Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Faeries, Elementals, Nature Spirits, & Woodland Creatures (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   hello, please tell me a little bit about your ancestors! (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96711)

ascendedJourney 26-01-2016 12:48 AM

hello, please tell me a little bit about your ancestors!

I come from Guam, isla of the taotaomona.

The taotaomona are the ancestor spirits who help when you do good, and who delay you when you do bad.

Tell me about your ancestor spirits!

Wyaunagh 11-03-2016 01:03 AM

Many of my ancestors were from pre-Saxon Britton. Some are from a place called Summerset, where the isle of Avalon is rumored to be found. they Were so small and fine boned that their Celtic neighbors used to say that they had Faerie blood in their veins.

Macsen1961 16-04-2016 02:44 AM

I am part native American, Cherokee and Apache, the rest is Welsh, Irish, Norman (not french, this was pre France during the time of William the Conqueror) and from that back to the Franks.

According to the oral tradition from my Cherokee great grandfather, an ancestor of mine was sent west on the Trail of tears, but when his family died on the trip, he continued west and ended up marrying a Chirachua woman.

He returned to Western North Carolina in time to fight in the civil war.

Now, according to my great grandfather, both the Cherokee and Apache blood comes from the wolf, i.e the Great wolf, first of his kind after creation.

While the stories are different, it boils down to the great wolf hunting near an Indian camp, falling in love with a indian maid, getting changed to human form for one year, then being turned back, after telling the mother of his child who and what he was.

The Cherokee story sort of ends there.

According to the Apache account, the wolf was granted the gift of being human for 1 day a year.

Now, since the language families of the two tribes are very distinct and different, it basically means that even though there were a few hundred generations between the two initial births, my great great great grandparents committed the sin of incest.

Regardless, tradition has it that those of the wolf clan have the blood of Canis lupus in our veins.

As far as the European lines, it is really fun there, for one of the paternal lines, specifically the one out of Normandy is both a direct descent from William, as well as being the nephew of William.

The family that came out of Wales by way of Scotland and Ireland have the unique eccentric trait of having two parallel lines interbred every 2nd or 3rd generation, which continued in North Carolina up until 1790, and as far back as there are records.

So basically, I have a magical wolf, mixed in with a hell of a lot of folks known for having very bad tempers and a flare for invasions.

Add to that my mothers folks are dutch from north of the Mason Dixon, my father's family is from the mountains of Western North Carolina, if there are any ancestral spirits trying to give me advice, they are probably too busy arguing among themselves if not out right fighting.

FYI, in the army I was known as the guy who never waited for the Sargent to ask "You apes want to live forever?"

I was the guy that got told repeatedly (with various colorful words thrown in) to "Get your <insert expletive> *** down!"

coelacanth 17-04-2016 03:45 PM

My mother is Ashkenazi Jewish. My father's mother's roots are in Southern Italy, but his father's roots are hard to ascertain.

There's a lot of eccentric people in the family, particularly on my dad's side. Some were mentally ill (bipolar, schizophrenia, etc.). If some of them lived today they might be labelled Asperger's syndrome or just be said to have a very imaginative personality.

Howla Dark 19-04-2016 01:20 PM

On my mothers side are the Volsungs, who descend from the god Odin.

Kathrin 22-04-2016 12:04 PM

Celt, Viking, Sovereigns, Peasants, Scots, Germans, Ashkenazi, Italian, Brits, Medici, Reptilian, Maya and many more, I guess.

Ginsune 22-05-2016 04:11 AM

*facepalm*

Ah western ancestral spirits bragging rights or your pedigree.

Hm... if I wasn't suffering a migraine & need to be up early to greet someone off a plane I'd explain it properly. I have, after all, known what ancestral spirits were since I was but a child.

However, I suggest just to read this. http://www.guampedia.com/chamorro-ancestor-worship/

It is a basic summary but gives a general understanding. It varies between societies, however, the general concept of ancestral spirits is the same.

To the OP feel free, if you still linger on the forums, to PM me.

Ginsune 22-05-2016 04:32 PM

Ah wrong area, to be deleted.

Clio_86 11-06-2016 08:26 AM

Scottish on my mother's side and my dad is Native. He is Cree and is from Manitoba. He speaks fluent Cree, and I spoke it a bit as a child, and he also went to a residential school. If familiar with Canadian history my ancestors were involved with the Louis Riel rebellion and there are a lot of Metis fur traders in our family tree. My great grandparents also made moccasins for Chief Sitting Bull while he was in Canada and in return he gave them a bear claw necklace which is now in the provincial Manitoba museum.

GlowWorm 11-06-2016 10:29 AM

The OP, as Ginsune mentioned, is likely going on about ancestral worship. It would definitely fit in with their culture.

Unless you worship your ancestors, as in having a shrine inside your house.

Unless you actually pray to them asking for guidance, asking for protection, asking for benefits such as good crops, etc. Unless they protect your house & lands from evil spirits be they human or spiritual and that actually has been proven as there's some remote countries where ancestral worship is still high foreigners who don't ask permission to travel the land get sick where locals will remain as healthy as horses.

Unless all that and more your ancestors need not apply.

Because your heritage to ancestral worship is irrelevant.

coelacanth 11-06-2016 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowWorm
The OP, as Ginsune mentioned, is likely going on about ancestral worship. It would definitely fit in with their culture.

Unless you actually pray to them asking for guidance, asking for protection, asking for benefits such as good crops, etc. Unless they protect your house & lands from evil spirits be they human or spiritual and that actually has been proven as there's some remote countries where ancestral worship is still high foreigners who don't ask permission to travel the land get sick where locals will remain as healthy as horses.

I think some people (including myself) misread OP's post to refer to ancestors in general. The only part of my heritage relevant to my spirituality is me being Jewish, and that's a far cry from ancestor worship. My apologies.

Clio_86 12-06-2016 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowWorm

What a kind and thoughtful way of redirecting the conversation...

Shivani Devi 12-06-2016 04:59 AM

My ancestors on my father's side date back to the Templar Knights through his mother (Arlington line).

Nothing is known about my paternal grandfather.

My Maternal grandfather dates back to the Highlanders of Scotland (Gordon clan)

In the end, there can only be ONE! - oh the blissful joy of that tastes so sweet right now...I can feel 'the quickening' rising up my spine like wildfire...but anyway...

Nothing is known about my maternal grandmother apart from being of French peasant lineage..

So that's about that...as far as I know.

Quote:

Ah western ancestral spirits bragging rights or your pedigree.

Yep, totally...now, if you were to read the Dead Sea Scrolls in regards to it all... ;)

dream jo 12-06-2016 05:30 AM

my ansestr frm all ovr dofnt contrys u cud saysum frm iland scotlnd norwy u cud say duthc u cud say its why i luv goin 2 nevlnds i thng i do

Berry 12-06-2016 12:39 PM

I have at least one Taoist deity for an ancestral spirit. I saw him in a vision when I was doing something I wasn't supposed to- getting involved in astral wars. I learned my lesson. I have seen other visions of people and writings of ancient China. My ancestral spirits do not care about worshipping them or paying homage. They are interested in how the new generations grow and develop spiritually. The ancestral shrines stopped with our immigration to the US. I'm a bit sad about the loss of tradition.

GlowWorm 13-06-2016 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clio_86
What a kind and thoughtful way of redirecting the conversation...

Lol. I can be quite a bit more kind & thoughtful if you desire.

Because it is, after all, a tad disrespectful to not research other people's cultural beliefs. Even if you weren't aware of the fact they were going on about ancestral worship and not heritage they introduce themselves as belonging to a cultural group that still believes in ancestral worship. I know this because I have friends from near that area who are likewise into ancestral worship; but for others there is always google.

Ancestral worship is distinctive. And no fae, deities, etc. do not count.

The ancestors do care about their descendants, they don't just throw you to the wolves. If you believe they "don't care" it is because you actually don't care for them. It is literally tic for tac as the saying goes. I said there are places where ancestral worship is still quite high and where tourists will get sick for not showing proper respect or asking permission while the locals will remain very healthy. Even in the US - there's aboriginal tribes which still obey ancestral worship rules and where outsiders [hunters, hikers, etc.] who trespass without showing proper respect are well known to simply disappear. Headless Valley in British Columbia is a good example of that lack of respect and what can happen in extreme situations. There's also a place in southern Europe where it is said if you but utter the name of the Christian god in its presence that something will literally tear you limb from limb because of how those of the Inquisition treated that thing's worshippers.

I for example once, in Montana, ran into a cougar when trekking the backwoods of a reserve. There was, at closest, just 25 feet between us. This was no baby puma, this was a nearly mature adult male. And he wasn't frightened in the slightest, more curious about some bizarre two-legged beast on his land. I am sitting here typing instead of being inside some cat's stomach [for all I had with me was a walking stick] because before I even started I visited one of the Elders and asked permission to venture onto their land. I didn't just say, heck with rules [of any sort]. This isn't the first time I have had close encounters with some major predator as I love exploring, wandering far off the beaten path. Now how many people have run into cougars or bears or wolves in the backwoods and don't come out again.

mystic1111 24-08-2016 04:04 PM

I have German and Polish on my fathers side. On my moms Native American and Norwegian I believe. My grandmother was Ojibwe from the Red Cliff reservation in northern Wisconsin. She diddnt know much about her spiritual culture, told me stories about being taken to one of the catholic boarding schools and how evil the nuns were to her. I looked more into my lineage at one of my great grandfathers was Chief Buffalo. He was apart of treaties for the tribe and made a trip to DC on a canoe.

I'm not sure about much on my fathers side I'll have to look more into it.

dream jo 24-08-2016 04:11 PM

my dads sid so big i no but mixtr of all srs u cud say
my mos sidonly small lk nomdy rom gipsy i thng

AngelRain 29-08-2016 05:54 PM

Im Chilean and Bahamian, but i spoke to a medium who also said i come from a lineage of scandonavians. Like vikings, as she put it lol. Which explains why ive always been obsessed with them. I think it may have been a grandmother who was celtic. I m not entirely sure as I was adopted and never met my biological family.

ThirdEyeSunglasses 02-10-2016 08:55 AM

Very cool guys