Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ayurveda (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Amla Oil (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9124)

Royalite 09-01-2011 08:33 PM

Amla Oil

I've used this oil on my scalp as a sort of deep conditioner or hot oil treatment in the past and found really nice benefits. Hair was shinier, smoother, better able to manage, and one of the things that shocked me was a texture change. Some of the reviews I read on forums about this oil was that it also helped darken their hair and I thought that was pretty interesting and while I did notice a slight darkening of my hair, I didn't really place a major emphasis on it.

The only downside to this oil, I thought, was the smell but I believe that part of that has to do with the kind of oil I bought. When I finally got the pure Amla oil the smell was a lot more sweet and calming, and it actually put me in a state of ease where I would actually find myself wanting to take a nap it caused me to relax so much. :D

Anyways, if anyone's tried this oil before or have any stories on it's various benefits, please share. :smile:

Silver 09-01-2011 09:01 PM

Is there a specific hair type it's meant to be used on?

Royalite 09-01-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvergirl
Is there a specific hair type it's meant to be used on?

My hair is curly. When I used it, it really loosened up my curl pattern. But from the things I've read so far, I haven't seen anything that selects a certain hair type. I'll try to find more information and come back to this though.

Royalite 09-01-2011 09:33 PM

Here's one link on the benefits of Amla Oil

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/amla-oil.html

Silver 09-01-2011 09:41 PM

I have sort of thin but wavy hair, and thx for the link.

Spiritlite 10-01-2011 12:39 AM

Is it okay for redheads?
Thanks and I'll check out the link in a bit.
Spiritlite.

Royalite 10-01-2011 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritlite
Is it okay for redheads?
Thanks and I'll check out the link in a bit.
Spiritlite.

Hey Spiritlite, I have heard that it has darkened people hair. This wasn't the case for me. But if you consider getting it, try to find one that is as pure as possible and doesn't include products like Henna. That can really darken your hair.

Royalite 10-01-2011 04:14 AM

This link deals with all things Amla and it has some very valuable information about amla tea, to powders, to skin oils and hair oils.

http://www.amlaoil.com/amla-product/amlaoil.asp

Spiritlite 10-01-2011 05:20 AM

Thanks Dynamist I really don't want to darken my red hair it would look weird....
Spiritlite

harley's mum 18-01-2011 10:45 AM

Hello Dynamist and all...

just found this thread and here to help...
I have been using amla oil for 35 years and have converted many many friends so... the type of hair is irrelevant and in particular the indian ladies the reason they have such magnificent shiny hair is the use of amla they do not shampoo then condition as we do in the west they only shampoo then while the hair is still wet rub the amla through and comb...

some of the tips with use of amla are less is more a little goes a long way I would say about a one inch circle in the palm of the hand rub your hands together to heat and then rub through wet hair

please remember the same as all oils is they can go sour or off always pour into your palm do not contaminate the oil by putting your hand on the top of the bottle the oil should smell sweet if it does not it has gone off so buy a new bottle

regarding the bottle the lids in typical indian fashion are never quite closing properly after opening and when I travelled I would keep my bottle in a plastic zip top bag

amla does not change the color but consistent use does improve hair quality for myself I was blessed/cursed with thick thick naturally curly hair and people always wanted to touch my hair and the number of times I was asked is it real is it a perm when did you get it done etc used to drive me crazy and at parties it was like if the next person touches my hair I will chop their hand off sort of thing funny since my husband passed and trying to create a new life actually now doing the pixie cut thing which I love but still use the amla still love the shiny thing...

well I hoped this has helped illuminate all who have commented on this thread and remember less is more...

Royalite 28-01-2011 05:21 PM

Thank you for this post harley's mum. I'm glad you posted this. :)

Roselove 28-01-2011 09:22 PM

it's a great oil but careful i read it can darken hair

Royalite 28-01-2011 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosewater

Yeah it can. I used it this weekend. really, look out for the products that henna in it if you don't want your natural hair color darkening.

-ವಾನರ- 22-05-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosewater

You're absolutely right. It can darken the hair, the difference can be seen so quickly over a night. So beware, esp. those with blonde hairs.

I recently bought it from simhas,in. I don't know whether it's pure or not. I think they add a few more leaves to it. Nevertheless, it gave a soothing feel.

TahitianVanilla 30-08-2013 07:56 PM

I've used amla in the past and my hair had gotten so thick. Perhaps I should buy some more and start using it again to increase the thickness (and length) of it. I used brahmi in conjunction with amla too. Btw, I'm African American so my hair type is pretty coarse.

mantraspaadpt 05-09-2013 08:33 AM

Hi,
Amla oil has Ability to penetrate scalp and strengthen hair at the root.

africh 26-10-2013 06:33 PM

Amla oil is good to condition hair and it blacken the hair while aplied regularly. Amla is a fruit grown in INDIA. it has many properties. It is good source of vitamin A and Iron. eating Amla as raw, cook, half cook, amla candy everything made by Amla is good to health.

peacelover 14-02-2014 11:04 PM

thanks for the info :)

MrKappa 15-02-2014 04:33 PM

Thank you, I had never heard of this substance before and will be experimenting with it myself in the near future.

Prasant K 26-03-2015 09:39 AM

Benefits of Using Amla Oil

Amla or Indian Gooseberry has many many health benefits. It's packed with anti-oxidants, gives you energy and improves your immunity.

Amla oil is great for hair and its texture. It delays graying of hair, gets rid of dandruff, has conditioning effect to make you hair shiny and smooth. It also prevents hairfall.

If you have acne problems then you should boil Amla fruit in water and drink that water.

CarolineD 19-10-2016 11:54 AM

Amla is derived from the fruit of the Indian gooseberry or Phyllanthus emblica L., a deciduous tree found in both the tropical and subtropical portions of the Indian and Southeastern Asian countries.
The lemon-sized fruit is greenish yellow with attractive vertical striations and has a bitter, sour, and sweet taste. While amla fruit is primarily composed of water, it also contains a variety of sugars, carbohydrates, protein, fiber, minerals, and contains very high amounts of ascorbic acid (vitamin C). For many centuries it has been prized by practitioners of Ayurvedic medicine as well as many other groups for its reportedly amazing medicinal attributes as well as for its beneficial properties for hair and skin.

Alice_1 11-07-2018 06:43 AM

Amla oil soothes the scalp and strengthens the hair follicle. I like both the smell and the texture.

Ankhesenamun 24-08-2018 07:06 AM

I used to use Amla oil many years ago. It was a great conditioner but didn't prevent my hair falling out - though this was due to hormonal issues. I eventually stopped using it but I don't know whether continual use would have kept my hair a bit stronger. Then I was put off by the fact that Dabur Amla Oil (the most commonly used amla oil) contains mineral oil (liquid paraffin), which is derived from petroleum and does not get absorbed by the skin.

However - despite the bad reputation of mineral oil, I have found it to be better than natural oils for treating extremely dry skin. During the cold winter months, my skin gets painfully dry and nothing will heal it as well as baby oil, which is pure liquid paraffin, or vaseline which is petrolatum.

Considering that my hair follicles are really weak, I think I'll give it another try with amla oil. I certainly love the fragrance.

abhishekmayya 30-09-2019 03:16 AM

amla oil

Amla oil is a natural remedy prepared from the fruit of the Indian gooseberry tree, Phyllanthus emblica. ... Amla oil is normally directly applied to the hair and scalp, facial hair, or skin. ... Soaking dried amla fruits in a certain type of oil, is how amla oil is made.