Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Natural Remedies (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   natural remedies for colds. (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6242)

kews99 13-11-2010 09:48 PM

natural remedies for colds.

My family have romany gypsy origins and we have grown up using the power of herbs and knowlege of everything natural for almost all ailments . my grandad used to sleep with onions in his socks to clear out cold.
also for damadged bones tissues after ops comfrey is good. x

Animus27 14-11-2010 07:26 AM

Yes, comfrey is very nice. I lament the loss of my plants :(

One should be careful in consuming it. Some studies have shown that prolonged use can cause liver damage. Thus it is usually used externally, rather than internally.

For colds, garlic, garlic and garlic! Along with honey, ginger and cinnamon. And good ole home made chicken soup. That's my trick. Oh, and of course, herbal teas and green tea help perk you up.

ironically, I have recently succumbed to a sore throat! Doggone it.

psychoslice 14-11-2010 07:30 AM

Yea garlic, garlic and hot chillies, eat them until your nose and eye's are running.

Animus27 14-11-2010 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoslice
Yea garlic, garlic and hot chillies, eat them until your nose and eye's are running.

Ahhh, my favorite. How could I forget!
And don't forget wasabi. the BEST for nasal congestion, and for sneaking into unsuspecting people's food :wink:

olgasneh 16-11-2010 05:25 AM

Lady's fingers are very valuable for the treatment of sore throat and persistent dry cough because it is rich in mucilage and acts as a medicine to relieve the irritation, swelling and pain. Ginger is another natural anti-viral herbs that reduces pain and fever and a mild sedative effect, which contributes to a rest.

Adrienne 16-11-2010 09:54 AM

just wondering, what is wasabi ?

and Lady fingers ? I thought that was a dessert, like a cookie with filling in it ? or not ?

hot tea with a little brandy is good for sore throats

Dream Angel xx

Animus27 16-11-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dream Angel
just wondering, what is wasabi ?

and Lady fingers ? I thought that was a dessert, like a cookie with filling in it ? or not ?

hot tea with a little brandy is good for sore throats

Dream Angel xx

Wasabi is basically Japanese horseradish. They serve it as a condiment for Sushi and Sashimi.

eraser 16-11-2010 08:38 PM

Echoing the praise for lots of garlic. I also increase my intake of vitamin C at the first sign of a cold. If I happen to catch the bug anyway, I enjoy treating my cold with a hot toddy: hot water, rum or whisky, honey and lemon. Amounts vary. ;)

Adrienne 16-11-2010 09:29 PM

thank you Animus for the wasabi info, cool avatar you have !

eraser ~ hot toddy sounds good, even if one doesn't have a cold

Miss Hepburn 16-11-2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kews99
...also for damadged bones tissues after ops comfrey is good. x

COMFREY! OMG.
It is a wonder herb!

I have arthritis or something painful in my rt big toe joint - go figure.
Not gout.
I wrapped it in comfrey mixed with oil and honey to make it into a pultice that didn't fall apart ---wrapped it with athetic tape then a sock -problem gone for days!
I mean just GONE!

Make patties and wrap with handy wrap to store a few in fridge.