Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   General (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Nervous System Regulation (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=134058)

AlwaysHome 27-02-2020 10:00 PM

Nervous System Regulation

Hello all, I'm going through a really difficult time (divorce). I've always been a pretty happy and balanced person, but this has thrown me off big time and I'm experiencing a lot of nervous system stuff that is making it very difficult to address the difficult stuff I'm facing. I feel like I'm stuck in fight or flight for much of my days. I do meditate and do yoga, and remind myself I'm safe, loved, worthy, do box breathing etc - I'm wondering what I might be missing. Are there any basic ways of thinking that might help me? Things to focus on? Is this even normal? I've made an appointment to see a somatic healing person next week but I'd sure like to start moving out of this before then!

ant 27-02-2020 10:58 PM

Hi AlwaysHome,

Commiserations in regards at this difficult time,and being unsettling,i'd assume a lot of fear is surfacing.

Look at what is surfacing and question why for example,that whatever arises,creates fear etc and where it originates from.

Deal with whatever arises and just sit and breathe into your stomach and or where ever you feel that emotion arise.

Just sit with it and ride it out,no distractions or going off doing something else or consuming to distract.

Practice also just by doing nothing.

It can be as simple as just sitting in a lounge chair and looking out onto your garden.

Practice doing nothing.

Tame the mind by doing nothing.

A book recommendation that helped me:Emotional Clearing-An East/West guide to releasing negative feelings and awakening unconditional happiness by John Ruskan.

Good luck and best wishes,i lived in flight fright mode for years,so i do commiserate.

Take care.

Ps.I'd imagine your feeling over whelmed by the divorce,hence the flight and fright mode at times.

One bridge down and now new beginnings can be seen as frightful.

But that is only what the mind thinks,you are not your mind.

Be in control,the mind heals.

Look at this divorce as a beginning to an exciting new adventure.

Think and stay with positive thoughts.

Look at this bright new path that lays ahead.

Your only limitations are from your mind.

Elfin 14-03-2020 09:54 AM

Hi darling , been there , done it, worn the tee-shirt. It's not easy, I won't lie. In fact it was one of the worst times in my life in every sense, physically , emotionally, financially. I was at rock bottom, couldn't have gone any lower. Yet I had to carry on . I had 3 little boys that needed caring for. All I can advise is that you don't live in fear, because that is worse than anything. I wish I had known this at the time, but you must only live in each day. each day do only what you can, and forget tomorrow, that will come and you will do the same again. It's called "living in daytight compartments"... Look it up. In the meantime I wish you well, and always know that dark days don't last forever.

Shivani Devi 03-04-2020 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlwaysHome
Hello all, I'm going through a really difficult time (divorce). I've always been a pretty happy and balanced person, but this has thrown me off big time and I'm experiencing a lot of nervous system stuff that is making it very difficult to address the difficult stuff I'm facing. I feel like I'm stuck in fight or flight for much of my days. I do meditate and do yoga, and remind myself I'm safe, loved, worthy, do box breathing etc - I'm wondering what I might be missing. Are there any basic ways of thinking that might help me? Things to focus on? Is this even normal? I've made an appointment to see a somatic healing person next week but I'd sure like to start moving out of this before then!

I am sorry to hear that.

Nervous system regulation is a long and complex process and I am going through it myself...but it takes a LOT of lifestyle changes...some that I am reluctant to adopt, yet I realise that unless I do, there won't be any progress or improvements made whatsoever, so this can be a very trying time.

It necessitates overhauling the whole adrenal system to stop it from producing excess levels of cortisol due to fatigue from overuse.

First off, is to avoid all stimulants including coffee, tea and refined sugars...or anything sweet at all, really.

The second is to include adaptogenic compounds regularly like Ashwaghanda, Rhodiola, Ginseng, Licorice Root, Holy Basil and Reishi Mushroom.

Next is to ground yourself by doing more physical exercise which brings out a sweat for one hour 3-4 times a week and doing things like having cold showers and spending more time out in nature without shoes on which insulates your nervous system from healing planetary energies.

Techniques such as EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) can help as well as kinesiology and EFT (tapping) although the latter doesn't work for me personally, but others swear by it.

Substitute meditation for external mindfulness practices... anything that can bring your awareness into the present moment outside of yourself instead of turning inward where wayward thoughts like to roam free.

Take supplements of Potassium, Magnesium, Vitamin B6, Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K.

Keep well hydrated and have a set routine for sleeping, waking and eating.

All of these things can be a HUGE ask...the times I adhere to the practices are the times when I can find some peace and relief from my generalised dystonia...the times I do not (which is often because my ego resists any attempts to control it) all hell breaks loose with PNES (seizures)...it is a very fine line.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LPMbHaTwzmk