Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Judaism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   What Is A messanic Jew? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=40994)

jalini 16-09-2012 08:04 PM

What Is A messanic Jew?

I have the wkii definition but am seeking the practices and differences of Judiasm and the Messanic Jews as you would be familiar with the Faith..

Thank you, jalini

Yamah 19-09-2012 06:32 AM

A messianic Jew is someone who believes that Yeshu came to be messiah to the Jewish people, and thus in order to follow him properly one needs to be Jewish. Thus they believe in all of the commandments of the Original Testament and practice them to varying degrees with varying interpretations based on the community they belong to. I have met a few Messianic Jews here in Israel who for all intents and purposes are Jewish and practice a halachically Jewish lifestyle - only they believe that Yeshu was Messiah and all that other nonsense. I also have a good friend in the states who was a chrstian and then declared himself a Messianic Jew and joined a community without going through the proper conversion cycle and his community is more like Messianic Reform Jews.

merrie 19-09-2012 07:46 PM

I always heard the term, "Jews for Jesus". Going back to early Christian history, were not some of the first Christians baptised, Jews?

Merrie

michael55 19-09-2012 08:53 PM

A jew by blood and recent heritage who is christian.. that is my understanding.

jalini 19-09-2012 10:30 PM

Thank you Michael and Merrie :)

Very informative.

Would the Messanic Jew be viewed as as a fundamentalist?

If they believe Jesus was the Messiah and follow Judaism, would that be blending two religions and creating a third?

And if I understand, I, as a Christian can`t follow Jesus as my Messiah unless I have a Jewish bloodline?

Pardon my ignorance but I am trying to understand the faith.
Blessings, jalini

Morpheus 25-09-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalini
Thank you Michael and Merrie :)

Very informative.

Would the Messanic Jew be viewed as as a fundamentalist?

If they believe Jesus was the Messiah and follow Judaism, would that be blending two religions and creating a third?

And if I understand, I, as a Christian can`t follow Jesus as my Messiah unless I have a Jewish bloodline?

Pardon my ignorance but I am trying to understand the faith.
Blessings, jalini

Messianic Jews do not consider themselves a third religion. They consider themselves a, "completed", Jew since they believe they have recieved the Messiah, prophesied throughout the scriptures.

jalini 26-09-2012 08:01 PM

Ah, I think I see now. Jesus is their predicted Messiah but still practice Judaism and not Christianity as Christians practice it..

Thank you, blessings. jalini

Scattered Sheep 30-04-2013 11:12 PM

I am one who believes in Yahshua and follow His way, I do not know my Genealogy that well but know I am not Jewish. I do not practice Christianity because they do not properly imitate Yahshua. As most of you seem to know He was Torah observant. I study Torah every day and mean to practice as such. I know He taught Torah in His teachings, constantly. I hope you do not mind me commenting, anyway if you have any questions I know about Messianics and a little about Messianic Jews. Shalom to you all whom I highly respect.

Yamah 01-05-2013 04:02 AM

Scattered Sheep: just curious, have you studied the 7 Noahide Laws at all?

Morpheus 02-05-2013 10:18 AM

Apparently, Yeshua is connected with the sect and community known as the Essenes, spoken of by the archaeologists. Which sect separated themselves from the Pharisees and Sadducees mentioned in the NewTestament, involving what they saw as hypocracy.

It is from them that the Baptismal rituals originated, apparently?
They are connected with the Dead Sea Scrolls found at Qumran, which confirms much of the old testament writings we read today.

They are cited and discussed at Wikipedia. And, elsewhere.