Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Films (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The Healing Nature Of Film (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107638)

TheInfiniteNothing 11-11-2016 07:33 AM

The Healing Nature Of Film

Hello
I am a film student with interests in philosophy,spirituality ,and linguistics.
I love the idea of any art form that brings attention to the self and helps excavate a truer sense of self.
So what I'm curious about is what are people's thoughts/experience with the healing/spiritual nature of film?

Some of my favorites would be
The Holy Mountain-Alejandro Jodorowsky
An Alchemical epic set in an esoteric landscape
Mushi-Shi
A series of mystical journeys with a traveling shaman
Eternal sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
Do our memories make us who we are?

knightofalbion 11-11-2016 09:47 AM

The Lovely Bones and What Dreams May Come are two of my favourites. The latter is a charming testament to the power of love and survival of spirit. [A wonderful scene where the character played by Robin Williams wakes on the Other Side, reunites with his 'dead' pet dog and realises that great spiritual truth ...]
The former is, like life, gritty with both light and dark, but as always good triumphing n the end. And the film features some magical cinematic depictions of the Beyond.

thebeautifulsacred 11-11-2016 10:36 PM

The Secret Garden definitely comes to mind as a healing/spiritual movie. Without giving too much away, in the film, you see the development of the central character, Mary, from spoiled to her truer self. I highly recommend it.

lilith 21-11-2016 01:30 PM

THX 1138, Equus, Shame, Blue is the warmest color, Mood indigo, Jodorowsky's dune, Frances, Knight of cups...
I have so many. If you want pm me because I don't know if it's allowed to post links here? That would be easier.

Brucely 07-01-2017 10:02 PM

Knight, i totally agree those 2 were gorgeous. Dreams was a tad depressing though and how Williams was just allowed to cross from heaven to hell was a bit much. Cuba Gooding was perfectly cast. And the waterart style of heaven... Was, well, heaven

Any movie that isnt thoughtless has some kind of message to learn from. I recently saw a low budget called Real Time about a guy given an hour and a half to live (hence the title) and wow it was dark but ended with one of the best unspoken messages ive seen

Really! 08-01-2017 06:30 PM

Eat, Pray, Love ...

A great movie that I related to as well as helped me understand my own personal transition w/out feelings of guilt or self recriminations ...

kellyshane 01-06-2018 03:39 PM

I really like the idea of art film on spiritual topic

Alice_1 06-06-2018 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheInfiniteNothing
Hello
I am a film student with interests in philosophy,spirituality ,and linguistics.
I love the idea of any art form that brings attention to the self and helps excavate a truer sense of self.
So what I'm curious about is what are people's thoughts/experience with the healing/spiritual nature of film?

Some of my favorites would be
The Holy Mountain-Alejandro Jodorowsky
An Alchemical epic set in an esoteric landscape
Mushi-Shi
A series of mystical journeys with a traveling shaman
Eternal sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
Do our memories make us who we are?

Saved and noted when I will feel sick