Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Natural Remedies (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Codliver oil (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10790)

Bella 09-02-2011 04:00 AM

Codliver oil

When I was a kid I remember my dad always giving me a huge spoon of this very, very sweet tasting, thick brown liquid to me every day. I remember it being called codliver oil.
But when I've searched it up it states over and over how it doesn't have the kind of taste I recall at all, and tastes bad frankly. I remember my friend at the time tried to have some and she said it tasted horrible but my dad and me thought it tasted like candy pretty much.
I do remember though it having a very strong smell of something off but it still tastes so good, just very strong but still very sweet.
I'm confused ............. does anyone have any idea if it really is codliver oil I am remembering ? the photos show it being yellow colored and doesn't look thick at all. The texture of it was very thick & gooy ... lol
I'm really confused if it really is codliver oil. Isnt cod a type of fish cause I do remember reading in the ingredients something to do with fish.

psychoslice 09-02-2011 04:03 AM

The one that you were taking may have something added to it to make it sweet, for the reason that it does taste yuky.

Ravens_Light 09-02-2011 04:54 AM

Hi, Bella...

It could be because much of what is sold these days is rancid (and what you had was very fresh & high quality).

Also, I tend to feel that when the body REALLY NEEDS something (like the fatty acids in fish oil) it 'likes' the way it tastes, thus encouraging us in ingesting it.

I agree with psychoslice as well that there may have been something else added such as molasses (a guess) as it has a naturally strong flavor that would cover a lot of the fishy taste I think.

nightowl 09-02-2011 04:56 AM

Maybe what you took was Scott's Emulsion, it is cod liver oil with Vitamin A&D added. I remember having to take this stuff as well.
l:tongue:

nightowl

iolite 25-02-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella
When I was a kid I remember my dad always giving me a huge spoon of this very, very sweet tasting, thick brown liquid to me every day. I remember it being called codliver oil.
But when I've searched it up it states over and over how it doesn't have the kind of taste I recall at all, and tastes bad frankly. I remember my friend at the time tried to have some and she said it tasted horrible but my dad and me thought it tasted like candy pretty much.
I do remember though it having a very strong smell of something off but it still tastes so good, just very strong but still very sweet.
I'm confused ............. does anyone have any idea if it really is codliver oil I am remembering ? the photos show it being yellow colored and doesn't look thick at all. The texture of it was very thick & gooy ... lol
I'm really confused if it really is codliver oil. Isnt cod a type of fish cause I do remember reading in the ingredients something to do with fish.

Sounds like molasses, not cod liver oil. Black strap molasses is a good source of vitamins and minerals -- especially iron.

norseman 26-02-2011 02:48 PM

There was a brew long time back which was cod liver oil and molasses blended together. name escapes me now except to say it was revolting. Cod Liver oil on its own was almost colourless and had a vague fishy taste but not strongly.
Memory kicking in now - there was another brew that was halibut liver oil blended with orange concentrate - Haliborange - equally bad !

mac 26-02-2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norseman
There was a brew long time back which was cod liver oil and molasses blended together. name escapes me now except to say it was revolting. Cod Liver oil on its own was almost colourless and had a vague fishy taste but not strongly.
Memory kicking in now - there was another brew that was halibut liver oil blended with orange concentrate - Haliborange - equally bad !

"....was cod liver oil and molasses blended together" It was 'Virol' in the UK when I was a kid....

Remember Scotts Emulsion? White in a tall bottle - thick emulsion which was swallowed from a desert spoon to get a standard dose. I used to heave, feel like I was going to throw up, taking that stuff....

Ah the joys of 'the old days'. :D

ps Just noticed that nightowl has already mentioned Scotts - doh!

iolite 26-02-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac
"....was cod liver oil and molasses blended together" It was 'Virol' in the UK when I was a kid....

Remember Scotts Emulsion? White in a tall bottle - thick emulsion which was swallowed from a desert spoon to get a standard dose. I used to heave, feel like I was going to throw up, taking that stuff....

Ah the joys of 'the old days'. :D

ps Just noticed that nightowl has already mentioned Scotts - doh!

Now a days, you can take cod liver oil in gel caps or take the D3 and A separate (both in pills). I cannot imagine swallowing cod liver oil, the dog likes it though!

glenos 26-02-2011 08:08 PM

I'd say it was codliver oil and malt. You can still get it.

norseman 27-02-2011 11:16 AM

The one golden oldie "foodstuff" that I never understood was Marmite [Vegemite ?]. Hesu ! - that was bad. Vegemite probably explains why ozzies can live upside down without falling off and the taste of their beer ! :D