Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Meditation (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Where would/do you prefer to meditate? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=116988)

Brucely 18-09-2017 07:48 AM

Where would/do you prefer to meditate?

Just a thread for fun

Gracey 18-09-2017 03:58 PM

i voted in the forest. for me in the forest, next to a river, sitting on a giant rock. i have that place actually. i have to get there by a four wheeler. takes about 45 minutes to get there through rough terrain. there are no sounds of human life or any sights of them around. just acres upon acres of forest. and animals, lots of animals....bears even.

Clover 18-09-2017 05:22 PM

I use to meditate at forest (park trail) that had a river running through it. Best experience for me.

These days I meditate in my room, meditation music helpful. In my area, It's not safe for a woman to go out alone, it's a high tourist area/state. There are lakes all around me but I don't feel the safest walking alone by myself ( I like meditating alone/being alone). I tried visiting the lakes last night to catch the sunset while walking and I had a variety of vehicle honkers. :rolleyes: So that was a turn off.

I do love mediating at the beaches (very secure) unbearable to do so now with hurricane weather (hot sun/severe humidity) but will do so again very soon.

To answer question, In front of a body of water preferable. Room works good in the meantime. I don't like mediating with other people but would be open to it if it involved under the stars. Now that sounds like a cool idea.

EndoftheRoad 18-09-2017 06:19 PM

I try to meditate in any and all locations/settings to avoid getting stuck in Checklist mentality. But I prefer outdoors, Meditating while on a kayak or in the water is a very grounding experience, but I often just head out to an overlook of a local waterway/wetland. The only negative is distractions aka mosquitos or flies.

iamthat 18-09-2017 08:46 PM

I have a room which I use just for meditation and yoga.

In Autobiography of a Yogi Yogananda describes how he wanted to go to the Himalayas and find a cave where he could meditate. On his journey he met a yogi who asked him if he had a room in his house where he could meditate. When Yogananda replied yes, the yogi said that that room should be his cave, and he had no need to travel to the Himalayas. He already had his teacher and his cave.

So for me, my meditation room is my cave. I do not need to travel to exotic locations, because the real journey is within. And also, it's much more comfortable staying at home!

Peace.

Bindu* 18-09-2017 09:58 PM

I love my cushion in my bedroom.

In front of my puja (altar).

There is picture of my Guru's and favourite deity's.
It tend to shift and take different forms according
to my present focus.

Here is a picture of it during navrati last year, a festival to the Godess shakti. Therefore all the Godess pictures.

Silver 18-09-2017 10:40 PM

Nice layout of your altar, Bindu. I like the sparkly picture on the left.
Who is that?

I chose near water, like the majority. I can hear the running brook or stream, or waves of the ocean right now. Practically speaking, I lay on my back on my bed because of various physical pains.

Clover 19-09-2017 01:33 AM

Very nice, Bindu. Totally, digging the Kali portrait.

Here was my session yesterday in front of a lake near home. Again, I prefer the landscapes in the Northern regions where I use to live. Ironically, there are more mosquito presence up North (thinking more forest animals) I forget to mention, my greatest fear at these lakes is encounter alligator ( not joking LOL). Lots of pines in Florida. Nevertheless, It was a beautiful day yesterday, the breeze was so soothing and refreshing and the sun set was no exception with all it's beauty. So much stillness and tranquility; goal achieved.

Brucely 19-09-2017 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthat
I have a room which I use just for meditation and yoga.

In Autobiography of a Yogi Yogananda describes how he wanted to go to the Himalayas and find a cave where he could meditate. On his journey he met a yogi who asked him if he had a room in his house where he could meditate. When Yogananda replied yes, the yogi said that that room should be his cave, and he had no need to travel to the Himalayas. He already had his teacher and his cave.

So for me, my meditation room is my cave. I do not need to travel to exotic locations, because the real journey is within. And also, it's much more comfortable staying at home!

Peace.

Very nice. True, but the journey is always more fun and memorable

Bindu* 19-09-2017 11:58 AM

Yes Clover and Silver

It's a nice Kali pic there. I love her in spite of the somewhat extreme iconography with the severed head and all..:smile:

It's the slayer of our negatives and ego, which leads to immersion in the bliss and light. That's Kali' message and symbolism.

Clover,
Nice landscape meditating in. I love sitting with a body of water in front of me and contemplating the Universal Consciousness manifesting itself as the beauty of nature. So sweet.....