Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Health (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Bad Posture - Neck and Chest Pain (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16781)

Volt 31-05-2011 06:22 AM

Bad Posture - Neck and Chest Pain

I have very bad posture when sitting. I am often hunched over without really thinking about it. I also tend to lay on my left side with my left arm propping me up and my head right against my shoulder (sort of hard to explain), though not as often as before. Sleeping on my left side is the most comfortable usually, with my left arm up under my pillow. While drawing or concentrating, I noticed my neck becomes very tense.

Here's what happened recently. I started having pain on the left side and back of my neck, and then headaches. I assumed it was due to tension, so I tried relaxing more throughout the day, and changed my pillow. My friend's mom also gave me some smelly stuff to put on it, which helped as well. The neck pain went away, but now I have this odd chest pain. It's like right above my left breast, almost going into the armpit. It happens only while sitting or lying on my left side. The pains disappear when I consciously sit up straight. There's a muscle right there, so I wonder if it's tensed up and hurting because of my slouching.

Anyone got any tips for helping that muscle, and to improve my posture?

ravenstar 01-06-2011 10:32 PM

Hi Volt,

When it comes to pain on the left side, especially in the breast area, I wouldn't fool around with this. I highly recommend going to see the doctor to rule out any other problems. Below is some info on the muscles in the neck and shoulder areas....BUT please check your pain out!

The two muscles I know of in the neck and shoulder region are call the sternomastoid and Trapezius. If you google these you'll get pics to understand them better. The most vulnerable neck muscle is the trapezius. It runs from the base of the skull down the back of the neck where it fans out to the should blades and spine. Slumping or carrying your head too far forward strains this muslce. Working at a desk or computer can cause problems for the trapezius too. I'm not sure if you're male or female but high heels tend to push the legs forward and pushing the buttocks back. To compensate for this the chest, neck and head have to tilt forward.

Another major pain in the neck muscle is the sternomastoid. To find it, turn your head toward your shoulder and run your hand along the protruding muslce that extends from the base of the skull just below the ear down the front of the neck to your collarbone. This muscle supports the neck to the side and front.....the trapezius controls front to back.

You could try pressure point massage....with your middle fingers, find the bumps at the base of your skull just below your ears. Press your fingers on the sternomastoid as it connects to these bumps. Press firmly for 5 to 10 seconds, then release and repeat.

For the trapezius, clap your hands behind your neck and need this muscle with the heels of your palms.

You could try side stretches for neck too.....with shoulders relaxed, tilt your head so your left ear reaches upward to your shoulder.....feel the stretch....repeat on the right side.

Turn your head slowly and look over your left shoulder....feel the stretch.....these are excellent to do when you've just gotten out the shower.

And please again, see a doctor for that pain.

:)

Volt 02-06-2011 03:37 AM

Hie ravenstar :3
Thanks for the tips ^^ I'll remember them if I ever get neck pain again. I actually took a hot shower and quit laying in stupid positions and my pain went away! After all that I'm more conscious of how I'm laying and sitting and stuff, and I'm getting a bike to ride for exercise (though I guess that part's not really related) :D

Gem 02-06-2011 04:12 AM

I guess you would have to remain vigilant and if you catch yourself in bad posture, don't rectify it immediately, examine it carefully feeling it for a few moments, then straighten yourself.

When you sit, when you walk.