Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Spiritual Development (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   What exactly is an ''old soul''? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=53426)

jordank 29-06-2013 08:18 PM

What exactly is an ''old soul''?

Hello
I want to ask you what exactly is an ''old soul''? Is a person who is highly evolved spiritually or something like that? Thank you.

wstein 30-06-2013 03:08 AM

The old soul idea is based in the concept that souls incarnate into bodies multiple times in order learn through experience. An old soul is one that has accumulated much spiritual wisdom by living many many incarnations (think at least thousands, though probably a couple orders of magnitude more).

Note: not all 'souls' choose to gain spiritual wisdom via incarnation.

Greenslade 30-06-2013 10:09 AM

I'd be interested in why you're asking the question. Being an Old Soul means different things to different people, including the Souls themselves so there isn't a one-size-fits-all answer to this one.

jordank 30-06-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wstein
The old soul idea is based in the concept that souls incarnate into bodies multiple times in order learn through experience. An old soul is one that has accumulated much spiritual wisdom by living many many incarnations (think at least thousands, though probably a couple orders of magnitude more).

Note: not all 'souls' choose to gain spiritual wisdom via incarnation.

Thank you very much for your answer.

jordank 30-06-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenslade
I'd be interested in why you're asking the question. Being an Old Soul means different things to different people, including the Souls themselves so there isn't a one-size-fits-all answer to this one.

I asked this question because I want to know more about ''old souls''. I knew that that are most evolved from this planet.

sesheta 30-06-2013 04:28 PM

To wstein

The old soul idea is based in the concept that souls incarnate into bodies multiple times in order learn through experience. An old soul is one that has accumulated much spiritual wisdom by living many many incarnations

I like this definition- I agree :)

dreamt 30-06-2013 09:09 PM

Is there a way a person could find out how old or young they are?
(I'm guessing that an older soul probably wouldn't even ask this question).

ThoughtOnFire 30-06-2013 10:28 PM

They said that the Buddha upon Realizing Nirvana remembered his past life. Then he remembered 10 past lives. Then he remembered 100 past lives. And then he remembered 1,000 past lives. He then remembered 10,000 past lives. On and on his past lives spanned infinitely into the depths of Eternity.

jordank 30-06-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThoughtOnFire
They said that the Buddha upon Realizing Nirvana remembered his past life. Then he remembered 10 past lives. Then he remembered 100 past lives. And then he remembered 1,000 past lives. He then remembered 10,000 past lives. On and on his past lives spanned infinitely into the depths of Eternity.

I didn't knew this. Very interesting, I have to search the internet.

Greenslade 01-07-2013 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordank
I asked this question because I want to know more about ''old souls''. I knew that that are most evolved from this planet.

Not so much the most evolved on the planet because evolution isn't so important to most of them, and a Soul's evolution isn't linear. Some also 'evolve' on other planes of existence and not just the earth and some are here for other reasons than learning and growing. The term has never been defined as far as I know (thankfully) so I doubt you'll find any real kind of answer to this one, and a true Old Soul will be a bit reluctant to define what it means to be one. There are a few on these boards and they're just like regular people, some don't even realise they're Old Souls. Often it's possible to recognise an Old Soul by their aura or their vibrations. If you're trying to be like one, please don't even try because it's more important for your Soul to make its own Journey rather than try and emulate another Soul's. If you're looking for specific information I very much doubt there is any. If you think you are one then you'll just know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamt
Is there a way a person could find out how old or young they are?
(I'm guessing that an older soul probably wouldn't even ask this question).

It's difficult to tell the 'age' of a Soul because there is no time and the growing of a Soul isn't a linear process, they might 'skip a class' then go back later. So an Old Soul might come across as someone who has just started their Journey would, they wouldn't have any obvious indicators. As Dr Who said - "Wibbly wobbly timey-wimey".

And no, I wouldn't even ask that question.