Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Vegetarian & Vegan (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Coconut milk in baking (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=102045)

row37 06-06-2016 06:13 PM

Coconut milk in baking

I've been craving cornbread, so to make it simple (so far, all of my made from scratch cornbread has been inedible) I went and bought some Krusteaz Southern Cornbread & Muffin Mix. Not exactly an awe inspiring name for Southern cornbread, as I was hoping for something like Dixie, same as my sugar, but this is what Publix had.

The recipe called for 1 1/3 cup of milk, but since we're cruelty free eaters, no animal products. I substituted about 3/4 of a cup of coconut milk and the rest was vanilla flavored almond milk. The vegetable oil was replaced w/ extra virgin olive oil, and I added some sugar, pepper, and a liberal amount of Louisiana hot sauce. Put it in an oiled 8x8 pan and baked it at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, then took it out for the toothpick test. It sure LOOKED like cornbread, but after cooling down, it was tasting time.

Wow, this is some of the best cornbread I have ever eaten, and I'm from Mississippi and lived a long time in New Orleans. Next time it gets just a little more sugar, but the coconut milk and olive oil worked perfectly. Amazing. I remember reading somewhere that coconut milk was good for baking. They were right.

Serenity 11-06-2016 10:36 PM

I've used coconut milk in my cooking and baking for a long time, I'm glad you tried it and like it too.:smile:

Adrienne 11-06-2016 11:32 PM

Louisiana hot sauce and coconut milk in cornbread together ? :icon_eek: I will just take your word for it, that it was some of the best you have tasted ! :smile:

I love cornbread, but I make it using the recipe on the Yellow corn meal container, adding slightly more oil so it isn't so crumbly. And ..... no Louisiana hot sauce, lol !

willicor 05-07-2016 02:04 PM

i dont use it

row37 09-07-2016 06:05 PM

Louisiana hot sauce is a secret ingredient in lots of things I cook, especially greens. No complaints in over 50 years :}

I guess you'd just have to have lived in Louisiana to know about this. It's not hot like Mexican hot sauce, just gives a "bite" to things that is noticed on the back of the mouth. It's a MUST in red beans and rice, gumbo, butter beans (mixed w/ rice, greens and cornbread...mmmmmm), and even a drop or two in some mixed drinks. There's lots of other hot sauces out there, but this one and Crystal are the best, and both are authentic Louisiana hot sauces that are mild and flavorful at the same time. Never buy a hot sauce from Nu Yawk City! They just don't know. Go down to New Orleans sometime and you will eat the best food on the planet. My cooking is nowhere near in that league, but I learned a little down there.

cdoliveira 19-08-2016 02:19 AM

I love coconut milk, I am originally from Brazil and it is really commom for us.
It is really yummyy, I put it pretty much everywhere hahaahahaha

Burntfruit 20-08-2016 05:16 PM

I made a cup of tea with almond/coconut milk, and it had delicious coconut flavour. Was really good.

dianeflores 26-03-2018 06:15 AM

I never used it.