Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Affirmations (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   What exactly are affirmations? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111015)

Natural Oculus 22-02-2017 05:43 AM

What exactly are affirmations?

Just wanted to know about it

John32241 22-02-2017 10:53 AM

Hi,

Affirmations are a form of thought management. Kind of like directing our subconscious and unconscious to use the common terms for our vast inner world looking for direction.

John

nellie 22-02-2017 02:24 PM

To me affirmations are a way to let a thought into my subconsciousness from where it can start becoming reality :)

secretscribe 23-02-2017 05:30 PM

Affirmations are positive statements that you repeat to yourself to change habitual negative thought patterns. They are stated in the present tense, and do not need to be 'true' in the present. "I am at peace" is something you can say to deal with anxiety.

Miss Hepburn 23-02-2017 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secretscribe
Affirmations are positive statements that you repeat to yourself to change habitual negative thought patterns.
They are stated in the present tense, and do not need to be 'true' in the present. "I am at peace" is something you can say to deal with anxiety.

I agree...I would just omit, 'to change neg thought patterns'.
Only because a person could be really happy and positive,
but really want that job...so they apply, "That job is mine!" :hug3:
"I am getting that job!" :wink:

While never having had a negative thought at all...just going for it
more with affirming it.

Understanding the subconscious mind helps to understand what affirmations 'do'.
Natural Oc, go over to the quotes of Neville Goddard here...I think some are there talking about the subconscious.
What your core beliefs are come about in the objective world around you.
You you keep thinking or talking about being robbed...you will!
You have convinced your subc. mind.

Say, "Today is going to be the best ever!" and it will.
Say it enough and the you don't have to anymore because it successfully has been planted firmly in the unconscious mind.

There are so many authors that describe this with great clarity.

Natural Oculus 24-02-2017 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secretscribe
Affirmations are positive statements that you repeat to yourself to change habitual negative thought patterns. They are stated in the present tense, and do not need to be 'true' in the present. "I am at peace" is something you can say to deal with anxiety.

That sounds very helpful.i wish I had a 9 -5 job. I would be getting paid more. This information is very helpful.

Natural Oculus 24-02-2017 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
I agree...I would just omit, 'to change neg thought patterns'.
Only because a person could be really happy and positive,
but really want that job...so they apply, "That job is mine!" :hug3:
"I am getting that job!" :wink:

While never having had a negative thought at all...just going for it
more with affirming it.

Understanding the subconscious mind helps to understand what affirmations 'do'.
Natural Oc, go over to the quotes of Neville Goddard here...I think some are there talking about the subconscious.
What your core beliefs are come about in the objective world around you.
You you keep thinking or talking about being robbed...you will!
You have convinced your subc. mind.

Say, "Today is going to be the best ever!" and it will.
Say it enough and the you don't have to anymore because it successfully has been planted firmly in the unconscious mind.

There are so many authors that describe this with great clarity.

Thank you very much. That makes a lot of sense:happy3:

Natural Oculus 24-02-2017 01:50 PM

Thank you to everyone for being so helpful. A lot of you had some interesting points. I feel like I learned something new.

OpportuneAbundance 04-03-2017 01:44 AM

I would add one last small tidbit...

Affirmations only work when you are able to put full belief and energy into what you are saying. Thus they are usually qualified as true statements about yourself/life that you wish to see demonstrated in existence.

Of course this means that whatever "affirmation" you are making should make SOME kind of (ideally direct) connection to who you are now. If you are a branch manager of a organization and wish to be vice president, you affirm "I am vice president" rather than "I am the best cleaner" (You can affirm such a thing but you have to understand that connection in the context of your own life)
If you affirm that "everyday my life gets better" you should be able to back that with as many reasons as possible (breathing, moving, thinking, eating, drinking, opportunity to improve in a limitless universe, etc.)

If you do not believe them to be true deep down about yourself nor wish to see them actualized, don't affirm it.

And lastly, if you affirm it, back it up in action with faith that what you affirm is being actualized.