Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Science & Spirituality (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Bank of America study: We are inside the matrix (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105829)

TarunP 20-09-2016 12:29 PM

Bank of America study: We are inside the matrix

BANK OF AMERICA: There's a 20%-50% chance we're inside the matrix and reality is just a simulation.

http://www.businessinsider.com/bank-...ix-2016-9?IR=T

In a note to clients out Tuesday, Bank of America Merrill Lynch said there's a 20%-50% chance that we're living in the matrix — meaning that the world we experience as "real" is actually just a simulation.

I wonder if they are afraid of losing all their money :biggrin:

Kontufuto 20-09-2016 10:54 PM

hehe

At least 20-50% of their money!!

intj123 21-09-2016 01:32 AM

Why would they be afraid? They make money out of thin air. Money is transitioning to something purely intangible, just digital figures in their database.

I highly doubt the whole computer simulation theory.
That's a narrow minded view to be honest.
That would mean reality is logical, but reality is not exactly logical, only the reality they know, the physical material reality.

Kontufuto 23-09-2016 06:20 AM

Food for thought....as extracted from the following Scientific American paper: http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...er-simulation/

"Moderator Neil deGrasse Tyson, director of the museum’s Hayden Planetarium, put the odds at 50-50 that our entire existence is a program on someone else’s hard drive. “I think the likelihood may be very high,” he said. He noted the gap between human and chimpanzee intelligence, despite the fact that we share more than 98 percent of our DNA. Somewhere out there could be a being whose intelligence is that much greater than our own. “We would be drooling, blithering idiots in their presence,” he said. “If that’s the case, it is easy for me to imagine that everything in our lives is just a creation of some other entity for their entertainment.”

loamm122 26-09-2016 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intj123
Why would they be afraid? They make money out of thin air. Money is transitioning to something purely intangible, just digital figures in their database.

That would mean reality is logical, but reality is not exactly logical, only the reality they know, the physical material reality.

Not all computations are logical (i.e quantum computing).
The universe does behave exactly like a program - a dynamical system.
That does not mean it is, a simulation... but it would make a lot of sense.
It is absolutely not pseudoscience... just far-fetched, considering how little we still know.

intj123 26-09-2016 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loamm122
Not all computations are logical (i.e quantum computing).
The universe does behave exactly like a program - a dynamical system.
That does not mean it is, a simulation... but it would make a lot of sense.
It is absolutely not pseudoscience... just far-fetched, considering how little we still know.

We can only account for 4% of the energy in the universe. It's quite arrogant to believe we know anything about the workings of the universe.

Dark Matter and Dark Energy composes the vast majority of the energy of the universe and we have no clue what it is or even how to detect it. Whoever figures this out will win the nobel peace prize.

Like I said, they are just looking at 4% of the physical visible reality that actually reacts to electromagnetic energy.

Science is cool and all, but they will never be able to play GOD.

Gem 27-09-2016 12:44 AM

Quote:

Sure. I think the computer simulation theory is a philosophical construct within the digital information culture of out times, but the essence of of it, binary code, also reflects more ancient Taoist notions of duality. In short, the 'simulation' theory is a way of representing a disparity between the experience and the real.

For the philosophy buffs, this is a good talk. Slavoj Zizek: "the reality of the virtual" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuG8ElyirC0

7luminaries 27-09-2016 01:59 AM

Quote:

We can only account for 4% of the energy in the universe. It's quite arrogant to believe we know anything about the workings of the universe.

Dark Matter and Dark Energy composes the vast majority of the energy of the universe and we have no clue what it is or even how to detect it. Whoever figures this out will win the nobel peace prize.

Like I said, they are just looking at 4% of the physical visible reality that actually reacts to electromagnetic energy.

Science is cool and all, but they will never be able to play GOD.

Scientists won't actually ever be able to apprehend dark energy and the dark matter associated with it, regardless of how they may ultimately measure or describe it. They won't ever divine "its" true nature unless they approach it with the "blind" sight of the mystical heart.:wink:

Peace & blessing :hug3:
7L

intj123 27-09-2016 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7luminaries
Scientists won't actually ever be able to apprehend dark energy and the dark matter associated with it, regardless of how they may ultimately measure or describe it. They won't ever divine "its" true nature unless they approach it with the "blind" sight of the mystical heart.:wink:

7L

Agreed. :D

And for those who are inclined to support this notion. Maybe you should consider that 20%-50%, the odds are actually in favor of the theory being wrong. I'm willing to admit that this could explain a tiny portion of the workings of reality, but it is by no means defining reality as a whole.

Kontufuto 01-10-2016 03:31 AM

IMHO I strongly disagree with you 7luminaries. What you say makes absolutely no sense. To diss a profession who spends their life on facts and analysis and then to shovel it off is extremely careless and naive. To say that scientists won't ever figure it out is rather an extreme supposition on your part wouldn't you say? "Ever" is infinity. Though 50% is not 0% I trust their analysis over yours. I think you should apologize to the scientific community for your statement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7luminaries

7L