Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Vegetarian & Vegan (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   When people try argue against veganism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=98860)

imawonderer 21-03-2016 10:58 PM

When people try argue against veganism

Hello,

Whenever i tell people I am vegan they always try to argue against it and they bring up really unreasonable things and i rather not discuss about it because they will have their opinion and i will have mine..

However i need help how to respond to this
when they say that plants are alive/feel too (and that there was studys done on that)
so how could i respond to that?

Rah nam 21-03-2016 11:19 PM

Just smile, and let it be. There is no need to argue at all.

Somnia 22-03-2016 06:10 AM

Usually the kind of responses you receive reflects the manner in which you express/present your viewpoints...

For example, if you're coming across as pushy that may stir up uncomfortable feelings within the other person which causes them to react in a defensive manner...However, if you're presenting your viewpoint in a neutral manner and have information to share without preaching to other people, you are more likely to receive positive or neutral feedback in return...

If you are not being preachy and still receive negative arguments that tells me something becomes stirred within the other person causing them to react defensively...That is their problem/issue to deal with and not yours...

As Rah nam stated, sometimes it's best to let things be. Say what you feel like you need to say then let it rest...

LPC 22-03-2016 08:00 AM

I agree with what has been written above. You can mention what your position is and why you adopted it, without being unduly pushy or preachy. There is no need to enter into arguments. If you discuss veganism with an acquaintance who just loves to argue (such people exist! :wink: ), then if you don't wish to argue you can just say, "You are entitled to your opinion, so am I. I'm not entering into an argument with you."

Regarding the issue of plants having feelings, I assume that you are referring to the work of Bose, Backster and others. There is a good summary here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_...8paranormal%29

The lack of proper controls in the experiments means that the tricky issue of whether plants can sense pain remains possible but very unlikely. I do not doubt that they do possess some form of awareness, perhaps full consciousness, but the ability to feel physical pain requires not just a nervous system (which they do have, albeit very different from humans/animals) but also a brain to sense pain signals. The question of whether plants have brains is discussed here: http://www.naturalhistorymag.com/fea...ts-have-brains

The lack of a brain in plants to sense pain is really the basis for a vegan diet. Perhaps the Universe is planned in such a way, so that plants are aware but do not feel physical pain.

mogenblue 22-03-2016 10:26 AM

I think you should focus on your attitude. I think the best attitude is one of love and compassion, to be with the other people instead of against them.
I you are both very occupied in an argument neither of you will get anywhere because you are both too obsessed with telling the other one what he/she is doing wrong.

Vegetarianism and veganism have benefits for personal health, animal well being and environmental sustainability.

I have learned that veganism is an inevitable aspect of the human being when they become more spiritually awakened. Spiritiual awakening means developing more and more love towards life of any other being, human, animal, plant, etcetera.

Personally I have noticed an improvement of my well being as a result of a plant based diet. Feeling better makes it easier to be more compassionate towards other people and other life in general.
I have to admit that when I started to feel these improvements I wanted to tell everybody else about it. It's kind of logical: if something good happens to you you want to share it with others. But others may think differently and you have to respect that.
I want others to respect my way of living too.

Don't force yourself into anything that doesn't fit you or that demands too much from you. Won't work.

sparkles 22-03-2016 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imawonderer

when they say that plants are alive/feel too (and that there was studys done on that)

Hey imawonderer, I think the difference is that animals have a central nervous system, so they do feel pain like we do. Plants don't have a central nervous system, so although you could argue that plants can suffer too, it's not in the way that we experience pain. Along the same lines, I have heard certain vegetarians say that for the same reason it is ok to eat oysters, because they don't have a central nervous system either, so they don't suffer like animals would. They are also an excellent source of vitamin B12. But I'm allergic to oysters so I haven't tried that. :rolleyes:

Interuniversalism 22-03-2016 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imawonderer
Hello,

Whenever i tell people I am vegan they always try to argue against it and they bring up really unreasonable things and i rather not discuss about it because they will have their opinion and i will have mine..

It is simple. You don't have to go into this disgution. They don't understand your reasoning so it is a waste of time. You don't have to defend your point of view. Just tell them that vegetables are healthier and you like them more. That you chose this style of living because you find it agree with your nature. They can go and search how it has been proven that it is healthier.

imawonderer 22-03-2016 01:39 PM

Thank you I appreciate for everyones suggestions and I dont really want to argue with others about it and try to avoid it but then some people like to push it and keep talking and talking about it even if i told them that they will have their own views and i will have my own

imawonderer 22-03-2016 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkles
Hey imawonderer, I think the difference is that animals have a central nervous system, so they do feel pain like we do. Plants don't have a central nervous system, so although you could argue that plants can suffer too, it's not in the way that we experience pain. Along the same lines, I have heard certain vegetarians say that for the same reason it is ok to eat oysters, because they don't have a central nervous system either, so they don't suffer like animals would. They are also an excellent source of vitamin B12. But I'm allergic to oysters so I haven't tried that. :rolleyes:

Oh okay thank you a lot i'll keep that in mind so I will know what to say next time ahah :biggrin:

SoulsInMotion 22-03-2016 01:57 PM

Native cultures often thank the plants they take from; I think I've even read that they can apologize - so obviously, they think that the plants have a capacity for suffering. Read about animism. The idea, whether you eat animals or plants, is that suffering or not, there is some kind of symbiotic relationship.

For example with plains indians such as Lakota, and the buffalo. Yes they hunted them, but only for what they needed to survive, and they made use of every part of those animals. At the same time, they protected the buffalo and saw them as sacred.