Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Natural Remedies (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Saw Palmetto for Women... (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14497)

TheReason 18-04-2011 03:08 PM

Saw Palmetto for Women...

I have been taking Saw Palmetto Berries for almost 6 months now, and I originally started taking it for my acne. My acne has cleared up (not sure if that's the culprit or not), but I am still taking the Saw Palmetto berries. I have noticed a an increase in my breast size (a whole cup) and a slight weight gain in areas I didn't gain weight in before. I went through puberty a long time ago, so this is just odd. I have not changed anything in my eating or exercise routine either. I did quit the saw palmetto berries for a couple of weeks a while ago, but it made my hormones feel off and I did not feel good. So I'm back on them, but I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not...

Does anyone have suggestions or ideas on whether Saw Palmetto really is okay for women to take?

Roselove 18-04-2011 11:57 PM

the increase is prb bc it lowers androgens, i would look up side effects and try replacing it with pumpkin seeds or drinking peppermint tea once a week instead

TheReason 19-04-2011 04:46 AM

I have tried searching it quite a bit, and unless I'm missing something I didn't see anything that was significant on side affects. Although I am willing to take any advice, because I certainly don't want to be taking a supplement that could be harmful. I'm guessing the pumpkin seeds and peppermint tea will be an alternative in a way? Thanks

Roselove 19-04-2011 01:38 PM

yes you might have elevated dht/androgens which cause acne, pumpkin seeds and peppermint tea (dont' take this more then three times a week) avacados flax seeds etc all lower androgens but they arne't as strong as saw palmetto i think

Tiss 19-04-2011 02:02 PM

Dear TheReason,

From my personal experience, saw palmetto is used for men, and specially for prostate issues, including cancer as it significantly lowers/ supresses testosterone and by extention androgens.

Even though marketing campaigns promote its use in women, it should be taken with prudence.

It probably has caused some kind of hormone imbalance on you. Even saw palmetto comes from elements in the Nature, its effects can be as strong as of chemicals, and therefore it could cause a potential damage to your hormone system.

My suggestion for you is to avoid it, as keeping an hormone equilibrium is essential for your everyday life.

Love and Light,

TISS :hug:

TheReason 20-04-2011 04:55 AM

Thank you! I'm glad I asked - I knew you guys would know better than google. I have stopped taking it and will try the peppermint tea, and seeds.

Spiritlite 20-04-2011 05:03 AM

Interesting thread.
Spiritlite