Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Religion (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   purpose of religion (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=100529)

RajputMaster24 01-05-2016 04:07 PM

purpose of religion

Hello friends. Is the purpose of religion to develop character in individuals? For example, in the Bible it teaches to be Holy and grow in holiness and also in the Tao Te Ching we have the three treasures which teach us to develop virtues. And also in African religion, it teaches us to develop our character.

Timothy 01-05-2016 04:26 PM

Khamaghani; Religion binds us to our masters and develops character, yes.

Thunder Bow 01-05-2016 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy
Khamaghani; Religion binds us to our masters and develops character, yes.

Religion is all about social order and control. You can have character, without being subservient to a "Master".

Timothy 01-05-2016 05:33 PM

Nizhónígo ałhééhosiilzįįd Thunder Bow. A great witch has many followers.

Baile 02-05-2016 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RajputMaster24
Is the purpose of religion to develop character in individuals?

Yes, it serves that purpose for those who need it. But that's more a soul development question. Once the soul reaches a particular level of growth, it requires no external teaching or source for its truth. Religion is a Pisces Age phenomenon that is fading now as we enter the Aquarius Age.

Timothy 02-05-2016 11:06 AM

That can't be said for magic tho, which is always an external source for the soul and hence an external truth.

Thunder Bow 02-05-2016 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy
Nizhónígo ałhééhosiilzįįd Thunder Bow. A great witch has many followers.

I am not a adilgashii. Binagagha' is all about control. You are proving it by your simple judgment of me. For judgment is all about control and punishment. Haadee'?

Baile 02-05-2016 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunder Bow
Religion is all about social order and control. You can have character, without being subservient to a "Master".

Every belief system, including yours and mine, are nothing other than a reflection of our current understanding. That understanding changes from year to year, from lifetime to lifetime. People are where they are at in their understanding, because that's what they need. Some people may need social order and control. Also, religion for many is about learning to love. So religion isn't a bad thing for many.

You talk about judgment and say someone is judging you, but then your judge religion with this incredibly harsh and one-sided perspective. I agree religion has many serious faults, and I am the first to point them out in an open discussion. But the OP is asking a very simple question and making a very loving statement about religion. In cases like that I feel it is appropriate to honor the spirit of the inquiry; in this case, add something equally positive while confirming that which is good in religion.

I am not trying to tell you what to post, just suggesting there are human dynamics to take into account with any question, including assessing the spirit of the inquiry.

jimrich 02-05-2016 06:02 PM

Higher values

Quote:

Originally Posted by RajputMaster24
Hello friends. Is the purpose of religion to develop character in individuals? For example, in the Bible it teaches to be Holy and grow in holiness and also in the Tao Te Ching we have the three treasures which teach us to develop virtues. And also in African religion, it teaches us to develop our character.

For me, religion is a way to remember the higher/nobler values in life such as: Do unto others and love thy neighbor and love/respect Spirit and other high/lovable stuff that ordinary life either ignores or laughs at.
Unfortunately, religion can also encourage very bad and ugly things such as: FEAR, Jihad, the Crusades, the Inquisition, Imperialism, Plunder, fighting between most religious groups and members, hate, jealousy, vengeance, pedophile priests, greed, graft, violence and POLITICAL POWER in the hands of very evil people.
Just like most things in life, Religion contains both positive and negative features/energy so, take your pick...........positive religion or negative religion - it's your life.

Thunder Bow 02-05-2016 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baile
Every belief system, including yours and mine, are nothing other than a reflection of our current understanding. That understanding changes from year to year, from lifetime to lifetime. People are where they are at in their understanding, because that's what they need. Some people may need social order and control. Also, religion for many is about learning to love. So religion isn't a bad thing for many.

You talk about judgment and say someone is judging you, but then your judge religion with this incredibly harsh and one-sided perspective. I agree religion has many serious faults, and I am the first to point them out in an open discussion. But the OP is asking a very simple question and making a very loving statement about religion. In cases like that I feel it is appropriate to honor the spirit of the inquiry; in this case, add something equally positive while confirming that which is good in religion.

I am not trying to tell you what to post, just suggesting there are human dynamics to take into account with any question, including assessing the spirit of the inquiry.

...."Unfortunately, religion can also encourage very bad and ugly things such as: FEAR, Jihad, the Crusades, the Inquisition, Imperialism, Plunder, fighting between most religious groups and members, hate, jealousy, vengeance, pedophile priests, greed, graft, violence and POLITICAL POWER in the hands of very evil people.
Just like most things in life, Religion contains both positive and negative features/energy so, take your pick...........positive religion or negative religion -"....

As quoted from the post above yours, you use deeper thinking as to what you Pick from a religion for your self. The reality is is: Religion is about control, it is just that simple. Religion has nothing to do with the universe and all its powers. It has to do with Humans and things of Humans. Religion was created by humans for humans. How ever you can choose what you want from it for yourself, and how much you want to be controlled by others.

There are many Faith based posts in this forum, but I do not go in and yell "Religion Is All About Control" in every last one. Thus you are misjudging me. Besides I was responding to Timothy's post, not to the original post.

As with Donald Trump, you can buy what he is selling on impulse, or you can take longer look at the product he is selling, and make a more thoughtful decission.