Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Health (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   HOw to start being healthy (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=120500)

blossomingsoull97 05-02-2018 06:26 PM

HOw to start being healthy

I really want to start eating right like ive cut out fizzy and meat from my diet but i still eat junk. I want to start exercising as well. It would be nice if you could share how you started this journey of eating right and exercising and what types of exercises you do or even ones you recommend. I just find it hard sometimes to stick to it.

Urfus 06-02-2018 08:49 PM

Blossomingsoul,

it's great that you decided to become healthy and want to improve your current eating habits and start exercising.

How to start?
That is very good, but also difficult question to answer as usually the advice you get should be somehow based on your body type, your current habits, way how you live, work, environment around you and so on.

Food
If I were you, I would start with cutting back the amount of junk food, not eliminate it completely but maybe do it in a way that during the working days you stop eating it and have it occassionally during the weekends.

Exercise
Do you have any passion for certain type of sport activity? Have you been involved with any sport in your past? If yes, what about awakening your tradition and start practising again?

Mental stuff
Don't forget to also focus on this area. Negative thoughts/emotions, stress, not enough rest and quality sleep, they all have impact on your health. Think of a way how to improve in this as well.

I am afraid special recipe is not possible to come up with, but you generally cannot spoil anything if you implement changes into your life gradually throughout the year, then you don't risk such a risk of "burnout/depression" that is common in those people who do extreme changes from the day 1 and then later on quickly revert to their previous state.

PoppyBlue 07-02-2018 12:43 PM

Congrats to you :)

I won't lie, it was very hard for me. I hate vegetables. So much that they make me gag. But when I hit 35 I knew it was time to stop eating like an 18 year old and pull up my big girl pants and find a way to do it. I knew I couldn't eat them. Salad dressing was even worse tasting than the veggies! So i bought a nutribullet. I added the fruits and veggies, blended them up, and prayed it would taste ok. Thankfully it didn't taste half bad :smile:

The hard part was detoxing off the bad stuff. I was seriously addicted to bread and sugar. Bread might as well be sugar since that's what it turns into in order for the body to process it. My poor brain craved them so much that it tried to talk me into getting one more soda or one more sandwich. Once I figured out that was happening, I could talk myself out it.

After a week and a half the cravings went away. My green drinks started tasting better too and I had more energy. Next I cut out cheese and I stopped cooking with milk and switched to almond milk.

So yes, its hard at first and while I did go gluten free, I still had small portions of chips to keep me away from sugary stuff while i detoxed. Now I don't really like chips anymore. they're too salty.

For exercise, I started off with walking. I read not to do anything strenuous while I detoxed and my body got used to the new diet. It said do a minimum of 30 minutes a day but no more than 60. I also started yoga.
After 30 days I started adding more cardio and free weights.
I would say do anything you consider fun and enjoyable because you'll want to do them. I had so much energy at one point I had to jog around my house. It was 117 degrees out so I couldn't go for my walk yet.

The big turning point for me was when I read about the cravings and how you'll "talk" your way into eating the junk again. I wish I could tell you it was easy. You will feel bad during detox, you will be tired, you might get headaches or even body aches. Your brain will do everything it can to make you feel miserable so you'll buy that can of soda or that candy bar or whatever. But if you can hold out for a week or 2, it will get so much better.

I am now completely dairy and gluten free. I avoid all grains for the most part with the exception of rice which I only eat occasionally. I cant eat much junk now because it makes me feel sick. Im ok with that :) I still walk my dog everyday but we also hike 2 to 3 times a week. Sometimes I swim or play Just Dance on the Wii with my kids. I still do yoga too.

Best of luck to you!

BlueSky 16-02-2018 05:24 PM

I would just add that whatever you do that you stick to it. That seems to make any plan work.
I also learned recently to stop saying I can't have this or that, and instead say that I choose not to have this or that.

Alice_1 25-02-2018 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blossomingsoull97
I really want to start eating right like ive cut out fizzy and meat from my diet but i still eat junk. I want to start exercising as well. It would be nice if you could share how you started this journey of eating right and exercising and what types of exercises you do or even ones you recommend. I just find it hard sometimes to stick to it.

Hi! You should first go to gym and be there like for an hour at first with a trainer or on a group exercising. This will help you to start working out.
After this your body will ask you to start to eat healthy food