Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Hinduism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Abide As The Self - Ramana Maharishi (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=118068)

Shivani Devi 01-11-2017 07:46 AM

Abide As The Self - Ramana Maharishi

Namaste.

During recuperation (ongoing) from psychosomatic illness, in which knowing I am not the body made no difference to the amount of pain it afflicted me with, I became interested in studying the works of the sage from Arunachala.

There weren't many verbal/written teachings to study, as Ramana Maharishi spoke very little (if at all) as he was a 'silent guru' however, I was still on the lookout for where Monism (Advaita) and Bhakti could meet and hold hands in relative peace.

I found a documentary hosted by Ram Dass, which was very slow to start with and it took me a few attempts before I was able to muster enough concentration and interest to sit through the whole thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSNEib2RDl8

What I got from that, was there is no difference between Bhakti and Advaita, as both methods of inquiry stem from/reside in the heart - the heart of all things...of all matter...of the universe itself.

Ramana Maharishi doesn't produce any real feelings of recognition or devotion within me...and if he even felt any pain from the sarcinoma on his left arm, he didn't make it known, which puts my illness into a much irrelevant light by comparison.

I would have loved to be a 'fly on the wall' though when Swami Yogananda met Ramana Maharishi.

So, this thread is to discuss the teachings/works of Sri Ramana Maharishi.

Aruna Shiva Om.

blossomingtree 01-11-2017 05:41 PM

Hi Shivani Devi

I am not well learned on Ramana Maharishi, but have a lot of respect for his teachings.

Here are some of his wonderful words:

Your own Self-realization is the greatest service you can render the world.

No one succeeds without effort... Those who succeed owe their success to perseverance.

The degree of freedom from unwanted thoughts and the degree of concentration on a single thought are the measures to gauge spiritual progress.

BT

blossomingtree 01-11-2017 05:53 PM

Every living being longs always to be happy, untainted by sorrow; and everyone has the greatest love for himself, which is solely due to the fact that happiness is his real nature. Hence, in order to realize that inherent and untainted happiness, which indeed he daily experiences when the mind is subdued in deep sleep, it is essential that he should know himself. For obtaining such knowledge the inquiry ‘Who am I?’ in quest of the Self is the best means.

jonesboy 01-11-2017 06:31 PM

I think you should look into how his leg was beaten by a bat as well as how he handled throat cancer.

Miss Hepburn 01-11-2017 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Namaste.
So, this thread is to discuss the teachings/works of Sri Ramana Maharshi.
Aruna Shiva Om.

It is? :smile: goody...just in my visual range at this moment I see, 'Talks With Ramana Maharshi" and
" The Essential Teachings of Ramana Maharshi - A Visual Journey".

"Make no effort either to work or to give up work;
your very effort is the bondage."

I corrected your spelling of Maharshi, btw. Maharishi is more common, so I get it.

Miss Hepburn 01-11-2017 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blossomingtree
Your own Self-realization is the greatest service you can render the world.

No one succeeds without effort... Those who succeed owe their success to perseverance.

The degree of freedom from unwanted thoughts and the degree of
concentration on a single thought are the measures to gauge spiritual progress.

Oh my .... yes, a life could be built on these 3.

Shivani Devi 02-11-2017 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonesboy
I think you should look into how his leg was beaten by a bat as well as how he handled throat cancer.

Thank you, Tom and thanks to all who have responded in this thread. Some very nice quotes indeed!

A year ago, I was diagnosed with what the medical profession calls "Conversion Disorder" and basically, the main treatment for it is called "Distraction Therapy".

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20355197

It is very difficult to distract oneself when they go blind/deaf at the drop of a hat or collapse into a pile on the floor due to limb paralysis....it's like having a stroke without having a stroke and it's difficult to just ignore something that's so downright annoying (if anything else).

They say it was brought on by my childhood trauma...maybe it was bought on by a premature kundalini awakening...who knows how this started.

Often there is also associated neural/nerve pain, jaw pain, migraines, chest and throat pain, difficulty breathing and swallowing and my whole autonomic nervous system completely shuts down...problem is of course, all the doctors tell me that the more I focus on it, the worse the symptoms will get, when it is debilitating enough already.

So all I can do is pray for Grace...a Divine intervention and intercession here...which, of course, is still focusing on the disease...it's a 'catch 22' whichever way I go.

So, to bring this back to Ramana Maharishi - and I apologise for my typographical error (that was not done intentionally) as I am still not really 100% fully cognitively functional. I never used to make mistakes in spelling or grammar...or anything else for that matter...and now I am making heaps of them which is also frustrating and annoying the hell out of me...it's like I have to see, think, act through a foggy haze all the time.

Anyway...here is Osho's take on it:
http://life-after-joining-ishayoga.b...rience-of.html

Here is a comparison between Ramana Maharishi and Ramakrishna Paramahansa in regards to experience and pain:
https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-comp...amana-Maharshi

This is a lesson for me, but I am having a very difficult time learning it because it's hard for me to ignore my symptoms when I shouldn't be ignoring them, but dealing with them without focusing on them...get it?

Om Namah Shivay

blossomingtree 02-11-2017 03:32 AM

Blessings and good health to you, Shivani Devi .

sky 02-11-2017 03:03 PM

Q..For twenty five years I have been doing spiritual disciplines, mostly repeating the name of Krishna. Until now I was managing fifty thousand repetitions a day. Now my mind refuses to engage itself in thought of God. What has happened to me and what should I do?

How did you come here from Madras?

By train.

And then what happened when you got to the station at Tiruvannamalai?

Well, I got off the train, handed my tickets and engaged a bullock cart to take me to the ashram.

And when you reached the ashram and paid off the driver of the cart what happened to the cart?

It went away, presumably back to the town.

The train brought you to your destination. You got off and didn't need it any more. It had brought you to the place you wanted to reach. Likewise the bullock cart. You got off when it had brought you to Sri Ramanasramam. You don't need the train or the cart anymore. They were the means for bringing you here. Now you are here, they are of no use to you.

This is what happened to your spiritual practice – your japa, your reading and your meditation have brought you to your spiritual destination. You don't need them anymore. You yourself did not give up your practices; they left you of their own accord because they have served their purpose. You have arrived.

I love this teaching. You have arrived, you are where you are surposed to be.

Omsatchitananda547 04-11-2017 07:44 PM

ha ha.. thank you so much for starting this thread.

my understanding,

To reach the ultimate one.
You need to connect,

and to see how??
complete concentration on what is that, which is connecting you to the source.

Focus - connect - done. you are One now. :D

practically it is really really difficult to achieve this, not everyone is fortunate enough to be born with extremely pure qualities.

Gyan me if my perception needs another eye.

sky 05-11-2017 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omsatchitananda547
ha ha.. thank you so much for starting this thread.

my understanding,

To reach the ultimate one.

You need to connect,

and to see how??
complete concentration on what is that, which is connecting you to the source.

Focus - connect - done. you are One now. :D

practically it is really really difficult to achieve this, not everyone is fortunate enough to be born with extremely pure qualities.

Gyan me if my perception needs another eye.

I see it from another angle, you can disconnect from the idea you are not already one with the ultimate...

Omsatchitananda547 05-11-2017 10:52 AM

@sky123

I think what you said is "the last understanding".

Once you have realised you are one with ultimate, there is nothing left to Qn, explore or breathe.

But if someone has just learnt message but not realised then there come different ways.

Bhakti & Dhyaan yoga.

via this, your belief turns into experience then realisation.

To understand what lies beyond the human body you need to avoid distractions caused by the body, for that you need to concentrate on one thing which will dissolve other distractions.

Learned people have to guide me if the above is true to help us go beyond the human body suffering.

sky 05-11-2017 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omsatchitananda547
@sky123

I think what you said is "the last understanding".

Once you have realised you are one with ultimate, there is nothing left to Qn, explore or breathe.

But if someone has just learnt message but not realised then there come different ways.
Bhakti & Dhyaan yoga.

via this, your belief turns into experience then realisation.

To understand what lies beyond the human body you need to avoid distractions caused by the body, for that you need to concentrate on one thing which will dissolve other distractions.

Learned people have to guide me if the above is true to help us go beyond the human body suffering.

Yes some may need a teacher to guide them but again this idea will hold you back because you are relying on others when the answers are within not without... but each to their own :smile:

You call it the ' last understanding ' why is it not the first ??

django 06-11-2017 10:49 AM

Ramana himself said he had no guru. He only ever looked within in meditation.

sky 06-11-2017 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by django
Ramana himself said he had no guru. He only ever looked within in meditation.

He was a wise man :smile: Buddha also tried various Guru's but realised it's all within... and he went alone and reached enlightenment.

jonesboy 06-11-2017 06:32 PM

Ramana Maharshi wasn't against an external guru :)

D. How can I obtain Grace?

M. Grace is the Self. That also is not to be acquired: you only need to know that it exists.

The sun is brightness only. It does not see darkness. Yet you speak of darkness fleeing on the sun’s approach. So also the devotee’s ignorance, like the phantom of darkness vanishes at the look of the Guru. You are surrounded by sunlight; yet if you would see the sun, you must turn in its direction and look at it. So also Grace is found by the proper approach you make, though it is here and now.

D. Cannot Grace hasten ripeness in the seeker?

M. Leave it all to the Master. Surrender to Him without reserve.

One of two things must be done : either surrender yourself, because you realize your inability and need a higher power to help you; or investigate into the cause of misery, go into the Source and so merge in the Self. Either way, you will be free from misery. God or Guru never forsakes the devotee who has surrendered himself.

sky 06-11-2017 08:32 PM

Quote:

Ramana Maharshi wasn't against an external guru :)

D. How can I obtain Grace?

M. Grace is the Self. That also is not to be acquired: you only need to know that it exists.

The sun is brightness only. It does not see darkness. Yet you speak of darkness fleeing on the sun’s approach. So also the devotee’s ignorance, like the phantom of darkness vanishes at the look of the Guru. You are surrounded by sunlight; yet if you would see the sun, you must turn in its direction and look at it. So also Grace is found by the proper approach you make, though it is here and now.

D. Cannot Grace hasten ripeness in the seeker?

M. Leave it all to the Master. Surrender to Him without reserve.

One of two things must be done : either surrender yourself, because you realize your inability and need a higher power to help you; or investigate into the cause of misery, go into the Source and so merge in the Self. Either way, you will be free from misery. God or Guru never forsakes the devotee who has surrendered himself.

I don't see that anyone has said Ramana was against Gurus...

django 06-11-2017 11:11 PM

Questioner: If it is true that the Guru is one’s own Self, what is the principle underlying the doctrine which says that, however learned a disciple may be or whatever occult powers he may possess, he cannot attain Self-realisation without the grace of the Guru?

Sri Ramana Maharshi: Although in absolute truth the state of the Guru is that of oneself (the Self), it is very hard for the self which has become the individual (jiva or embodied soul) through ignorance, to realise its true state or nature without the grace of the Guru.

Questioner: How then some great persons attain knowledge without a Guru?

Sri Ramana Maharshi: To a few mature persons the Lord shines as the formless light of knowledge and imparts awareness of the truth.

Questioner: Sri Aurobindo and others refer to you as having had no Guru.

Sri Ramana Maharshi: It all depends on what you call a Guru. He need not be in a human form. Dattatreya had twenty-four Gurus including the five elements- earth, water, etc. Every object in this world was his Guru. The Guru is absolutely necessary. The Upanishads say that none but a Guru can take a man out of the jungle of intellect and sense perceptions. So there must be a Guru.

Questioner: I mean a human Guru- Maharshi did not have one.

Sri Ramana Maharshi: I might have had one at one time or other. But did I not sing hymns to Arunachala? What is a Guru? Guru is God or the Self. First a man prays to God to fulfil his desires. A time comes when he will no more pray for the fulfilment of material desires but for God Himself. God then appears to him in some form or other, human or non-human, to guide him to Himself in answer to his prayer and according to his needs.

jonesboy 07-11-2017 12:59 PM

So unless you are one of those very lucky few.

Find a realized guru.

Gem 07-11-2017 10:59 PM

I think the key teaching of Ramana was self inquiry, so it's probably worth looking into that as he explains it. I'm not so sure of the value of the other asides, though these might be relevant to particular questioners.

We will find that those interested in being gurus will promote gurus, but there are spiritual teachers who suggest it is inhibiting, but it's not a question of which teacher is right and which teacher is wrong, because to believe either on the authority of their teacherdom is 'following'.

We run into these sorts of problems with knowledge, as the formation of 'the answer' only gives us something to cling to, and wield out of our own desire to influence others. In the ways of teaching I am accustomed to, the teacher speaks from their insight, but the student is alone to discern, and can only understand the meaning through their own actual insight. In this way Ramama's method of self inquiry is sensible, because it doesn't tell you what an answer is, and it requires you to look and see for yourself.

Now, when people tell you you need a guru, what makes them right and what makes them wrong? This is all senseless debate in which each party attempts to influence the other, and that is power, where the basic intent is to be right, and thereby come out on top.

If people want to find a guru, then go ahead, enjoy the benefits of such an endeavour, and if another finds it unappealing, then don't - it's each one's self determination to discern what is best.

In my life I have not sought gurus, but at times in my life I have 'stumbled upon' highly advanced people who gave me a hand in moving along, just within my friendships - but I read a bit of Ramama and he has said some relevant things to me, so I can only suggest reading a bit and see what you think of it.

ajay00 08-11-2017 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by django
Questioner: If it is true that the Guru is one’s own Self, what is the principle underlying the doctrine which says that, however learned a disciple may be or whatever occult powers he may possess, he cannot attain Self-realisation without the grace of the Guru?

Sri Ramana Maharshi: Although in absolute truth the state of the Guru is that of oneself (the Self), it is very hard for the self which has become the individual (jiva or embodied soul) through ignorance, to realise its true state or nature without the grace of the Guru.

Questioner: How then some great persons attain knowledge without a Guru?

Sri Ramana Maharshi: To a few mature persons the Lord shines as the formless light of knowledge and imparts awareness of the truth.

Questioner: Sri Aurobindo and others refer to you as having had no Guru.

Sri Ramana Maharshi: It all depends on what you call a Guru. He need not be in a human form. Dattatreya had twenty-four Gurus including the five elements- earth, water, etc. Every object in this world was his Guru. The Guru is absolutely necessary. The Upanishads say that none but a Guru can take a man out of the jungle of intellect and sense perceptions. So there must be a Guru.

Questioner: I mean a human Guru- Maharshi did not have one.

Sri Ramana Maharshi: I might have had one at one time or other. But did I not sing hymns to Arunachala? What is a Guru? Guru is God or the Self. First a man prays to God to fulfil his desires. A time comes when he will no more pray for the fulfilment of material desires but for God Himself. God then appears to him in some form or other, human or non-human, to guide him to Himself in answer to his prayer and according to his needs.

Guru is a sanskrit word meaning 'remover of darkness'.

As the above excerpt by Ramana Maharshi states, the Guru can come in the form of a human or non-human.

Dattatreya's 24 Gurus were the elements, insects, animals. birds , natural formations , a girl and a child.

By contemplating on their charecterestics, he was able to discriminate between the real and unreal and attain enlightenment.

A human Guru or teacher can also be helpful. In every aspect of material life, we have teachers and same too is the case of spirituality, unless one is very gifted, as per Ramana and Bodhidharma.

As Emerson stated, 'A good teacher makes things easier to understand.'

Nisargadatta Maharaj, abided in the state of 'I Am' or Awareness, as taught by his guru Siddharameshwar , for three years, and attained enlightenment.

Mooji and Madhukar attained enlightenment through the aid of H.W.Poonja.

Some have attained enlightenment without Gurus too. A charecterestic among them is that they are blessed with excellent study and work habits, along with courage, which enables one to be successful in the material sphere as well.

Devamrita, a recent enlightened master, had no Guru, though he cleared his doubts and made his intellectual understanding precise through research and discussion with saints and scholars. Upon realising that Awareness was the key factor, he practiced it meticulously and attained enlightenment in six months.

Same is the case with Dada Gavand and Jed Mckenna.

The exceptional ones can forgo a Guru, but the problem is that almost everyone takes himself or herself to be an exceptional person or superman due to egotism, improper understanding of their capacities, and ends up nowhere. In fact, within the same time period, they could have attained a high spiritual level or enlightenment, if they had taken the help of an enlightened Guru with a good track record.

Theodore Roosevelt had stated that there are three kinds of marksmen...

My own experience as regards marksmanship was much the same as my experience as regards horsemanship. There are men whose eye and hand are so quick and so sure that they achieve a perfection of marksmanship to which no practice will enable ordinary men to attain. There are other men who cannot learn to shoot with any accuracy at all. In between come the mass of men of ordinary abilities who, if they choose resolutely to practice, can by sheer industry and judgment make themselves fair rifle shots. The men who show this requisite industry and judgment can without special difficulty raise themselves to the second class of respectable rifle shots; and it is to this class that I belong.

Through honesty and critical analysis, one should similarly gauge or assess oneself, and select a realistic course of action suitable to one's capacities and limitations, for attaining the maximum chances for success, in the field of one's endeavor.

blossomingtree 09-11-2017 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajay00

As the above excerpt by Ramana Maharshi states, the Guru can come in the form of a human or non-human.

Dattatreya's 24 Gurus were the elements, insects, animals. birds , natural formations , a girl and a child.

By contemplating on their charecterestics, he was able to discriminate between the real and unreal and attain enlightenment.

A human Guru or teacher can also be helpful. In every aspect of material life, we have teachers and same too is the case of spirituality, unless one is very gifted, as per Ramana and Bodhidharma.

As Emerson stated, 'A good teacher makes things easier to understand.'

Nisargadatta Maharaj, abided in the state of 'I Am' or Awareness, as taught by his guru Siddharameshwar , for three years, and attained enlightenment.

Mooji and Madhukar attained enlightenment through the aid of H.W.Poonja.

Some have attained enlightenment without Gurus too. A charecterestic among them is that they are blessed with excellent study and work habits, along with courage, which enables one to be successful in the material sphere as well.

Devamrita, a recent enlightened master, had no Guru, though he cleared his doubts and made his intellectual understanding precise through research and discussion with saints and scholars. Upon realising that Awareness was the key factor, he practiced it meticulously and attained enlightenment in six months.

Same is the case with Dada Gavand and Jed Mckenna.

The exceptional ones can forgo a Guru, but the problem is that almost everyone takes himself or herself to be an exceptional person or superman due to egotism, improper understanding of their capacities, and ends up nowhere. In fact, within the same time period, they could have attained a high spiritual level or enlightenment, if they had taken the help of an enlightened Guru with a good track record.

Theodore Roosevelt had stated that there are three kinds of marksmen...

My own experience as regards marksmanship was much the same as my experience as regards horsemanship. There are men whose eye and hand are so quick and so sure that they achieve a perfection of marksmanship to which no practice will enable ordinary men to attain. There are other men who cannot learn to shoot with any accuracy at all. In between come the mass of men of ordinary abilities who, if they choose resolutely to practice, can by sheer industry and judgment make themselves fair rifle shots. The men who show this requisite industry and judgment can without special difficulty raise themselves to the second class of respectable rifle shots; and it is to this class that I belong.

Through honesty and critical analysis, one should similarly gauge or assess oneself, and select a realistic course of action suitable to one's capacities and limitations, for attaining the maximum chances for success, in the field of one's endeavor.

EXCELLENT, objective, and well researched post, ajay00. Thank you for that..

I'm reminded that Bodhidharma himself said:

"If you don’t understand by yourself, you’ll have to find a teacher to get to the bottom of life and death. But unless he sees his nature, such a person isn’t a teacher. Even if he can recite the Twelvefold Canon he can’t escape the Wheel of Birth and Death...

There’s no advantage in deceiving yourself. Even if you have mountains of jewels and as many servants as there are grains of sand along the Ganges, you see them when your eyes are open. But what about when your eyes are shut? You should realize then that everything you see is like a dream or illusion.

If you don’t find a teacher soon, you’ll live this life in vain. It’s true, you have the buddha-nature. But the help of a teacher you’ll never know it. Only one person in a million becomes enlightened without a teacher’s help. If, though, by the conjunction of conditions, someone understands what the Buddha meant, that person doesn’t need a teacher. Such a person has a natural awareness superior to anything taught. But unless you’re so blessed, study hard, and by means of instruction you’ll understand.

People who don’t understand and think they can do so without study are no different from those deluded souls who can’t tell white from black."

blossomingtree 09-11-2017 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajay00

I never knew this.

Shivani Devi 09-11-2017 05:38 AM

Namaste.

There is a reason why some people become totally turned off the spiritual path and that's because of all the 'spiritual hypocrisy' and all the 'judgmental attitudes' which surround it.

For example, you'll see a rich celebrity in Beverley Hills, or even a well-meaning, well-to-do 'spiritual person' on a 'spiritual forum' say; "what about all those poor, starving people in Africa...we should have so much pity and compassion for them...poor, dear souls..." meanwhile, they are all driving around in their Mercs, chowing down on steak, having massages twice a week...and the moment one says "hey, I know...how about you sell your house, sell your car, donate all the proceeds of the sale and all of your income to those poor, starving people of Africa and live on the street, without anything, if you feel so strongly about it?" and then, all those well-to-do 'keyboard warriors' will say "how can you ignore the plight of those poor people, you cold, heartless, piece of work?" and then, all you can do, is tell them to 'eff off', honestly! and then, they will say "and you call yourself 'spiritual', I doubt it" and all you can say is "if that's what being spiritual IS according to you, I am totally glad that I am not" and then, they'll say something like; "the door is that-a-way, and don't let it hit you on your tail on the way out".

Om Namah Shivaya

sky 09-11-2017 06:16 AM

Quote:

Namaste.

There is a reason why some people become totally turned off the spiritual path and that's because of all the 'spiritual hypocrisy' and all the 'judgmental attitudes' which surround it.

For example, you'll see a rich celebrity in Beverley Hills, or even a well-meaning, well-to-do 'spiritual person' on a 'spiritual forum' say; "what about all those poor, starving people in Africa...we should have so much pity and compassion for them...poor, dear souls..." meanwhile, they are all driving around in their Mercs, chowing down on steak, having massages twice a week...and the moment one says "hey, I know...how about you sell your house, sell your car, donate all the proceeds of the sale and all of your income to those poor, starving people of Africa and live on the street, without anything, if you feel so strongly about it?" and then, all those well-to-do 'keyboard warriors' will say "how can you ignore the plight of those poor people, you cold, heartless, piece of work?" and then, all you can do, is tell them to 'eff off', honestly! and then, they will say "and you call yourself 'spiritual', I doubt it" and all you can say is "if that's what being spiritual IS according to you, I am totally glad that I am not" and then, they'll say something like; "the door is that-a-way, and don't let it hit you on your tail on the way out".

Om Namah Shivaya

:D I love your honesty and sense of humour... it's refreshing.

Shivani Devi 09-11-2017 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky123
:D I love your honesty and sense of humour... it's refreshing.

Thanks.

About this whole 'Guru' thing...I keep getting flashes, like a late-night advertisment on the free-to-air shopping channel:

"Announcer": 'And now, for a limited time...GURU...a tried and tested method that has worked for thousands of people worldwide....here's what a satisfied customer has to say about it:

"Satisfied Customer": 'My whole life was going to hell, before I found the 'GURU METHOD'...now, I couldn't be happier! it has worked for me...and it can work for you too!'

"Announcer": 'That's right folks, but don't take my word for it, here's what Mrs Smith has to say about it:

"Mrs Smith": 'The GURU METHOD totally transformed my life and made me a much peaceful person...I totally recommend it to all seeking personal fulfillment'.

"Announcer": "Thousands of people can't be wrong...so act now and total satisfaction is guaranteed, with a 'karma-backed' warranty and if you are one of the first to respond, we shall give you TWO 'GURU Methods' for the price of one...that's right, one for you and one for a friend, so what are you waiting for? act now so you don't miss out!"

...and this is why I am very hesitant about the whole 'guru thing'.

Om Namah Shivaya

sky 09-11-2017 08:56 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

About this whole 'Guru' thing...I keep getting flashes, like a late-night advertisment on the free-to-air shopping channel:

"Announcer": 'And now, for a limited time...GURU...a tried and tested method that has worked for thousands of people worldwide....here's what a satisfied customer has to say about it:

"Satisfied Customer": 'My whole life was going to hell, before I found the 'GURU METHOD'...now, I couldn't be happier! it has worked for me...and it can work for you too!'

"Announcer": 'That's right folks, but don't take my word for it, here's what Mrs Smith has to say about it:

"Mrs Smith": 'The GURU METHOD totally transformed my life and made me a much peaceful person...I totally recommend it to all seeking personal fulfillment'.

"Announcer": "Thousands of people can't be wrong...so act now and total satisfaction is guaranteed, with a 'karma-backed' warranty and if you are one of the first to respond, we shall give you TWO 'GURU Methods' for the price of one...that's right, one for you and one for a friend, so what are you waiting for? act now so you don't miss out!"

Om Namah Shivaya

:biggrin: ' buy one, get one free '
Yes I feel the same but it is a personal choice, some feel they are a benefit others a hindrance.
I was having a chat on the non-duality and the guru thread with a person who thinks they can cure illnesses and unblock obstructions etc: I believe it's a placebo effect not some special powers that they have, but It's irrelevant if a sick person gets well again, that's what's important.

Shivani Devi 09-11-2017 12:23 PM

Namaste.

Sometimes I sit and wonder what all those 'historical gurus' (Ramana, Ramakrishna, Buddha, Jesus etc) would be like if they were born into or subject to today's modern world....would they even be noticed? would they make use of Youtube and Social Media? or would their 'disciples' post stories, blogs etc on their behalf and without their permission, only to have them viewed as just another 'crackpot' in the whole 'guru smorgasbord' which is out there? Is it the case where the true 'enlightened master' is a thing of the past, due to all these allegations (either founded or unfounded) by those who disagree or find fault with their whole practice and methodology? What makes Sadguru any different from Mooji? What role do the disciples play in a guru's exaltation or downfall? There's a whole lot of 'politicking' going on which has changed a lot in the last 70-80 years...it's not as 'simple' now as it was back then.

We just have to look at the 'last wave' of great gurus which made their presence known from 1930 - 1960...Ramana Maharishi, Swami Yogananda, Swami Sivananda Saraswati, Jiddu Krishnamurti etc...no gurus since then have made an impact really, or been without controversy.

jonesboy 09-11-2017 01:07 PM

I would not say Sadguru nor Mooji are enlightened. To me they are teachers but not at the realized guru level.

I think that is the problem and where your tv story fits. Each of the above just talk. They may say meditate here or do this but beyond that it is talk. A realized guru is much more than that as KS mentions over and over again.

Also, I don't see where a student who may do something wrong is a reflection on the teacher. All you can do is help, if the person then decides to act out in a way that brings discredit to the tradition or the teacher how is it the teachers fault? Is it your fault if your children cheat on a homework assignment at school? No, I would say not.

The thing is to be open. How can a new path, a way come to you if you are closed off and unwilling to even check something out?

Most people here have no clue about guru's or energy or any of these things but they don't mind putting any of it down and saying how bad it is.

But then like Jesus said:

9. Jesus said, "Look, the sower went out, took a handful (of seeds), and scattered (them). Some fell on the road, and the birds came and gathered them. Others fell on rock, and they didn't take root in the soil and didn't produce heads of grain. Others fell on thorns, and they choked the seeds and worms ate them. And others fell on good soil, and it produced a good crop: it yielded sixty per measure and one hundred twenty per measure."

You can just keep offering and while most won't take root. Those few that do become bountiful :)

Bindu* 09-11-2017 01:21 PM

Today is a good day to tune yourself to the Guruprinciple (Gurutattva).

This principle is omniprescent inside everything. A cosmic principle.

Some teachers are catalysts for that principle.

https://www.facebook.com/AstralGodde...7nCK24&fref=nf
Quote:

In America today is Guru Pushya Nakshatra Yoga day (Gurupushyamrut Yoga) as the Moon transits in the very auspicious Pushya nakshatra which extends in the Moon's own sign from 3 degrees 20 minutes to 16 degrees 40 minutes sidereal Cancer. Pushya is ruled by Brihasptai (GURU), and Thursday is also ruled by GURU, so this day when the Moon is in Pushya on a Thursday is a good muhurta (auspicious time) for seeking spiritual blessings, especially those of Lakshmi who was born in Pushya nakshatra. It is a day for auspicious new beginnings and making investments etc

I think Ammachi is a good example of a prescent time Guru with a good impact on the globe.

Shivani Devi 09-11-2017 01:32 PM

Quote:

I would not say Sadguru nor Mooji are enlightened. To me they are teachers but not at the realized guru level.

I think that is the problem and where your tv story fits. Each of the above just talk. They may say meditate here or do this but beyond that it is talk. A realized guru is much more than that as KS mentions over and over again.

Also, I don't see where a student who may do something wrong is a reflection on the teacher. All you can do is help, if the person then decides to act out in a way that brings discredit to the tradition or the teacher how is it the teachers fault? Is it your fault if your children cheat on a homework assignment at school? No, I would say not.

The thing is to be open. How can a new path, a way come to you if you are closed off and unwilling to even check something out?

Most people here have no clue about guru's or energy or any of these things but they don't mind putting any of it down and saying how bad it is.

But then like Jesus said:

9. Jesus said, "Look, the sower went out, took a handful (of seeds), and scattered (them). Some fell on the road, and the birds came and gathered them. Others fell on rock, and they didn't take root in the soil and didn't produce heads of grain. Others fell on thorns, and they choked the seeds and worms ate them. And others fell on good soil, and it produced a good crop: it yielded sixty per measure and one hundred twenty per measure."

You can just keep offering and while most won't take root. Those few that do become bountiful :)

I agree that all they do is talk...and talk...

However, without being enlightened yourself, how can you tell if another is? do you just take somebody's word for it who says: "my guru is an enlightened sage...you should totally suss him/her out" and you could find a million people who will say such a thing, but you don't have the time to check out all those gurus that have helped/inspired other people.

Then, you could see a Buddhist nun like Pema Chodron...go 'she looks/sounds interesting...I wonder what she is up to then? I like what she says...I'll suss her..." only to realise she is yet another 'teacher'.

They say that when the student is ready, the guru will appear...or the student will see an insect/fish as their guru, like the aforementioned Dattatreya...but by that time, a guru is no longer required..

...and so, the seed gets distributed on fertile soil, but without the rain and sunshine, it will just wither and die, like the seed which is cast upon the desert sand.

Om Namah Shivaya

jonesboy 09-11-2017 01:55 PM

Quote:

I agree that all they do is talk...and talk...

However, without being enlightened yourself, how can you tell if another is? do you just take somebody's word for it who says: "my guru is an enlightened sage...you should totally suss him/her out" and you could find a million people who will say such a thing, but you don't have the time to check out all those gurus that have helped/inspired other people.

You know of the old saying that say's to prepare yourself so that you can know when you are in the presence of a master?

If all they do is talk or talk about the astral, if all they do is mention 3rd eye stuff those are ways of not knowing.. But how can a normal person know?

The presence of a divine being alone pulls you along. Most people as they advance can feel energy, can feel the presence of others around them. But even that strong presence doesn't mean they are enlightened. Just because you go to a temple and experience silence doesn't mean the teacher is enlightened.

Beyond presence is the ability to share it, sharing it by means of oneness, of you connecting to that being anytime, anywhere and being pulled along. Having your upsets gradually let go bit by bit because of the sharing of the light with that guru.

For instance I have a friend who does nothing, no meditation no practices and yet by sharing that light he is now at the Witness stage in daily life. Mooji for instance can't do that.

Quote:

...and so, the seed gets distributed on fertile soil, but without the rain and sunshine, it will just wither and die, like the seed which is cast upon the desert sand.

Om Namah Shivaya

You are right if it doesn't have water or sun it will die. The guru provides that sun and rain. It is always there.. the true test is if the student decides to come outside and partake. If not it is just like the seeds under the rock or the seeds being blown away.

The student has to do the work.. the guru can help speed things along, can help in many ways. but in the end it is you, who has to do the work and let stuff go..

It is like a transmission of grace. One can have a transmission and realize enlightenment right then. The way that happens is by truly letting go, not flinching you could say at the expansion, no fear of the process of truly letting go. It is real easy to flinch at such a time.. The guru provides the grace but it is up to us to not flinch and if we do to keep working on letting go until we are that grace.

Shivani Devi 09-11-2017 02:20 PM

I see...it reminds me of a story I once heard;

Once upon a time there was this half-hearted seeker, who went to India looking for a guru...he ended up in Varanasi somewhere...

He saw this holy sage, sitting in meditation by the banks of the Ganges and was immediately struck by his 'divine energy' or his 'aura'...so he approached the mystic.

"Revered Swami-ji, I have noticed your holy, divine countenance...could you teach me? make me your disciple? enlighten me? please?"

...and of course, the holy sage breaks his samadhi, opens one eye and says "get lost...go away...leave me alone".

Unperturbed by the rude rebuttal, the seeker prostrates himself at the swamis feet..."Oh please holy sage, take me on as your chela...I will do anything you ask and I won't disappoint you...please?"

...and so the swami opens both eyes, stands up, dusts himself off and says "I'm about to do my daily ablutions in holy mother Ganga...if you want to be free from all sin, you must take baptism in the waters of the Ganges."

The seeker says; "Okay, I'll take baptism in the Ganges...anything you want, I will do it..."

So, they both immerse themselves at a deep level in the holy Ganges river...

Then, the Swami said; "please, allow me to baptise you"...and he placed his hand on top of the seekers head and dunked him in...but he didn't remove his hand...he held the seeker under the Ganges water, using both hands for like 2 whole minutes...the seeker was struggling...almost drowning....

Finally, he let go, with the seeker rising up, coughing and spluttering "you fool! you stupid idiot! what the hell were you doing? I could have died!...you heartless moron!"

and the swami said...'so? tell me...what were you thinking as I held you under the water then?

The seeker said "I wasn't thinking anything...I just wanted to breathe! I just wanted to live! I wanted to escape your clutches so I could do that!

The swami then turned to the seeker and said "until your thirst for the Truth and enlightenment is like that, then get lost, go away and leave me alone..."

...and he did.

Om Namah Shivaya

jonesboy 09-11-2017 02:31 PM

Quote:

I see...it reminds me of a story I once heard;

Once upon a time there was this half-hearted seeker, who went to India looking for a guru...he ended up in Varanasi somewhere...

He saw this holy sage, sitting in meditation by the banks of the Ganges and was immediately struck by his 'divine energy' or his 'aura'...so he approached the mystic.

"Revered Swami-ji, I have noticed your holy, divine countenance...could you teach me? make me your disciple? enlighten me? please?"

...and of course, the holy sage breaks his samadhi, opens one eye and says "get lost...go away...leave me alone".

Unperturbed by the rude rebuttal, the seeker prostrates himself at the swamis feet..."Oh please holy sage, take me on as your chela...I will do anything you ask and I won't disappoint you...please?"

...and so the swami opens both eyes, stands up, dusts himself off and says "I'm about to do my daily ablutions in holy mother Ganga...if you want to be free from all sin, you must take baptism in the waters of the Ganges."

The seeker says; "Okay, I'll take baptism in the Ganges...anything you want, I will do it..."

So, they both immerse themselves at a deep level in the holy Ganges river...

Then, the Swami said; "please, allow me to baptise you"...and he placed his hand on top of the seekers head and dunked him in...but he didn't remove his hand...he held the seeker under the Ganges water, using both hands for like 2 whole minutes...the seeker was struggling...almost drowning....

Finally, he let go, with the seeker rising up, coughing and spluttering "you fool! you stupid idiot! what the hell were you doing? I could have died!...you heartless moron!"

and the swami said...'so? tell me...what were you thinking as I held you under the water then?

The seeker said "I wasn't thinking anything...I just wanted to breathe! I just wanted to live! I wanted to escape your clutches so I could do that!

The swami then turned to the seeker and said "until your thirst for the Truth and enlightenment is like that, then get lost, go away and leave me alone..."

...and he did.

Om Namah Shivaya

Very true in many ways but to me that guru is judging.

I am more of the mindset, help all who come looking. Some may stay, some may go but everyone no matter the faith, determination or depth of being should be helped with open arms. Not just those you find worthy. Remember it is about throwing the seeds and helping them grow.. Not just taking care of the ones with strong growth.

Just my take on things.

FallingLeaves 10-11-2017 01:35 AM

it is actually difficult to keep from getting pushed off the ledge... the further you go the more energy you spend trying to hold things together. Eventually, either everything you do falls apart, or you force yourself to die in the name of keeping it together.

bemusedly, it is much harder just to sit still and not go to all the trouble to try to attain the unattainable, only to find it falling out of your grasp. But in the end it is all you've got.

Shivani Devi 10-11-2017 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
it is actually difficult to keep from getting pushed off the ledge... the further you go the more energy you spend trying to hold things together. Eventually, either everything you do falls apart, or you force yourself to die in the name of keeping it together.

bemusedly, it is much harder just to sit still and not go to all the trouble to try to attain the unattainable, only to find it falling out of your grasp. But in the end it is all you've got.

Namaste.

The trick is to stop trying to hold everything together, thinking you can 'control' it in any way - or even that an amicable agreement can be reached if you 'work at it' because some people (not implying anybody in particular) are simply disagreeable by very nature, no matter what you say or do...and so, you realise that your methods aren't getting you anywhere, and you totally let go...let it go...surrender it....let them punch pillows.

Then, when you get pushed off the ledge, you will fly instead of fall...OR you realise that the whole trick is not to stand too close to the ledge in the first place, where all the 'pushers' are...and you distance yourself from that which will distract you from your peaceful meditation...and make you feel unwanted emotions like 'exasperation', 'frustration' and 'annoyance' when you usually feel NO emotions whatsoever, and if these are the only things you can feel, it is much preferable to feel no emotions at all...but I digress.

They say, it is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all, but spare a thought for those who have attained the 'unattainable'...only to have it yanked out of their grasp, with a booming voice saying "so, you want it, do you? then bloody work hard for it!".

Om Namah Shivaya

Lynn 10-11-2017 04:27 AM

Hello Members

Instead of closing the thread I have edited out the non related discussion that broke the flow of the thread.

Please take the time to respect each other and to take the time to remember that someone new coming into the thread should be able to follow a flow.

Lynn
SF Admin

Shivani Devi 10-11-2017 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn
Hello Members

Instead of closing the thread I have edited out the non related discussion that broke the flow of the thread.

Please take the time to respect each other and to take the time to remember that someone new coming into the thread should be able to follow a flow.

Lynn
SF Admin

Namaste and Bless you. :hug2:

ARUNACHALA SHIVA OM!!

Arunachala - the dwelling place of Ramana Maharishi, abiding as that which he loved.

Om Namah Shivaya

Gem 10-11-2017 05:04 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

Om Namah Shivaya

I was too till I read your announcement. Now where I can get me some?

Shivani Devi 10-11-2017 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gem
I was too till I read your announcement. Now where I can get me some?

Icwotudidthar. :biggrin:

However, my ambivalence to the announcer's tired, old 'sales pitch' makes me unable to notice that 1800 number which flashes on the screen directly after it. *muahahaha*

However, since posting all of that yesterday, I realise I already HAVE a guru:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakshinamurthy

When one has Dakshinamurthy as their guru, it totally spoils them in regards to all current, modern, human gurus...and that has been my problem with this all along.

In another incarnation, I was one of the 'holy 7' but I keep on forgetting that, keep getting caught up in this human incarnation and taking out all my existential angst on those of a lower vibration...until I get reminded, yet again...and then I am like "fear the skull, people...fear it!'

Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya