Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Religion (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Buddhism/Christianity (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110130)

Shaunc 26-01-2017 02:26 AM

Buddhism/Christianity

I'm just putting this out there in case someone on here knows something that I don't.
Is there a religion out there that combines the teachings of Jesus and buddha. As far as I know there isn't although there may be some very small sects/cults that do.
The reason I am asking is that I was born a Catholic but have practiced Buddhism for over 20 years and have come to view Jesus as the ultimate bodhisattva and I could see myself practising such a religion without any problems at all.
Thanks. Good luck and best wishes. Shaun.

Shaunc 29-01-2017 06:19 AM

I've had no answers to the question so I'm going to try and re-word it another way.
To anyone's knowledge, has a religion ever been started that honors the teachings of Jesus and the Buddha.
I am aware of cao dai, a vietnamese religion that would fit this criteria however they also honor quite a few other people as well.
Thanks Shaun.

Baile 29-01-2017 10:04 AM

There have been several streams of esoteric thought that take more of a Buddhist approach to Christianity, yes. "Jesus as the ultimate Bodhisattva," and not "Son of God" sort of thing. You have to approach esoteric thought though from a whole-picture view, otherwise you can get stuck in the specific belief tenets of each. The philosophy that uses the actual word "Bodhisattva" to describe Buddha and Jesus, is Theosophy. And an offshoot of Theosophy is the esoteric Christian philosophy Anthrosophy, which speaks in depth of Buddha as well and has its own kind of Eight Fold Path.

Other philosophies that relate to your question are Hermeticism (non-religious) and Rosicrucianism (Christian). Even Taoism actually. But that's a much larger and broader discussion.

sky 29-01-2017 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaunc
I've had no answers to the question so I'm going to try and re-word it another way.
To anyone's knowledge, has a religion ever been started that honors the teachings of Jesus and the Buddha.
I am aware of cao dai, a vietnamese religion that would fit this criteria however they also honor quite a few other people as well.
Thanks Shaun.

Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh ' may interest you Shaun. Have you read his book ' Living Buddha living Christ ' it's beautiful :smile:
I know you asked for a Religion but he uses the teachings of the Buddha and Jesus in a unique way which could be what you are looking for...

Baile 29-01-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky123
Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh ' may interest you Shaun. Have you read his book ' Living Buddha living Christ ' it's beautiful :smile:

Just ordered it on Amazon!

sky 29-01-2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baile
Just ordered it on Amazon!

You will enjoy it :smile:

TNH says ' If you are a true Buddhist you are a true Christian ' and vice versa....

Baile 29-01-2017 11:23 AM

Quote:

you are a true Buddhist

Yes I know.
Quote:

you are a true Christian

Yes I know.

Other things I know:
I am a true Taoist.
I am a true Hermeticist.
I am a true Druid.
I am a true Qi Gonger.
I am a true Thich Nhat Hanh believer.

I don't let things like religion and beliefs get in my way. :smile:

sky 29-01-2017 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baile
Yes I know.Yes I know.

Other things I know:
I am a true Taoist.
I am a true Hermeticist.
I am a true Druid.
I am a true Qi Gonger.
I am a true Thich Nhat Hanh believer.

I don't let things like religion and beliefs get in my way. :smile:

Yes you have to let go to be a free spirit :smile:

Shaunc 31-01-2017 08:20 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes I'm quite familiar with TNH and plum village and I have a lot of time for his 14 precepts. I suppose we'll (my wife and I) just keep going on in the same way as usual.

Morpheus 01-03-2017 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaunc
Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes I'm quite familiar with TNH and plum village and I have a lot of time for his 14 precepts. I suppose we'll (my wife and I) just keep going on in the same way as usual.

I've posted in the past how, compared to the old testament, the New is Eastern in style and manner.
Buddha told the Truth. Spoke of oness and unity with The Truth.
Jesus is The Truth as it says.
God is Truth.

In Catholicism there is that which is referred to as, "The Eastern Rite".

http://easterncatholicchurch.org/metropolitan.html