Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Death & The Afterlife (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What are your thoughts on pets and the afterlife? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10392)

daver 02-02-2011 08:32 AM

What are your thoughts on pets and the afterlife?

Just recently, on 1-11-11, I had to make the painful decision to end my best friends life. She had been the most wonderful cat that you can imagine, and she came into my life around 10 years ago, during its lowest point.

I was there the day she was born, and I was there as she took her last breath and her heart stopped at 5:43pm and 21 seconds. I had looked at my watch when the vet told me that she was now gone. She had feline leukemia and was suffering. They said that there was nothing they could do for her and that she would only get worse. It was the worst day of my life.

I know some would say that it is just an animal, and I have lost pets before, but nothing compares to this for me. At the time she was born, I was very depressed and battling thought of suicide. She somehow could see my pain and formed a bond with me that is hard to explain. Her unconditional love is what helped me to heal and turn my life around. She literally saved my life, and became my best friend and companion.

I'd like to think that she is in a better place, and that I'll see her again, but I just don't know what to think. It's been 3 weeks and I still get emotional and teary-eyed when I think of her. I have not have any dreams of her yet, nor any signs from her that I noticed. I also have had experiences in the past with spirits of people who have passed, but nothing concerning animals. I would appreciate any thoughts anyone here might have on pets and what happens when they pass over. Thank you.

Tiss 02-02-2011 06:25 PM

Dear daver,

I am with you, and I perfectly understand what you feel.

Even though I am not an expert, I noticed that beliefs about the existence of a pet "spirit" or "soul" strongly depends on each person.

But it doesn't matter indeed. It truly matters what she was for you, how she helped heal your life, and all unconditional love she gave you during her life.

Such sweet memories and her love won't disappear with her death. I am sure that when the time goes by, and you feel a little bit more calm in your grief, you will receive a projection of her love in many ways. Maybe in your dreams, or looking at her picture, or perhaps remembering her purrs when she was pleased.

Please, take our opinions here as a mere reference and not as a law, and hopefully you will go ahead on your own path of spiritual evolution keeping her as the guide of compasion she truly was.

Receive my hug. :hug2:

Native spirit 02-02-2011 06:58 PM

:hug: Daver

It is totally understandable to feel as u do after the loss of your pet, i too have had to make the same decission on a few occasions, your pet will live on some same the animals go to play over the rainbow bridge,
i have felt my own pets since having to make the painful desicion to put them to sleep.
and have heard my dog barking its his way of letting me know hes ok, your pets live on after all there is no such thing as death only life after life.
your cat is well ,

Namaste

ces 02-02-2011 07:08 PM

Beautiful wings your friend has received - they stay in your heart and memories and are never far from your side. hugs cesx

Tiss 02-02-2011 07:36 PM

Mybe you know it, but just in case.... It's to read with an open mind. I personally don't believe in heaven as a place to go but time ago, I strongly decided to abandon rigid thoughts and to take the best of each world, and I am able to take good things from it.
:smile:

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

:hug3:

in progress 02-02-2011 07:42 PM

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I had two cats die this past year. Both have visited me in dreams. The last one took four months to show up but there she was just about a week ago. I picked her up and we smiled at one another. I'm certain she stopped by to say "hi". The other one has shown up several times in dreams and the last time she showed me the new color of her fur coat she'd be coming back in! Now that was cool!

earthprowler 02-02-2011 07:51 PM

They are by no means in the most beautiful place you could ever imagine.

I've been lucky enough to have 3 animals visit after they left, but only my wolf/hybrid showed me what it looked like in her land. she couldn't walk that well because of the arthritis in her back hips. She had to be lifted up and down the three steps that led to the out side and back in again. She was my baby since I was 4 and I was then 18.....I got a lifetime with her. But, in a dream as many come she came (of all the dogs we had, I was always surprised the wolf came).

It was BEAUTIFUL! she was running......running FAST! she was showing me her legs worked again and there was no more pain. She was in a beautiful green field, with a forest behind her for as far as the eye could see. Everything was ok with her again.

She was my first favorite, I named her at 4, Pinky because her nose was all Pink. I still love her.

Does that help a little? :hug2:

Shabda 02-02-2011 07:55 PM

animals have an afterlife too...i am often visited by several of the cats i once had...can hear them jump off the counter and land on the floor (a distinctive sound for any cat owner) as well as feel it walk by and rub against my calves as it always did when alive....i have no cats now, so im not mistaking these things...sometimes it hops on the bed next tome and cuddles and sleeps...pay attention, your friend my well come back to hang around from time to time...

Westleigh 02-02-2011 09:06 PM

What kind of place would the spirit world be if there were no animals in it? :smile:

I have communicated with animals in the spirit world, and most mediums I know of have had some experiences with doing so, though it's a little tougher to convey messages from them - communication with animals is very much about "feeling" rather than "speaking". My guides have told me that, too, many of us have a big crowd of animals in the spirit world who have been our companions in lives before, waiting for us to come home, just as in the Rainbow Bridge poem. I've even said hello to one of mine. Of course we can have animal soulmates as well as human soulmates, who we have bonded with in lifetimes before this one. Perhaps your very special friend was one to you.

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure she is still with you, even if you can no longer feel her there. :hug2:

Enya 02-02-2011 09:22 PM

It's difficult to grieve for an animal companion when there are some who say 'It's just an animal'. Well to my mind, that's their loss, because they never experienced the love you and your cat have had.

Perhaps you are trying too hard to sense her... my communications with my pets have included one jumping up on the bed and purring, another meowing outside the window, another rubbing against my legs. Often, we can dismiss such events as imagination or a need... but they're not.

Our dog died suddenly in December and we were in shreds over his death. We still miss him. At first, I kept seeing him in his usual spots and dismissed it as an echo, a memory. It wasn't until one morning I 'saw' him getting excited about me going out to work that I spoke to him. Bingo. All he needed was that acknowledgement and I count myself lucky that he seems to be helping me with healing now.

Focus on allowing yourself time to grieve and be open to good memories and her presence. When the time is right, you'll re-connect. xxx