Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Tarot and Oracle Cards (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   Playing Cards (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=118052)

Middleagedseeker 31-10-2017 10:11 PM

Playing Cards

Does anyone use regular playing cards instead of Tarot cards? I'm interested in learning how to do this and was just wondering if anyone else was interested as well?

SaturninePluto 31-10-2017 10:33 PM

My grandmother used this method and could read with a regular playing deck, she explained a little of how it works to me, and I am very interested in learning how to do this myself, as you are.

Truth be told, it imo is like any tarot, you must practice, I think what holds people back is they may expect regular playing cards to be more difficult for interpretation than a deck you'd buy made for it. But, truth be told, I do not think it is any more difficult. It comes down to practice with both.

From what my grandmother told me with a playing deck sometimes the numbers which come up can have meaning, especially in a repeating pattern relating to time- that is one way in which the numbers could have meaning. When she read for me she had 3 number 3's come up. They were in very close relationship to the card in the center (Celtic Cross spread)
that indicated me the sitter- the card representing me the sitter came up diamonds- financial. So she ascertained the 3's were a sign of improving finances, she told me she felt 3 months money would come to me. She said it could take 3 days, weeks, months or 3 years, but she felt it was within a monthly time frame- 3 months later indeed, financial issues improved.

Male face cards- Jacks, kings- in a reading for a woman, could represent males- lovers, friends, family etc.

Female face cards- Queens- in a reading for a male could represent females- lovers, friends, family etc.

Hearts could pertain to relationships, emotions such things pertaining to hearts.

Diamonds could pertain to finances, property etc.

Clovers- we did not really get too much into- the only way to know how clovers or clubs would work for me is practice.

Spades- my grandmother saw spades as a powerful negative force in some circumstances- remember it depends on intuitions feelings, and how the cards come up- with practice you will learn what cards mean what to you and via intuition when they also mean different things.

That is the way I was taught, but I do not practice tarot often, and have not recently practiced often with regular playing cards. I would too like to figure how to read in this way, but will when I have time to practice it.

Keyword here is practice. It isn't any more difficult than store bought tarot cards because it is a deck of playing cards. Practice and patience and like anything else it can be learned.

Hope that helped a little.

Blessings.

Anne 01-11-2017 12:32 PM

Quite interesting and SaturninePluto has good info!
I'm sure there are many 'grandmothers' out there who read from a deck of 52 playing cards.
However tarot has 26 additional cards, if my math is correct lol. That would be the 22 major arcana plus 4 pages. I guess readings were accomplished without those additions. Intriguing for sure :-))

dream jo 01-11-2017 03:22 PM

yep i ahv dun
i no spasd hrts nevr go gud 2 gethr thy dnt
clubss dimnds seam niser of crds
u can get a book on thm u can

Middleagedseeker 01-11-2017 07:02 PM

Wow Saturninepluto that was great! Thanks for the information. I guess I just need to go ahead and give it a shot and practice a little at a time until I can get pretty good at it...... And you’re right about people thinking playing cards are more complicated than tarot cards, because I did and so did a friend of mine!:smile:

Curious1 02-11-2017 03:43 AM

A Tarot deck is 78 cards consisting of 22 major arcana and 56 minor arcana. A standard deck of playing cards is the minor arcana minus the knights. (52 cards, or, 54 cards if you use the jokers).