Blessings.

Chrysalis 09-11-2017 03:36 AM

Hi there,

Your stone looks too smooth to be a raw (unopened) geode.

Well, that's my two bits.

Lynn 09-11-2017 03:54 AM

Hello

Only way to know will be to open it, it does seem a bit too smooth, but who knows. I have an amethyst that is very smooth on the outside.

Lynn

Vondee 09-11-2017 05:26 AM

I don't believe this is a geode, or a nodule. The variety I've had the most experience with are a variety made from calcite, sourced from layers of limestone. These usually have a telltale uneven surface texture to suggest they were formed by filling in a void (or a vug) in the rock layer. Your stone is very smooth, but I think it's very very pretty. [:

Another test I've used in the past is: pick it up and shake it, is there anything moving inside?

Or

Does it seem to weigh less than it should for its size? This will indicate a void, thus a geode.

I wish you the best of luck!
-V

SaturninePluto 09-11-2017 12:37 PM

Thank you all very much for your responses, I think you all are right, no I do not think a geode fits.

I have been wondering though, if there is any type of crystallization to this particular rock. It has areas of reddish hue/tint all about, and the pocket like holes (not sure on what you'd call them or which type these are) that lead me to think something may be up with it, but I am not sure. At first I thought the areas of red are blood? But... really? I found it out of doors in my neighborhood, in a small alley next to the house.

I fought a spider tooth and nail for possession of it. I am incredibly fearful of spiders... :rolleyes:

I suppose I will wait until the time is right if I can not find anymore information.

I am not willing just yet to smash it. Something asks that I wait.

Thank you all for the responses, will update you all, if I ever find anything relevant to this stone.

Blessings. :hug2:

SaturninePluto 14-11-2017 05:49 AM

This is another image of the rock taken with my phone, I have found bits of the red on the stone that are more visible to look crystallized, I also am thinking there are also perhaps green bits within, but I am not quite sure yet. When you look closely at the stone it appears to almost look like smoky quartz underneath as well, then again with how the surface looks plain, and this can be seen by my eyes at least just under the surface, I can not tell for absolute certain what type of stone it actually is. The red is there for certain, I believe they are not surface stains, but rather within the stone.

I do not know if anyone else here can see exactly what it is I mean at all in this photo, but I posted as the phone photo actually does show a bit more color, imo.

I have decided the way I will handle this to try and find out more, will be to polish it up with a grinder and diamond paper a bit, and see if anything could be ascertained like that.

Just a small update, will have to wait on the polishing until the diamond paper is gathered. The grinder I already have.

seedoflight 15-11-2017 09:37 PM

Hello
I believe what you have there is a form of volcanic ejecta, known as an
Olivine bomb... Pretty cool stuff actually! My best guess is that it
Has a bit of vesuvianite in it... Good for dispelling fear.
The rest is a pot luck of various minerals...
Look it up and see if you don't find something very close to what you have...
Olivine bombs vary greatly from location to location but that's my feeling
Of what you got.

SaturninePluto 15-11-2017 10:40 PM

Hi Seedoflight,

I have googled images of what you speak of, I would be inclined to agree with you it is something very similar to an olivine bomb, but I do not believe that is exactly what it is.

My reasons for this, is there was no black volcanic substance on it when I found it, I found it just as it is. The base stone it seems for the most part made of, looks like a translucent quartz, at first I thought it smoky quartz, but it is very gray up close, and almost looks blue from further away, I believe it to not actually be quartz but Glaucophane or something similar to it. It has bits of red like I said, and maybe green, I am not positive if it indeed has green at this time.

The closest minerals I have found to make sense to me are perhaps garnet within glaucophane or eclogite or something like these.

I will know more if indeed I get rock polishing supplies I am hoping for for Christmas. If I do get the diamond paper I need, then hopefully will know more after December. Crossing my fingers as I am going a bit insane trying to get to the bottom to the mystery of this stone, hahaha.

Even if it is just a plain old rock, I really have grown fond of this stone, I felt called to it the moment I saw it. I went back for it on many different occasions until its resident spider finally vacated.

Thanks for the responses everyone and the help.

It is going to be a long month. I love a mystery.

seedoflight 16-11-2017 12:51 AM

Hey Pluto
I know how you feel! I found something similar while hiking in the
Mountains here... It looks very similar to yours but is very red/terracotta colored.
No doubt some sort of ejecta, it's not very eye catching but I love the energy...
In the end that's what really matters!
Have a good one!

CrystalSong 16-11-2017 01:47 AM

Whatever it is it looks like a river stone - meaning its been time worn and shaped by moving water.