Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Love & Relationships -Friends and Family (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Role Reversal in Relationships (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111701)

Element 5 14-03-2017 06:10 PM

Role Reversal in Relationships

I'm trying to decide if my boyfriend has just not emotionally matured out of childhood, or if it's something else. Physically speaking, he always wants to lay his head in my lap or on my chest when we're on the couch or in bed. I will be laying on my side facing away from him and he will tap me on the shoulder so I'll lay on my back for him to put his head on me. I would be okay with this if it was a 50/50 thing, but it's not. He's got a lot of other issues too, like being messy, and never cleaning his apartment or car. I suppose, in a lot of ways, I feel like he wants a mother with the benefits of a girlfriend. But, this leaves me feeling like the only adult in the relationship. He does have a great job, making a great living, and he's very successful in that way. But, he makes about 3 times more than I do and he lets me pay for things often. And I mean OFTEN. That's my personality, so I do it. But, let's just say he's not chivalrous at all. The lack of receiving affection from him, but him wanting it FROM me, leaves me feeling starved for it. And I have two kids that do that already. I want someone I can feel vulnerable with, that will be a bit more of a traditional male. I suppose in a lot of ways I feel like I'm giving more than I'm receiving. And I believe there should be more balance. Like, I want to be spooned sometimes too! There's a lot more to our relationship, but the role reversal with the affection has got me wondering if there's a reason behind this that stems from childhood or something.

Lorelyen 15-03-2017 10:46 AM

Until we make changes to our lives through expanding awareness, self-evaluation and the like, we're all prisoners of our childhood.

People are as they are. They can awaken to not being what they want to be - that's the start of a spiritual exploration no matter how you look at it, even if it's based on the mundane - say, a new career or something. But it up to them to wake up. You may be able to prompt it, or something can happen to the person to prompt it but they have to act. They have to work out what they need to do, with help if necessary.

Have you talked with him about this? If so, what was his response?

It could just be a mismatch. People don't change overnight and it's unfair to talk about his emotional maturity. He is as he is. Unless you're the person to "mature" him in the shape you want, it may be best to move on.

To me, emotional maturity comes from balancing emotion with the rational, when we can understand why we react as we do toward certain people/things, at least to the extent of recognising symptoms, signs, within our experiences that let us anticipate outcomes. If I might be excused a generalisation, men aren't too good at this. They hold their emotions at second remove - not that it's their dark side, it's just how conditioning has put up a barrier.

You may have a hard task. His priorities are different. My bf thinks I'm messy because he's excessively neat. I'm not. I leave stuff about because I may want to lay my hands on it any time. But I have system. If someone asked me where something is, I can lay my hands on it straight away. As I've told him - what you see is what you get!

shoni7510 15-03-2017 02:39 PM

Element 5, you are describing a situation that sound like a mamma's boy. They are normally very romantic and want to cuddle up to their women. To them it is a thin line between a mother and a lover. It is very frustrating to be on the receiving end. Is he the first or last born or an only child or boy?

Element 5 15-03-2017 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoni7510
Element 5, you are describing a situation that sound like a mamma's boy. They are normally very romantic and want to cuddle up to their women. To them it is a thin line between a mother and a lover. It is very frustrating to be on the receiving end. Is he the first or last born or an only child or boy?

His is the first born of two boys. His mother did everything for him and sheltered him immensely in youth. She's a worrisome person, which annoys him. He does seem to want mothering from me in selective ways. Like receiving affection. But, in other ways he's very "this is my stuff, don't touch it". So, you can see my confusion. It all feels like it's on his terms. I don't think he was ever taught consideration for other people's feelings. Not to say he's absent of consideration, but he tends to focus on his point of view without realizing how his actions make me feel. And he does not express his thoughts to me about things. I call him Mr. No Elaboration. He says I love you and I miss you easily, but never TELLS me how he feels about us. Very guarded and uninterested in that deep emotional connection.

Element 5 15-03-2017 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorelyen
Until we make changes to our lives through expanding awareness, self-evaluation and the like, we're all prisoners of our childhood.

People are as they are. They can awaken to not being what they want to be - that's the start of a spiritual exploration no matter how you look at it, even if it's based on the mundane - say, a new career or something. But it up to them to wake up. You may be able to prompt it, or something can happen to the person to prompt it but they have to act. They have to work out what they need to do, with help if necessary.

Have you talked with him about this? If so, what was his response?

I have not brought it up, but it's getting closer. I've already started mentioning small things, like the messiness.

It could just be a mismatch. People don't change overnight and it's unfair to talk about his emotional maturity. He is as he is. Unless you're the person to "mature" him in the shape you want, it may be best to move on.

To me, emotional maturity comes from balancing emotion with the rational, when we can understand why we react as we do toward certain people/things, at least to the extent of recognising symptoms, signs, within our experiences that let us anticipate outcomes. If I might be excused a generalisation, men aren't too good at this. They hold their emotions at second remove - not that it's their dark side, it's just how conditioning has put up a barrier.

His lack of emotional maturity comes from inexperience and from the fact that he shuts down anytime something uncomfortable comes up. Or he attacks in response. I'm of the belief that we grow emotionally when we aren't afraid of the emotions we have. He avoids them, rather than embraces them. I've caught him lying to me rather than admitting the truth because that would've meant he'd have to talk about it. So I feel like he's stunted in a way. It's just like with exercise. If you don't use your muscles, they aren't as strong.

You may have a hard task. His priorities are different. My bf thinks I'm messy because he's excessively neat. I'm not. I leave stuff about because I may want to lay my hands on it any time. But I have system. If someone asked me where something is, I can lay my hands on it straight away. As I've told him - what you see is what you get!

His priorities ARE different and that's one of our biggest problems. He wants to do things that most kids do, and I want to be an adult.

Thanks for your feedback!!

heartsound 16-03-2017 03:55 AM

Are you unhappy?

Element 5 16-03-2017 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeartSound
Are you unhappy?

It's hard to answer that question to be honest. There is part of me that is content and excited about our future. But, I'm also very scared. I'm most terrified of being taken for granted again and I've seen so many men get complacent in relationships (mostly marriages) and they just quit trying. And I'm really a very laid back person. I don't demand much of the person I'm with. Just a certain amount of time and attention. I'm not sure if the little bit of attention I get from him is truly enough. And so, I'm constantly in a state of trying to figure out if we are compatible. It's just not a very cut and dry situation. I do know this, I would be very sad not to be with him. I wouldn't want him to not be in my life. And that doesn't come from a place of weakness or co-dependency, but rather from a place of being content with so many of the positive aspects of our relationship. On any given day I will be happy with were we are for the most part. And the next day I feel lonely and want more from him. It's a roller coaster for sure.

7luminaries 20-03-2017 06:37 PM

Element 5, hello there!

I think things usually resolve or do not in 6 month cycles, based on my experience. If you've given it 6 months of conversation and feedback and support, then if it were me, maybe give another 6 months to wait and see if things change and if you're ok with it. I think it often becomes pretty apparent within the first few months of that 2nd 6 months period which direction things are trending.

If they are not trending toward more growth and more giving on his part, then you will need to accept he will not or cannot give you what you need right now and in the foreseeable future. Whether you stay with him or not. Maybe in future he will take enough steps forward to carry his share of the load and maybe never in this lifetime. All that is speculative. All you do know is what he is doing and saying right now. BUT....If you stay when things show no improvement, then you are in effect settling for whatever you currently have as the maximum output from him...and you are owning your choice to carry the bulk of the relationship load.

What that means is that if you continue to sign onto things as they are, do not EVER expect them to change for the better. In fact, you may be seen as being unreasonable if you ever complain to him in future that you're tired of doing the lion's share. As far as he is concerned, you will have continued to stay with him and have sex with him and mother him, all whilst knowing full well he did not fulfill the bulk of your many requests (if any) to do more for you in return.

Most women need to do one thing above all else...pay hard attention to the combination of words and deeds.

Words alone are meaningless by themselves. Words are only genuine expressions when backed up by actions. And any actions in contradiction to the words always supersede the words. Some folks don't even want to deal with hypocrisy so they don't make any promises or use a lot of words.

Either way, actions (including words) trump words alone. SO...LOOK AT YOUR ACTIONS...if you talk and talk, but you suck it up & take it and don't walk...THAT is what men see.

I know this sounds discouraging, but the hard truth is that most men see growth as optional...and only if required in order to obtain what they want. Only the spiritually and emotionally advanced men will even appreciate one iota of your sacrifice in staying and remaining intimate and compliant whilst getting little to none of what you need. And so if the 6-month cycles are showing no change, you will need to accept that most men by and large don't value words over actions. And neither should you, when dealing with the vast majority of men...yes, even if you think or feel you know them well.

If you are ok with what you're getting as things stand, then proceed. Eyes wide open. With absolutely no further expectation of change on his part. Ever. Whatever else you may (or may not) ever get from him must be understood as pure gravy. Not to be relied upon.

Otherwise, your other choice is to leave. And to raise expectations a bit higher for the next gent, to a place where you are not carrying the lion's share ad infinitum. Remember, you always have a choice. And the truth is, we can't always live day-to-day with some folks even though we love them dearly. But to have the same conversation (over critical things) with no movement or resolution over and over again is like beating your head against a brick wall and somehow expecting a different outcome each time. It doesn't work like that just because we might badly hope for it, does it ?

There's another option altogether. If he's not up to carrying his share of the partner relationship load, you can always forego the sex, the shacking up and the bill-splitting (which he can handle on his own if he's loaded and you can save that $$$ for your kids). Instead, you can simply be friends. Real friends, without the sex and without you carrying his share. Where you can just hang out and talk and give one another support. No matter what else, you can always offer him your friendship. Whilst being open to a different partner to come into your life.

In that way, if ever you were to find he is really not into supporting you as a person or simply being your true friend without the sex and mothering, then you would be able to see it as it truly is and position yourself accordingly. Perhaps he is a wonderful friend and can truly be supportive of you emotionally just as a person, once sex and mothering is out of the picture. Or perhaps you'll see he has little regard or time for women he's not shagging. It's hard to say from here, but who knows?

Either way, all the best to you in finding balance and true partnership in your life. It's a universal issue for most of humanity at this time :hug:

Peace & blessings :hug3:
7L

smewii 20-03-2017 06:55 PM

Someone who behaves like that can be toxic and usually relationships can't last very long... 'cuz if you met someone who's a real man you wouldn't look back. To me, it does sound like he hasn't grown out of childhood entirely... many 40 year old men are like that, specially if their mother gave them everything like you say.

I feel that the hardness of life is what makes us mature and become "providers" instead of receivers, it looks like he hasn't gone trough real tough times. I at least have embraced the alpha male providing protecting kind of personality after having gone trough ****.

I don't know, I'm not a psychologist and it would probably take one to give you a definitive answer as to why he does that, but please be transparent with him and let him know, if he truly appreciates you and this is not just an emotional connection he has, he'll make an effort to evolve into a man who makes you feel more fulfilled.

Wish you the best! And if he doesn't make a move and start giving more (I respect that you are willing to pay for a lot of stuff despite you earning much less btw) you should consider shifting your attention to someone else.

7luminaries 20-03-2017 07:06 PM

Alpha males can be just as toxic and as needy in their demands and controlling ways, which reflect huge insecurities and which can be extremely degrading and demeaning toward women.

Element5 is right on when she is simply looking for a partner who is emotionally mature and who can carry his own weight. Who respects the woman as an equal, and who treats her honourably and not like a prostitute whose sole purpose is to serve men sexually and/or stroke their egos.

Someone who is not so arrogant or immature as to be unable to step outside his own urges and needs and who can be present for another person.

Peace & blessings,
7L