Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Spiritualism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Spiritualism as a Religion. (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27091)

mac 10-12-2011 12:22 PM

In the UK an explanation doesn't need quite so many words.... :wink:

deepsea 10-12-2011 12:54 PM

I appreciate all your replies,some interesting information there of facts I was not aware of,like Spiritualism being recognised as a religion in the UK,Mac.

Why my question was asked was for a simple reason.
After moving from one area to another in the UK,I checked the telephone directory looking for the nearest Spiritualist church in the area.
I looked under 'churches' for an entry for Spiritualism.
Nothing was listed for that request.

When my husband passed over I wanted a Spiritualist minister to adminster the service.
Couldn't find one.
When I finally attended the spiritualist church,which was after his funeral,I was informed they could have provided one for me.
True late was the cry.
:icon_frown:

MMM 10-12-2011 01:02 PM

spiritualist churches recognized with the national spiritualist union are shown on map on http://www.snu.org.uk/community/community.html
there are other spiritualist churches who are not recognized by the union

MMM 10-12-2011 01:02 PM

you can still hold a memorial service for your husband

mac 10-12-2011 01:17 PM

"....I checked the telephone directory looking for the nearest Spiritualist church in the area.
Nothing was listed for that request."

Local listings, including telephone directories, may not have every service provider listed.

Some Spiritualist churches may not have a phone or someone prepared to use their own number for church business.

deepsea 10-12-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM
you can still hold a memorial service for your husband

I know,but it's not quite the same.
I would have liked to have a full spiritualist service for him.
He was,after all,a believer in spiritualism himself.
Nice of you to suggest it though,MMM.
:smile:

deepsea 10-12-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac
"....I checked the telephone directory looking for the nearest Spiritualist church in the area.
Nothing was listed for that request."

Local listings, including telephone directories, may not have every service provider listed.

Some Spiritualist churches may not have a phone or someone prepared to use their own number for church business.

That's what local church did up north,Mac. Luckily someone gave me the number.

Here where I live now,the previous manager of the estate was a regular goer to the church. So I was invited to attend with her.
Another query,Mac. Daughter happened to mention that in the Two Worlds magazine that most of the spiritualist churches advertised were mostly from the south,not many if any, churches were mentioned further north up country.
Have we got a dividing line between north and south?
:wink:

mac 10-12-2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepsea
That's what local church did up north,Mac. Luckily someone gave me the number.

Here where I live now,the previous manager of the estate was a regular goer to the church. So I was invited to attend with her.
Another query,Mac. Daughter happened to mention that in the Two Worlds magazine that most of the spiritualist churches advertised were mostly from the south,not many if any, churches were mentioned further north up country.
Have we got a dividing line between north and south?
:wink:

It's true that Two Worlds carries predominantly south-of-the-country adverts for churches. I'd guess that the only dividing line that there may be between north and south is one unintentionally created by the churches.

Advertising rates don't vary so one would assume that many committees or organisers don't feel it necessary to advertise. I'd be surprised if Two Worlds - or PN for that matter - doesn't approach them to offer advertising space as cash is tight and advertising must be important.

What we could do with is the input of church-goers and/or committee members to understand the broader situation....

deepsea 10-12-2011 07:25 PM

I was asking because I was looking for another church reasonably near to me I could attend as an alternative to the one where I live.
There is one in the town near to where daughter lives but still a bit of a journey unless I stay overnight with her.
Still could be worth considering......Thanks Mac.

Enya 10-12-2011 11:26 PM

I've found this odd too... the only way anyone would know there are Spiritualist churches in our area is if they happen to read the church notices once a month in the local paper! That's about the *only* time mention is made of them, anywhere. Our Yellow Pages or Thomson Directories don't carry their details. I'm not sure if either publication charges for a church entry?

Deepsea, take a look online, on the SNU site - they should list local churches.