Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Science & Spirituality (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Why do most scientists hate spirituality? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27582)

Greg 18-12-2011 11:28 PM

Why do most scientists hate spirituality?

Is it because spirituality attempts to use science in it's attempts to describe the universe, and scientists get very defensive? I saw a programme today about an Astronomer who was giving a lecture on quantum physics. He called anyone who had a spiritual explanation on this as 'Mischievous Hippies' who spoke mumbo jumbo.
I often get very self conscious about my spiritual beliefs and am scared that I may be going against logic, going against the laws of the universe, but at the same time I can't ignore this innate spirituality I feel in me, It wont let me ignore it, no matter how much pain I feel.

midnightstar 18-12-2011 11:36 PM

It's maybe because they only think they understand everything? Just a guess :smile:

psychoslice 19-12-2011 12:05 AM

I never knew scientists hated spirituality, i thought it was the other way around.

hybrid 19-12-2011 12:13 AM

"Mischievous Hippies' who spoke mumbo jumbo." is quite an accurate description. lol

Etu Malku 19-12-2011 12:17 AM

I don't believe scientists have a hatred for spiritual things, they just accept any of it because there's no proof of any of it. They want to see ghosts and spirits too, but when they look . . . nothing's there!

Greg 19-12-2011 12:30 AM

Hybrid, why on earth are you on this site? You obvioulsy have no spirituality

Greg 19-12-2011 12:31 AM

I thought here of all places I'd get a bit more support, but obvioulsy not

ahmandah 19-12-2011 12:35 AM

I suppose if one was expecting support on broad generalizations, they may have been mistaken.

I, for one, love both, and would like to integrate spirituality with my medical career.

Mayflow 19-12-2011 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg
Is it because spirituality attempts to use science in it's attempts to describe the universe, and scientists get very defensive? I saw a programme today about an Astronomer who was giving a lecture on quantum physics. He called anyone who had a spiritual explanation on this as 'Mischievous Hippies' who spoke mumbo jumbo.
I often get very self conscious about my spiritual beliefs and am scared that I may be going against logic, going against the laws of the universe, but at the same time I can't ignore this innate spirituality I feel in me, It wont let me ignore it, no matter how much pain I feel.

I really don't think that most scientists hate Spirituality.

Uma 19-12-2011 01:29 AM

Greg,

Western science is Cartesian - meaning it's based on empirical evidence, meaning what is in the physical world, what can be tested in the physical world, moreover what tests are repeatable or can be reproduced in a laboratory by anyone if they follow logical steps.

The spiritual world/phenomena exists "inter-dimensionally". Actually quantum psychics is getting very close to it. All is energy, they've already agreed, but this energy comes from somewhere and returns to somewhere...they're not quite sure what to call this source or zero point field, but it is Consciousness. Science and mysticism will meet at the same place eventually. But it takes a while for the accepted realities of quantum psychics (which is based on really complicated math) to trickle down into all the other sciences (some sciences are more ahead of the others).

The ancients mapped out a science of the spiritual realities - for example the Chinese and the whole acupuncture system or the Rishis of ancient India and the science of Kundalini and the chakras.

But to know about spirituality, you need to become a scientist of the inner world and the laboratory is your own being. Some scientists are more open minded to this and they are making great discoveries. Here is an example: http://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_...ght.htm lThis "Ted talks" sight is part of mainstream university studies. But it takes a while for all the buzz in scientific communities to trickle down into laymen's terms and popular culture, changing society and politics and all that...and eventually into elementary schools.

Wouldn't it be nice to learn about your spiritual anatomy in your first physical anatomy class? That's why I love this book: http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Mind-Bod.../dp/185675247X - it's very visual and simple for any child to read.

Ironically the ones who are most close minded to spiritual realities are religious fanatics.

No two people define "spirituality" the same way. If you do a search on this forum you will find that it sparks a huge debate. I think it's because a lot of people confuse the spiritual practice with spiritual experience.

Scientists don't "hate" "spirituality" - that's too general a statement. But careers are made based on politics - to do with tenure and who funds the research and who benefits by it - so a lot of so called science is tied into that. The brave ones come out of the closet with their findings, the ones that upset the Cartesian illusions. And this is becoming more common because we are in an age of enlightenment not "Enlightenment" which is associated with empirical science...meaning...more synchronicities, more telepathy, more premonitions...are becoming more common. Ordinary people are having extraordinary spiritual experiences so life itself is shaking up western science and the status quo.

And in China, cancer has been treated for the last 50 years using a combination of traditional Chinese medicine and western medicine. But in North America, it's slow to be so progressive.

Anyway enough food for thought. What do you think?