Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Buddhism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   why are Buddhists so... (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=115690)

DalesRealMeditation 04-08-2017 04:40 AM

why are Buddhists so...

Intellectual?

Why so much study and memorization?

Ground 04-08-2017 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DalesRealMeditation
Intellectual?

According to the buddhist scriptures there are two kinds of followers:
1. faith followers
2. wisdom followers

as to 1: these rely on belief
as to 2: these rely on analytical wisdom

Shaunc 04-08-2017 07:29 AM

I consider myself a follower of buddhism but the path that I follow is a lot less intellectual than most (pureland). Although not particularly popular in the west, world wide it's the most widely followed and practiced type of buddhism.

ajasatya 04-08-2017 11:53 AM

Quote:

Intellectual?

it depends on the tradition you're looking at. zen, for instance, throws away both belief and intellect. the practice of zen is just living mindfully in the present moment.

Gem 04-08-2017 02:12 PM

Quote:

Intellectual?

The Buddhist schools have a practice element and a scholarly element, so the philosophy compliments spiritual practice. It just so happens that if one undertakes a serious meditation practice in a Buddhist ashram or monestary, they also become fairly well grounded in the philosophy behind their practice. It comes to the memory in a different way, as insight, so you see for yourself, and thus understand what is said in the Dhamma talks.

JOHN44 14-08-2017 04:05 PM

Where's your insight of the unreachable truth. It is of the untold words of their teachings within what isn't their given wisdoms or walkings you should give an insight towards via means of theirteachings, for it is to the teachings of man that you give yourself unto. Lost in time many things are.

They absorbed time given forth to their insight upon the knowledge that was bestowed unto their given Life of the Ancient energy of time influenced. Forth is the knowledge within the Ancient energy of their truth received in meditation for the age they were introduced to was in need of a truth to be given forth to the age of a passing of all in need of their Age of wisdom that would live for all who would give following to the passings of their given truth of insight to the wisdoms they were given. Therefore all whom give experience in the truth of their given wisdoms would be given an inrichment of truthfulness to be forth to an age of enlightenment.

Imzadi 18-08-2017 12:27 AM

In my experience, Zen Buddhism is a little bit of both. Many Zen students try to understand conceptually until it is no longer needed and then realization blossoms beyond the thinking mind. Although the initial "Buddha Talk" is often times part of the process that leads to the realization that cannot be conceptualized and cannot truly be spoken, but simply understood. :)

DalesRealMeditation 25-09-2017 07:08 PM

I've been searching the Buddhist forums online and besides being very inactive, there also is a great abundance of study and "daily living" type content, with next to nothing about meditative practice, despite Buddha's frequent and deliberate emphasis on it.

Can somebody explain? I've been away from the interwebs for some years now.

sky 27-09-2017 02:47 PM

Quote:

I've been searching the Buddhist forums online and besides being very inactive, there also is a great abundance of study and "daily living" type content, with next to nothing about meditative practice, despite Buddha's frequent and deliberate emphasis on it.

Mybe they are inactive because everyone is meditating :smile:
It would obviously depend on what sites you frequent regarding meditative practises and who is posting.

jonesboy 27-09-2017 08:51 PM

Quote:

The practices are powerful.

Buddhism is a teacher/guru based system.

Giving such practices without guidance is considered wrong.

Now you can find some basic practices on youtube but to really learn them and the system it is recommended that one go to a temple to learn them.