Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Buddhism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Buddhist sub-culture (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=123305)

sky 17-06-2018 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain95
React to what and how? Not sure what you are talking about.

I think you are sure :biggrin: thats why you changed your words completely...

Rain95 17-06-2018 05:58 AM

Quote:

A serious split developed among the monks at Kosambi. Originally precipitated by a trivial dispute – whether it was allowable to leave water in the dipper in the bathroom. The Buddha attempted to resolve the dispute, but failed and left to go on retreat. https://sujato.wordpress.com/2009/11...el-at-kosambi/

According to this, Buddha would take a look at the forums, then say ok I'm going on retreat.

Eelco 17-06-2018 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samana
That's a matter of opinion, one doesn't always need a lengthy explanation to grasp the meaning of a word and place it in context. There's also a great deal more than just the teachings about the Eightfold Path in the Pali Canon.

I don't look in here very often but in general I sometimes get the feeling theres there's constant struggle and confusion here between posters who think they can teach others about Buddhism, wanting to be "top dog" - and it doesn't necessarily make friendly, interesting, or rational dialogue.

Anyway, it is as it is. May everyone be well and happy.

<<waves goodbye>>

Take care.

S. _/|\_

Maybe so.

With love
Eelco

Eelco 17-06-2018 06:09 AM

Quote:

According to this, Buddha would take a look at the forums, then say ok I'm going on retreat.

Yup.
And as such we are left wondering how he was affected by it.
Although he does explain later how he viewed the whole thing as a teaching.

With Love
Eelco

Samana 17-06-2018 06:14 AM

I think its rather pointless speculating about what someone who lived 2,500 years ago in Iron Age India would have thought about internet forums.

However, the Buddha did say the following words -

"... there are here some foolish men who study the Teaching; having studied it, they do not wisely examine the purpose of those teachings. To those who do not wisely examine the purpose, these teachings will not yield insight. They study the Teaching only to use it for criticizing or for refuting others in disputation. They do not experience the (true) purpose for which they (ought to) study the Teaching. To them these teachings wrongly grasped, will bring harm and suffering for a long time. And why? Because of their wrong grasp of the teachings."

(MN 22 Alagaddupama Sutta: The Snake Simile).

All the best. _/|\_

Eelco 17-06-2018 06:16 AM

In that case I think I'm done here..

Take care everyone.

With Love
Eelco

sky 17-06-2018 06:38 AM

Quote:

I told someone earlier today I knew you would not answer. The pattern in your thinking keeps repeating for some reason. It's like in loop mode.

Ask the person you told to answer for me :biggrin:

Rain95 17-06-2018 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky123
Ask the person you told to answer for me :biggrin:

Asked who to do what? I'm confused. Is English your main language?

sky 17-06-2018 07:03 AM

Quote:

Asked who to do what? I'm confused. Is English your main language?

You know perfectly well, you wrote below,
' I told someone earlier today I knew you would not answer '
So I wrote,
Ask the person you told to answer for me.

Mybe the moral of your story is,
Don't presume and don't speak about others behind their back, something that you do in PM.

Rain95 17-06-2018 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky123
You know perfectly well,

You mad about something? No I am being 100% honest here. I can't understand you all. But that's ok. I tried to ask you questions to understand your posts directed at me but you would not answer which is fine too. Don't matter.