Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Christianity (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   What is the Adam and Eve story about? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127413)

django 13-01-2019 08:22 AM

What is the Adam and Eve story about?

Is the story of Adam and Eve about humanity wanting MORE? Not happy with what is freely offered, they believed that they were entitled to more, to what was not offered freely? And this is our problem, a kink in our makeup, our propensity to sin?

I think the apple is an analogy for knowledge?

Zigzangle 13-01-2019 08:30 AM

The Adam and Eve myth doesn't put the Biblical god in a good light at all. If you tell people not to do something, especially if it will increase their understanding, of course they will do it.

sky 13-01-2019 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by django
Is the story of Adam and Eve about humanity wanting MORE? Not happy with what is freely offered, they believed that they were entitled to more, to what was not offered freely? And this is our problem, a kink in our makeup, our propensity to sin?

Which Genesis story are you referring to Django?

django 13-01-2019 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky123
Which Genesis story are you referring to Django?

God said Adam and Eve could eat fruit from all the trees but one in the Garden of Eden, the tree of good and evil. If they hadn’t eaten this fruit they could have stayed in the Garden of Eden, where they had everything that they actually needed to sustain life. I am wondering if the issue is just that humans want more generally, and if this is our basic human problem?

sky 13-01-2019 09:11 AM

Quote:

God said Adam and Eve could eat fruit from all the trees but one in the Garden of Eden, the tree of good and evil. If they hadn’t eaten this fruit they could have stayed in the Garden of Eden, where they had everything that they actually needed to sustain life. I am wondering if the issue is just that humans want more generally, and if this is our basic human problem?

Your quoting from Genesis 2. There's so many different versions I personally don't take much notice of the Genesis Story, the correct way can only be what you choose to believe.

django 13-01-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky123
Your quoting from Genesis 2. There's so many different versions I personally don't take much notice of the Genesis Story, the correct way can only be what you choose to believe.

Bypassing the Adam and Eve story, do you think that we - by which I mean all of humanity - have a problem with always wanting more, never being satisfied with what we've got, over-estimate what we are due?

sky 13-01-2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

Bypassing the Adam and Eve story, do you think that we - by which I mean all of humanity - have a problem with always wanting more, never being satisfied with what we've got, over-estimate what we are due?

Dissatisfaction....

Some but not all, we are all different. There's also a positive side Djanjo to wanting more, it's not always negative.

I prefer the ' Middle Way '

SimpleMan 13-01-2019 11:44 AM

Quote:

Genesis 3:5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

Yes, after all, we talk about the tree of knowledge of good and evil.There were two important trees in Eden, the Tree of life and the tree of knowledge of good and evil, the first one is Jesus and the last one is Satan.

Genesis 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

We are on a christian sub-forum so we talk about the genesis that is found in the Bible.

Dargor 13-01-2019 11:56 AM

There may be a symbolical meaning behind it, but I don't know what it is. However, the idea of a literal interpretation of a forbidden apple and a talking boa constrictor is out of the question if you ask me. And that's something I used to believe...

sky 13-01-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlayerOfLight
There may be a symbolical meaning behind it, but I don't know what it is. However, the idea of a literal interpretation of a forbidden apple and a talking boa constrictor is out of the question if you ask me. And that's something I used to believe...

Talking Boa Constrictor

:biggrin: