Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Christianity (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Want to become a Christian but... (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133574)

Persnickety 23-01-2020 10:06 PM

Want to become a Christian but...

Long story cut very short, I feel I need a higher power in my life, Christianity seems a good bet for a number of reasons but I'm struggling to mentally buy into the supernatural. I'm not convinced by any of the apologetic arguments for God and I haven't had an identifiable, subjective experience of God. How do I do this?

inavalan 23-01-2020 10:27 PM

Christianity is a faith. You don't adhere to it "mentally". Your post suggests that you aren't ready. Surely, you can find good people willing to help you, but that might not be what you need, at this stage of your life.

ThatMan 23-01-2020 10:28 PM

Meditate and see if there's any answer to you, expect nothing but put in the back of your head what you want to achieve and leave these thoughts there, this is my humble advice, I followed the same path.

It's all about Christ and becoming Christ-like.

Morpheus 23-01-2020 11:01 PM

You sound like a decent individual.
Well, what many people have a hard time receiving it, Salvation is the main point. And the need for it regarding sin.

Inherited sin, after much study, I've found, involves this "evolved", animal/mammal condition in which we find ourselves, in contrast to our original and actual situation which is non apparent.
Namely the Spirit, and angelic.

Sin is more and other than just an act.
Humanity is a sinful and fallen situation, though you'll have those who'll tell you otherwise.
God provided the answer for restitution, and peace with Him. An assurance of Heaven.

janielee 24-01-2020 04:49 AM

I never forced myself to believe anything I wasn’t ready for, but agreeing with poster above that sincerity, intention, a spiritual practice, goodness can help uncover what you seek perhaps. I don’t know, just some thoughts,

Jl

Persnickety 24-01-2020 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inavalan
Christianity is a faith. You don't adhere to it "mentally". Your post suggests that you aren't ready. Surely, you can find good people willing to help you, but that might not be what you need, at this stage of your life.

This isn't what the vast majority of Christians I've come across say. They would criticise what you're describing as blind faith. I don't know if I can do blind faith or that I'd even want it. Unfortunately there aren't that many people I can go to about this. All of the churches in my area are pretty much dormant and no one sees to have time for counselling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatMan
Meditate and see if there's any answer to you, expect nothing but put in the back of your head what you want to achieve and leave these thoughts there, this is my humble advice, I followed the same path.

It's all about Christ and becoming Christ-like.

I've tried meditation but I have trouble visualising or conceptualising God, Jesus, Heaven, the Holy Spirit.etc I just don't even know where to start.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpheus
You sound like a decent individual.
Well, what many people have a hard time receiving it, Salvation is the main point. And the need for it regarding sin.

Inherited sin, after much study, I've found, involves this "evolved", animal/mammal condition in which we find ourselves, in contrast to our original and actual situation which is non apparent.
Namely the Spirit, and angelic.

Sin is more and other than just an act.
Humanity is a sinful and fallen situation, though you'll have those who'll tell you otherwise.
God provided the answer for restitution, and peace with Him. An assurance of Heaven.

Thanks, I'm in need of practical advice though. I understand what Christians say about the important of salvation and the burden of sin but that knowledge doesn't get me to God, it only gets me to wanting to know God and so far that's as far as I've got.

Quote:

Originally Posted by janielee
I never forced myself to believe anything I wasn’t ready for, but agreeing with poster above that sincerity, intention, a spiritual practice, goodness can help uncover what you seek perhaps. I don’t know, just some thoughts,

Jl

I recognise that I have some mental blocks that may be holding me back but I'm very sincere. I do all the things that Christians advise like prayer and asking to be saved but nothing happens.

Morpheus 24-01-2020 04:51 PM

[quote=Persnickety]This isn't what the vast majority of Christians I've come across say. They would criticise what you're describing as blind faith. I don't know if I can do blind faith or that I'd even want it. Unfortunately there aren't that many people I can go to about this. All of the churches in my area are pretty much dormant and no one sees to have time for counselling.

This is a sad thing today.
Meanwhile, salvation is something that has happened.

Saved means"rescued" as by Another.
Grace means, "unmerited favor".
What? Are you waiting to be perfect, or in perfect union with God?
Starts with faith, and being the grateful recipient of what He's done for you.

No one is perfect, except God Himself.

Quote:

I recognise that I have some mental blocks that may be holding me back but I'm very sincere. I do all the things that Christians advise like prayer and asking to be saved but nothing happens.

What you are saying is your perception is that nothing is happening.
Ridiculous.

davidmartin 25-01-2020 02:06 AM

Morpheus is wrong about Grace being unmerited favour, that's just fairly tail stuff of this world

Just find God your own way
Dont worry about people going on about beliefs
My advice - listen to worship music eg hillsong etc but remember keep an open mind as to what is going on

white pegasus 25-01-2020 06:29 AM

Per

I resonated with your post so very much. I remember a time in my past where I had the same thoughts and feelings.And here is what I did to learn about God-to have a relationship with God.

Google this: Bible Study Fellowship

This is where I began my journey to find god.

It is a Bible Study that is non-denomination-meaning-just that-we do not discuss our personal religions-but we study the Bible.

It is an international Bible Study. Please know this is not an occult.

2 more things for you to consider

1.. God will find you in your journey to find Him

2. read Jerimiah 29 verse 11..............this is where my journey began.

sky 25-01-2020 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Persnickety
Long story cut very short, I feel I need a higher power in my life, Christianity seems a good bet for a number of reasons but I'm struggling to mentally buy into the supernatural. I'm not convinced by any of the apologetic arguments for God and I haven't had an identifiable, subjective experience of God. How do I do this?

When the time is right it will happen.

' When the time is right I the Lord will make it happen '. :smile: