Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Religion (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Are you a mystic? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=146865)

Honza 11-06-2023 01:50 PM

Are you a mystic?

'Mystic' is my new favourite word. I did not know what it meant until I checked the dictionary. It refers to people who seek union with God through self-realisation etc.

Quote:

a person who seeks by contemplation and self-surrender to obtain unity with or absorption into the Deity or the absolute, or who believes in the spiritual apprehension of truths that are beyond the intellect.

So are you a mystic?

Busby 13-06-2023 10:36 AM

This dictionary explanation of the word 'mystic' is simply one of many and is, in my eyes, the easy way out.
Personally I have had a number of experiences which I would call 'bordering on the mystic'.
However I did have a full mystical experience when I was 20, one which changed my whole way of thinking and gave me an insight into universal consciousness.
I have already, somewhere, in SFs, given a short account of this experience but for the sake of the topic I'll just quickly relate what I saw/was shown/or whatever.

We/everything is deeply imbedded into what we can only call Oneness - All knowledge gained by the universe is a collective knowledge inherent in Jung's philosophy and is available as a constant to (let's say) human minds - the structure of the material universe is a simple one and reminds one of a zip being closed.

There, where I was, there was no god, no deities, no afterlife - just a permanent consciousness as part of an immense unfolding scene.

Absolutely overwhelming.

Hope this helps someone.

Miss Hepburn 15-06-2023 09:22 AM

Busby :smile:

pixiedust 15-06-2023 11:45 PM

Many people on the path experience "mystical" things, but what is mystical? It is just the unknown, explored and come forth. To call oneself a mystic would be to take ownership of such, and that would be a clue that one has not yet immersed oneself in the unknowable presence of what is.

wstein 16-06-2023 05:13 AM

I like to self describe as a 'mystic' because almost everyone thinks they know what it means even though few do. It avoids a lot of explanation that I am tired of trying to explain.

Redchic12 16-06-2023 07:31 AM

Good one Busby. Love it!

Molearner 17-06-2023 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honza
So are you a mystic?

Honza,

I almost liked the definition that you gave of mystic with this exception: rather than ‘believing’ in apprehension….
.I would say ‘being given’ the apprehension….

Honza 17-06-2023 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molearner
Honza,
I almost liked the definition that you gave of mystic with this exception: rather than ‘believing’ in apprehension…..
I would say ‘being given’ the apprehension….

That is far too unorthodox to be part of an official definition.

Miss Hepburn 17-06-2023 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molearner
I almost liked the definition that you gave of mystic with this exception: rather than ‘believing’ in apprehension….
.I would say ‘being given’ the apprehension….

I know...believing would not make you a mystic at all, imo....Definitions in dictionaries
are not always correct or spot on ...just as Wikipedia is not gospel truth either!

You are right, Mo, you are given the insight, the revelation ..it is called being a mystic since
you have been shown what is typically a mystery to others;
you have experienced the Divine or the Spiritual realms or have been given
Transcendent knowledge ...what is beyond the intellect, yes, by Grace, from my exp.
Ha, many NDErs could call themselves mystics now! :)

Identifying as a mystic - knowing that you are a mystic is like knowing you are have been to the Bahamas.
It's just about what you have experienced, what you have seen, what you have been shown that is
mysterious to others - my take.

Believing you can have these experiences is wonderful, tho!
Seeking them even better!

As someone said: You can be as close to God as you want to - it depends on
how much time you want to put into it.
:icon_cool:

Rah nam 17-06-2023 09:08 AM

I don't seek any union with God or any other deity, so I am not a mystic.