Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Hypnosis (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Too nervous to go under (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33331)

Altair 03-04-2012 04:26 PM

Too nervous to go under

I have tried one time a professional hypnosis session, but it was difficult to go under because I would start to get nervous. I would think to myself, "Oh, I better go under...Why is it taking so long for me to under...Am I under yet...I feel sorry for the therapist to keep repeating himself....does he know that I am not under....oh I better stop thinking and go under already. LOL I know it is crazy, but I swear this is what goes on in my mind as I try hypnosis with a professional. With myself it is obviously a differnt.

Does anyone else experience this and what can I do to help this. I always wonder would it be bad to just have a glass of wine before going to a session *LOL*

Xan 04-04-2012 02:32 AM

Altair... If you have another session you need to let the hypnotherapist know what's going on in your mind and what you feel. Then he can work with you on an approach that is effective for you.

Xan

Krishna-prem 04-04-2012 04:21 AM

Hi Altair,

Let me ask you, what do you mean by "going under"? And how will you know when you're there?

Cheers!

KP

ribiq 04-04-2012 04:44 AM

Well certainly you should talk to any therapist about your concerns if it's an issue. There are certain people who less hypnotizable than others; some people are said to be incapable of reaching a hypnotic state with the help of a hypnotist.

But if you're set on making it work, you should read up on and practice meditation. This will help you cultivate the relaxed/nonthinking state of mind you would want for hypnosis to be effective. But again, talk with your therapist about your concerns and they should be able to find a solution that works for your particular situation.

Altair 04-04-2012 03:06 PM

Thank you Xan. Next time I give this a shot again, I will let him know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krishna-prem
Let me ask you, what do you mean by "going under"? And how will you know when you're there?

'Going under' I believe means going into that trance state. I am not too sure how I would know except when I get close, my eyes start to flutter and body feels like it is floating and not there. I guess I should try not to focus on that too much.

Thank you ribiq. I think I will read up on and practice a lot more meditation.

Krishna-prem 04-04-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altair
Thank you Xan. Next time I give this a shot again, I will let him know.

'Going under' I believe means going into that trance state. I am not too sure how I would know except when I get close, my eyes start to flutter and body feels like it is floating and not there. I guess I should try not to focus on that too much.

Thank you ribiq. I think I will read up on and practice a lot more meditation.

Ah, so your eyes start to flutter and your body feels like it is floating and not there. Do you always go into trance this way every time?

Altair 05-04-2012 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krishna-prem
Ah, so your eyes start to flutter and your body feels like it is floating and not there. Do you always go into trance this way every time?

No. Now that I think of it, it happens when I do self-hypnosis or WILD= wake induced lucid dreaming which is when you have your body go to sleep but you forcefully try to stay awake consciously. It is very similar to feeling an outer body experience.

shadedragon 12-04-2012 11:59 PM

A good way to get to know how things will work is by pracricing with self hypnosis, or by listening to one (you can turn it off anytime and thus have control on how far you are comfortable going) and usually when you go under it's like going to your happy place where you feel calm and peaceful but with a purpose. I have practiced hypnosis a bit and enjoyed it

Hertford 03-06-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

I have tried one time a professional hypnosis session, but it was difficult to go under because I would start to get nervous. I would think to myself, "Oh, I better go under...Why is it taking so long for me to under...Am I under yet...I feel sorry for the therapist to keep repeating himself....does he know that I am not under....oh I better stop thinking and go under already. LOL I know it is crazy, but I swear this is what goes on in my mind as I try hypnosis with a professional. With myself it is obviously a differnt.

Does anyone else experience this and what can I do to help this. I always wonder would it be bad to just have a glass of wine before going to a session *LOL*

You shouldn't feel sorry for the hypnotist. All good hypnotist give an informative pre-talk which alleviates fears and explains what it feels like to be in hypnosis.

I notice you mention 'under', you are never under hyonosis you are either in or out, this should have been explained. Under implies you are being controlled by the hypnotist, you are working with the hypnotist.

Back to the hypnotist repeating himself, you should find a hypnotist that uses a fast induction and one that depth tests as he/she goes along. As you've found those long drawn out repetitive inductions are ineffective.

Aquarian 07-06-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

The quality of professional therapists, although much improved over the last decade, is abysmal. Most hypnotherapists cannot even tell when their client is in a trance. Some use a sweat detector...

I would say it's not your job whether you go into trance or not, but it depends whether you are prepared to stand up for yourself and insist on only paying for worthwhile treatment.

Fast inductions are no better than long inductions in my 16 years experience. You still have to take time to get the client in the right state of mind.