Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Spirituality (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Do you love your enemy? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=142464)

traceyacey12 28-12-2021 01:41 AM

Do you love your enemy?

I'm reading Thich Naht Hanh and he talks about loving your enemy. I'm having a hard time coming to terms with this. Do you love your enemy?

Bambo 28-12-2021 02:27 AM

Yes I try to..... God says we should be loving even if ppl arent being nice to us and I do try to be!!

RedEmbers 28-12-2021 02:30 AM

No but I understand them and that is enough for me.

I don't need to love my enemy, I just need to understand where my own empowerment is.

BigJohn 28-12-2021 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traceyacey12
I'm reading Thich Naht Hanh and he talks about loving your enemy. I'm having a hard time coming to terms with this. Do you love your enemy?

Our 'enemy', I suspect is at times, one of our best teachers.

To me, our 'enemy' is a reflection, in many ways, of the darkness that dwells within.

Madamedude 28-12-2021 10:57 AM

Yes. Enemies are one way to teach/remind you that love has no boundaries set, other than the ones we set for ourselves. In a lifetime you'll meet friends and foes, and you can do better than wonder if they are friend or foe. Someone that pushes your buttons is a blessing in disguise.

Also, loving your enemy, or anyone else, doesn't imply that you have to throw yourself at their feet, you can be loving of yourself at the same time and set boundaries!

sky 28-12-2021 11:04 AM

Quote:

'Love' in Buddhism is not as straightforward as we in the West interpret it to be... This may help you :smile:
https://teachingsofthebuddha.com/def...e-in-buddhism/

You can love their 'True Self' easier than loving their 'Actions' which have made them what you percieve as being 'Your Enemy'. :smile:

ameliorate 28-12-2021 11:51 AM

Whilst it may be hard to love an enemy, at least trying to dilute any hatred felt would be less toxic. Trying to understand motives and the bigger picture (e.g. their background, what may have led up to their behaviour/character) often helps. We are all at different stages of our emotional evolution. Compassion is the way forward.

Julius89 28-12-2021 11:59 AM

Greatest enemy of human is his own mind if it is not under control, become master of your mind and you will realise that there are no more enemies.

ayar415 28-12-2021 03:04 PM

QUOTE Post 1 EXCERPT:
Quote:

Obviously, Thich has enemies and so have you. I don't have enemies.

An enemy is a problem, a threat such as a disease. Loving your enemy is Thich's method for dealing with suffering.

Thich's is the way of a Buddhist monk. Mine is the Buddha's.

Miss Hepburn 28-12-2021 05:25 PM

Good question,Tracey.
Since love can manifest in many different ways...I will say, yes.

Of course, we have heart swelling romantic love or family love or pet love.
(Which is too often what people think of as ''loving our neighbor''.)

BUT, we, then, have love expressing itself as forgiveness, as compassion, patience, just listening, with service and charity, in a smile to a stranger or
to that neighbor that did us wrong....our so-called 'enemy'.

Any kindness is considered love..to me...and I can sense the angels singing in the Heavens when I, indeed, am kind
to someone I bump into that knows they did me wrong.
I have been hugged by people that hurt me terribly and were scared to see me...then, they saw me smile at them as if nothing happened!

Worth a million bucks...rather than hanging onto the bad feelings*...which
come from the ego...or as some say 'the devil'.

*All these feelings come from ego - pride, anger, indignation, vengeance,
hatred, spite, jealousy, greed...but simple kindness? From God Himself, my experience.