Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Vegetarian & Vegan (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   🥳LAB GROWN MEAT🥳 (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=147060)

BigJohn 16-07-2023 04:03 PM

🥳LAB GROWN MEAT🥳

Is lab grown meat acceptable because it has no face nor soul?

Native spirit 16-07-2023 07:35 PM

It is not something I would buy. if it comes from a lab Chemicals will be involved No not for me.

Namaste

Miss Hepburn 16-07-2023 08:17 PM

What a fascinating question, BigJohn....nor killing, no need for antibiotics and hormones...it is sure not for ME!
Watch, they could start serving it in restaurants without telling us!
Chicken nuggets, Grilled BK Broiler, sliced turkey with mayo sandwich...Uh-oh. :icon_joker:

Guillaume 17-07-2023 07:07 AM

I grow my own meat at home ... I make bread :tongue:

Yeasts have a high proteins content, and when they multiply they increase the protein content of the bread. However I believe it's quite minimal in the typical bread-making process.

I've seen studies where they could increase the protein content of cereals from a few percent to 15-20% but it takes a lot of time and the right strains of yeasts.
Then if you extract proteins from it, like what is done for making seitan (extracting proteins from wheat flour), you could end up with something that has 50% of proteins and a meaty structure.
Tofu is in the same range of products.
Many people try stuffs on youtube, it's interesting.

So, lab-grown meat will probably be this sort of thing, take cereals and legumes, grow yeasts, extract proteins and that's it.
I think it's the "grow yeast" part which is tricky!
Then it's just marketing tricks, coloring and flavoring agents.

As long as they don't put too many preservatives I'll be fine.

EDIT: growing meat is a thing, the digestibility of proteins is another one

Podshell 17-07-2023 07:25 AM

I bought some plantain tofu the other week,had never seen or heard of it before-DrMercola wrote a few articles on lab grown meats which threw up a few new ideas I hadn't thought of,I always wonder why paneer is not more popular,it's better than meat imo(one conspiracy theory relating to LGM is that they are trying to get it to taste like human flesh so that they can bring a soylent green agenda in,I suppose it will give us an extra option,cremation,burial or burger!)

Altair 17-07-2023 07:43 AM

It's a good development. If you can get everything and even the taste of meat from alternatives, then why still eat meat? We waste so much land worldwide to livestock and growing food for livestock. Solutions are needed and if you can get everything you want elsewhere without fattening and slaughtering animals then that's good!

Willyeast 17-07-2023 10:25 AM

Vegan here. I think lab grown meat would be acceptable since there is no killing of an animal.

Podshell 17-07-2023 12:02 PM

I don't know sounds very unnatural and open to abuse, I recall thinking the benefits fish farming could bring, but it is causing problems, they building some big salmon farm in UK, rather than keeping or getting the rivers clean, they are using tons of concrete and workers to farm inferior fish that will probably end up causing a waste problem, waste that in the wild would benefit the environment.

Altair 17-07-2023 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Podshell
sounds very unnatural

Is online communication with avatars and usernames “natural”? Is virtual reality? Are cars? Is making fire “natural”? Are pacemakers and tooth implants?

Goodness gracious….
Our ingenuity and ability to adapt IS natural. Lets make things more sustainable, it is such a bonus, Pod..

BigJohn 17-07-2023 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altair
Is virtual reality? Are cars? Is making fire “natural”? Are pacemakers and tooth implants?

Our ingenuity and ability to adapt IS natural.

Really nice comments.

Makes me think of the replicator on the Star Trek series........ would we refuse to eat the food made in a replicator? That is, if a replicator was 'available'.